Surefire-based multi-color led flashlight

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I want a Surefire light with Amber and white leds. I looked at the new Aviator but the white output is pretty weak. Now I'm looking at the Oveready Triple V5 E Scout head and P60 drop in. The Scout on a E series body would be great to carry, but does it manage heat effectively? The drop-in in my bored 6p would have excellent battery capacity but would be harder to carry. Does one of these have better throw, or is it pretty even? Is heat management even? Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I believe that the basic light engine in both options you list above (TorchLAB v5 Triple - E/Scout vs TorchLAB v5 Triple P60) is the same ....

Of course, heat-sinking is dependent upon effective transfer of heat away from the emitter, and depends on many factors (including proper surface contact, adequate mass, shape and type of materials used, and similar)

The beam-shape will depend on the specifics of the emitters and optics chosen.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I think you also need to consider how you will is the colored light. On the SF aviator the colored LED still used the reflector resulting in some throw. The aviator also high a high and low mode for both LEDs.
The colored LED on the OR v5 is more like a mule. The colored LED has almost no throw. You are correct a out the white light output of the Oveready, it is much brighter then the SF. Both are great lights.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Dingle1911, thanks for the details. That helps me decide. I'm leaning towards the Oveready for the throw of the white, but I didn't realize the amber LED was more like a mule. Now I have to decide if I want to invest in building it around the E-series or get the dropin for my 6P.