Review: Nitecore MT42 (Tactical, 2x18650, XHP35, Thermal regulation) thermography

Budda

Enlightened
I received the MT42 from Nitecore For the Review.
The MT42 is a 2x18650 throw flashlight, equipped with a CREE XHP35 HD Emitter, and has a mechanical tail switch plus an electronic one at the head.

The MT42 comes in this box
Nitecore_MT42_01.jpg

The MT42, 228x50x25mm, 230grams.
Nitecore_MT42_02.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_04.jpg

Here in my medium sized hand.
Nitecore_MT42_11.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_13.jpg

The head contains a smooth reflector that focuses the XHP35 HD emitter.
Nitecore_MT42_10.jpg

There are cooling fins on the head and the backlight, electronic switch.
Nitecore_MT42_12.jpg

At the tailcap the mechanical switch allows momentary on and it is easily accessible.
Nitecore_MT42_08.jpg

Tailcap threads are anodized, so provide physical lockout.
Nitecore_MT42_05.jpg

Under the tailcap threads there are the threads for the cigar grip ring. Personally, I don't use the cigar grip ring on flashlights of this size as it is, but I always leave it on for extra grip and as an anti-rolling device.
Nitecore_MT42_06.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_07.jpg

At the head there is Nitecore physical protection against polarity inversion which also allows to absorb some recoil. The MT42 will only work with button top batteries, as written in the manual.
Nitecore_MT42_09.jpg

In the cordura sheath, which is MOLLE compatible and has a metal D-Ring.
Nitecore_MT42_03.jpg

UI
The UI is pretty straight forward: the tailcap switch turns the light on and off, with momentary on possible. While the light is on you can change the brightness by pressing the electronic switch at the head, scrolling throw ultralow, low, medium, high, turbo, in loop. When the light is on, keep pressed the electronic switch to pass at turbo mode, release the switch and the light will go back at the previous mode.
There are also flashing modes: double click the electronic switch to get to strobe, keep it pressed to scroll through strobe, beacon, sos in loop.
The electronic switch has a blue backlight and will blink 3 times if the battery has >50% of capacity, 2 times if it is under 50%, and flash once if the battery is below 10%.

Output and Runtime
Both tested with Nitecore 18650 3400mAh Protected batteries.
Nitecore_MT42_14.png

Nitecore_MT42_15.png

Nitecore_MT42_16.png

Nitecore_MT42_17.png

Beamshot 0.5 meters from the wall
Nitecore_MT42_18.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_19.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_20.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_21.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_22.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_23.jpg

Nitecore_MT42_24.jpg

I don't know how much can you see from this beamshots, but in the middle of the spot there is a small and hard to notice zone with less brightness. It gets more and more hard to notice as the distance increased. I could still see it if I pay close attention against a colored background at around 20 meters. At 75 meters I wasn't able to notice. So, I think it is a small issue that affects only wall hunters.

Thermal Test

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
There's really not much to say about this light.

• The regulation is good at all the tested levels
  • The ATR (thermal regulation) is present and works effectively
  • I like the screw-on tailcap ring that doesn't rotate
  • I like the regulation that gives quick access to turbo and SOS mode. The quick access to turbo and returning to the previous mode is very useful if you are looking something at a close range and you want to shine a quick burst of light at the distance, and then return to your previous brightness with a very simple operation.
In synthesis, If you need a 2x18650 light, without any timed stepdown, with good output, decent throw and a simple UI, I think the MT42 will suit your needs.

I would like to:

• Have quick access to a low mode,
  • Have a sheath that would cover the whole light,
  • Have the light available with a NW tint.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help, the tripod, the luxmeter and the thermal equipment

Last edited: