Fenix Outfitters        

View Poll Results: HDS Headlamp or HDS Keychain?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • HDS Headlamp

32 48.48%
  • HDS Keychain

34 51.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems Poll: HDS Headlamp or HDS Keychain?

Default Re: HDS Systems Poll: HDS Headlamp or HDS Keychain?

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    Lol just trying to spur conversation in an organized and fun way...
    Lol all in good fun my friend. Any addition to HDS threads is a good thing.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Another vote for a keychain light, even though AFAIK, HDS got its start with caving and headlamps.

Trouble is, both the keychain light and headlamp market is pretty saturated already. Not that I'd turn down an HDS variant of either!

Since we're daydreaming... a smaller light in a AAA form factor (afraid that AA size would compete with regular HDS offerings), but regulated with a long-running lower output (maybe 60-ish lumens), with high CRI, and able to run on Eneloops or lithium primaries would be pretty cool. Something akin to an updated Arc AAA for 2018.

On this poll, itís definitely time to say ďbuy bothĒ

So again Iíll vote for the return of the Action Light with modern emitters and batteryís.

But talk of the Aeon mkii makes me think of the Muyshond Nautilus or a Peak McKinley. Maybe borderline of about as big as you would want on a keychain, but it uses a 123A size cell, so a keychain light using this battery can share cells with the full size HDS lights, which is a big plus.

I agree that AAA lights are smaller, but they are extremely common, and I feel like HDS isnít about doing what everyone else is doing, and the AAA battery is somewhat limiting to output and runtime. I feel the 123A gives you big light capability in a still potentially compact package.

I voted for the headlamp but this is mostly a pocket real estate issue. Currently no vacancies on my key chain. Of course, if there were a key chain sized HDS light, something else might get displaced, but a headlamp would be altogether more useful for my purposes.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

One of the headlamps will be coming first, hopefully followed by something small for a keychain or whatnot, then Henry's dream headlamp...
    Henry's "Dream Headlamp" will be one impressive piece of engineering. We have discussed it for over 2 years and I have to say... it will be the first of it's kind and in true HDS fashion... but I think we are looking at a good two years before that comes to fruition. Other irons in the fire have to get done first and prototyping the "dream headlamp" isn't going to be cheap or easy. Hell, none of it is cheap or easy but it's definitely worth it. If the last two years hadn't been what they were, well, we would be much farther ahead, but things happened outside of HDS and outside of HDS control that ate up most of Henry's time.

I use a headlamp daily in the leather shop... Armytek Wizzard. Have had 2 Zebra and 2 Sparks as well, but those 4 eventually failed. I have 4 Wizzards and one has failed. I need an HDS headlamp.

My keychain light is a 4 Sevens Atom given to me by David himself. It's also what Henry has on his keychain. That is still going strong but it doesn't get a lot of use. Would be nice to have a little HDS there instead.

HDS has a long way to go, and I have certainly come to understand the "joys" of manufacturing. Vendors can't read calendars and are horrible at giving time estimates... very much like my girlfriend who has never shown up for anything on time in her life. She will show up late to her own funeral. I on the other hand try to keep a schedule like a Japanese train. Of course, I'm the one going to keel over from a myocardial infarction or hemorrhagic stroke.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Default HDS Systems Poll: HDS Headlamp or HDS Keychain?

I know Henry has stated he doesn't want a strap that would wear out. I think something like a hard hat strap would be durable as hell.

And for hard core use, (not me EVER) an optional chin strap.
    Last edited by Slumber Pass; 07-21-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Default HDS Systems Poll: HDS Headlamp or HDS Keychain?

Double tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    I know Henry has stated he doesn't want a strap that would wear out. I think something like a hard hat strap would be durable as hell.

And for hard core use, (not me EVER) an optional chin strap.
    This could be a balancing act. A tough strap may be uncomfortable. A comfortable strap may not be tough.

I'm picturing a thick strap of Hogo leather with an imperishable metal buckle printing into my forehead.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic

+1 on both the keychain and the headlamp HDS but for me, and I think I already mentioned it in the main thread some time ago, I'm looking to replace my 9+ years old Liteflux LF2XT so can't wait for the keychain to become available.

I'd much prefer it using a AAA over a CR2 for many of the reasons already discussed, the form factor being the main one and the availaility of the power source a close second.

I imagine all the F89HG emitters available were already used... but it'd be nice if some more could find their way into both the keychain and the headlamp. As always thank you Hogo and Henry for listening to us and keep up the great work
    Preon Stealth Black

Some type of attachment for hard hat use would be a HUGE bonus. Cavers wear hard hats..................maybe an option

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Some type of attachment for hard hat use would be a HUGE bonus. Cavers wear hard hats..................maybe an option
    You should post your suggestion in the HDS Systems EDC: Suggestions thread and I will update the Suggestion list.

tbh too many threads, just posted here as mentions headlamp. Gets confusing

I'm not going to vote on this one.

A keychain light is cool but i hate things on my keychain.

I do need a good headlamp, always been interested in the zebras but never pulled the trigger.

But if HDS is making it, ill probably buy both just because

I voted headlamp. I'm a little concerned about weight and comfort though. A headlamp built to HDS's rugged standards could wind up being significantly heavier than the plastic ones already on the market. The strap has to be comfortable too. Leather sounds awful to me (I do love leather in general). We replace batteries all the time when they wear out, so replacing a comfortable elastic headband should be no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by indigon View Post
    Not really an either /or thing..

I vote we consolidate all these polls into one thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    tbh too many threads, just posted here as mentions headlamp. Gets confusing
    Exactly right.
    P

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Darn it! I'll call Henry. Back to the drawing board.
    Now, don't tell anyone, but I really like the Olight S-mini... in titanium, of course. Do you think that size is too big even if it can use a CR123?
    I like the Olight S-mini as well, and it serves the role of decent light that doesnít hurt as much if I loose it. However, I find it an awkward size in that itís light enough that it doesnít fall to the bottom of my pocket but tends to float in amongst the other stuff in there. Itís also large enough diameter that it doesnít feel quite right on keychain. I think an HDS light that size with the convenience of battery type would be an excellent addition in a heavier material (like copper ;-) ).

Both! 1 for Keychain and 1 for the head but I think an angel head headlamp like Zebralight will be more useful.

Keychain aaa or rcr123 like s1mini copper and Titanium is more than welcome

dual fuel Headlamp tube for cr123 and one for 18650..

I would love a rotary UI headlamp but I don't like getting my hopes up from HDS as new ideas and products take decades to become reality like it's USSR.

Who's going to break the tie? It's currently 21 votes for Headlamp and 21 votes for Keychain... Hmmmm

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    Who's going to break the tie? It's currently 21 votes for Headlamp and 21 votes for Keychain... Hmmmm
    Me!

Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Keychain
    Donít Tread On Me

I just realized I hadnít voted yet. I voted for keychain light. First an Iím no expert here. I donít even play one on tv. But my thinking is a keychain light a twisty of course will be FAR easier to design build and sell. And itís something that everyone will use not just a few that are into headlights.ok to be fair Iím sure itís more then a few but you know what I mean.second and this is the big one Henry ďgod bless himĒ will not produce a product until he is dam sure ready that itís ready.so unless he has been secretly working on a headlight I canít see one of them coming out anytime soon. I vote keychain. Itís the quickest way to get a new HDS product.and my arc just died 😭😭
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

fwiw, a keychain light works as a HatLamp IF it has a bezel up pocket clip

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    my arc just died 😭😭
    sad, but an excuse to buy another light

The McGizmo Sapphire is based on the Arc AAA flashlight.

the light is Titanium, the Lens is Sapphire, and the LED is High CRI (choice of warm or cool):

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    The original Sapphire uses a converter I purchased from Arc Flashlights driving a Nichia 3 mm DS LED. The Sapphire 25 uses a constant current driver designed and manufactured for me

I left the test run overnight having started it at about 10 AM and the next day, 22 hours later, the LED was still lit but at about .2 lumens or so. The important consideration was that the converter did not shut off but allowed the LED to carry on as best it could.

Here is a less expensive model that is in development, still with choice of warm or cool High CRI, PLUS it works as a HatLamp too, since the pocket clip is reversible to bezel up. There is a tritium slot too!
    Quote Originally Posted by djozz
    pics link to original image sources
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-29-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Whoís ready for that keychain light?

I think I'm still broke

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I think I'm still broke
    Haha yeah theyíve been pumping out the pre orders for sure... Iím just ready for the ďholy grailĒ HDS keychain light. Plight and Nitecore are releasing some pretty interesting keychain lights these days...

Did hogo ever say when we might be able to expect these? I don't really need one but i probably couldn't pass 1-2 up either.

What would be the emitter choice, or are we going to have different ones we could choose as we do with current hds light???

That would open a can of worms and ensure a lot of sales

But there already is a head lamp...
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

wearing That at the next shot show will ya? Lol

Flashaholic

I voted keychain without a doubt. I really need a HDS keychain light that would be worthy to be called a backup to my primary EDC flashlight, my HDS EDC Excutive 250. Currently have a Fenix E01 or a Photon Microlight II for this role.
    Besides the headlamp that Henry previewed a couple of years ago was ridiculous, if anyone needs a HDS headlamp, IMO Henry would be better off producing a HDS branded head-strap for use with the HDS EDC lights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast