my multimeter acting weird . need help

kryture

Newly Enlightened
My multimeter works fine 70 percent of the time. But at random will show a gradually decreasing or increasing voltage and slowly change. Here's the video link:

https://youtu.be/2HN7vMbdrX8

Happens at random. Maybe every 2 days or so. Tried replacing battery, the small fuse, cleaning the contacts, replacing with new leads, cleaning jacks. But issue still persists. 70 percent of time works fine. Check the internet there some other forum where maybe 2 other cases recorded such this, with no solution. I don't how to repair this, running out of ideas. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
At first I thought it might be related to temperature fluctuations but reading 36V when connected to a 9V battery is not just weird. It is broken. Get a better meter.

kryture

Newly Enlightened
Alas, the most dreadful answer. Been trying to troubleshoot like crazy. Right now the only thing i know is i can reset the meter by reinserting the large fuse or pressing some random sequence of buttons until it dissapears. What i suspect right now is some kind of parasitic leak happening at the back radiation shield foil ... will update if there's any outcome

Last edited:

kryture

Newly Enlightened
I guess you're right parametrek , This multimeter is done, Thanks for the input. :)
Tried insulating the foil EM shield at the back , but still same problem persist . :thumbsdow

I' ll just refer to the manufacturer to see if they got a reply that's other than "please send in to the nearest service center". :dedhorse:

:mad:
:sigh:

sld

Newly Enlightened
Try pressing the range selector or squeezing the meter from top back near the range knob and see it it clears up while holding it. We used to see meters in the cal shop acting something like this and the problem was the plastic PRB mount would be broken causing poor or intermittent contact with the contacts in the range switch. We were usually able to repair these with some epoxy.

kryture

Newly Enlightened
"squeezing the meter from top back near the range knob"

There seem to be some improvement when I do this. Thanks for the tip.

I've put in some 3M foam tape between the selection buttons to see if it helps. I'll update you guys within these 2 days.

kryture

Newly Enlightened
causing poor or intermittent contact with the contacts in the range switch.

Holy Cr*p! I think this was it. My issue so far resolved , can't make it acting up any more. Thanks sld, you're a life saver! :thumbsup:

I just change the "copper tabs" on the knob, the inside ones to the outside, then BAM! No more weird behavior anymore. I guess the meter got squished during shipping, flattening the "copper tabs" on the knob.

I m so happy no need to return the thing. This forum rocks! Thanks everybody! :D:D:D