NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Desperately need help with 9V sfe batteries am going "Nuts"!

Question Desperately need help with 9V sfe batteries am going "Nuts"!

After 10 yrs. my electronic Safe lock gave out i had a locksmith install the new highly touted Amsec ESL 20 lock and it worked fine for 3 months then nothing, locksmith said replace batteries and all is well, but didn't open safe much and 5 months late same issues now with summer here I shoot a lot and open safe 10X daily and after a week batteries are weak and just don't have the power to open lock.

Now I only use Duracells and they show 9.57V and find out I get 50-60 openings then acts up and will open usually on 2nd try and 30 attempts later nothing and need replacing, safe takes two 9v and on each set I have to replace show 9.37V next batch 9.42V an last set 9.48 and none of these have enough juice to open safe.

So this gets expensive and rechargeable batt. not recommended since they only get to 8.7 volt and the amps are not high enough.

Lithium 9v are slightly wider/thicker & wont fit some gadgets!

What can I do?

Thank You!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Desperately need help with 9V sfe batteries am going "Nuts"!

I've been using the Ultralife 9 volt lithium batteries and they work well.

As for fitment, mine go into a handheld light meter that uses part of the door cover to push the battery to make contact. Absolutely no problems.

Your other option is to purchase a battery tray for 6 AA batteries and wire your own connector. I'd still use a lithium primary AA battery though as alkaline batteries puke when you least need problems.
    A bit of Velcro and you're golden.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Default Re: Desperately need help with 9V sfe batteries am going "Nuts"

I would be tempted to hook up a 12v power supply and a variable resistor along with a voltmeter and crank the voltage down to 9v and try it and keep cranking the voltage down till it doesn't work to see the actual voltage needed. I would also measure the current draw under operation at 9v. This could give you ideas of alternative batteries. It may be that an 8.4v external lithium ion pack would suffice and even though the initial cost would be greater it could save you time and money on batteries over the years and make for not having to bother with batteries for a long time. They do make lithium ion 9v batteries also but I don't have any experience with them at all so I cannot recommend them but they could be an option to check into.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.