Lube question.....

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Does anyone lube the threads and the o-ring, or just the o-ring on their lights ? I saw SF said don't lube the treads just the o-ring. I always lube both, is that bad?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I guess this is not a big deal. I guess some do and some don't lube the threads, my question would be is there a reason not to lube the threads?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just the O rings for me. I try to keep the threads dry and dust free...

Interesting, I never considered that. I always lube the threads, because I'm concerned about the ano eventually wearing off if I don't. Plus, I think it adds a bit of extra protection against water. I tend to wash my lights often, so water is a concern.

My, yeah, I can see that attracting dirt or grit might have the opposite effect that I intend.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I live in a humid environment and I rarely feel any grit on my threads, I wipe them clean and reapply the lube maybe every 6 months. Some olights come well lubed.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Associated question: Do you remove the O ring to lube it completely, or just apply more to the surfaces accessible where it is installed?

I do not remove the O ring I feel I will tear them up I guess I need some spares. Yes, ideally I would remove the ring with a pick hoping not to stretch it and then clean everything and then lube the ring and re install it. Or re install a new one every year. Maybe I am anal.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
O-ring wont be damaged by removing it. It will be if you don't lubricate them and after long period if you try to remove it could brake or get streched. Tailcap threads are lubricated in factory but head isn't since it's common practice not to be removed that often unlike tail for battery charging/ replacement.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
O-ring wont be damaged by removing it. It will be if you don't lubricate them and after long period if you try to remove it could brake or get streched. Tailcap threads are lubricated in factory but head isn't since it's common practice not to be removed that often unlike tail for battery charging/ replacement.

I guess I will be removing them this weekend and cleaning and re lubing them then

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need to remove oring, just lube visible part where tailcap slides over. Nygel 760 is oring friendly lubricant so you wont do any damage. Everybody i know soak everything in it, threads and oring.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
You don't need to remove oring, just lube visible part where tailcap slides over. Nygel 760 is oring friendly lubricant so you wont do any damage. Everybody i know soak everything in it, threads and oring.

Okay, then I guess I am good then, because the o rings and threads have a good coating of the Nygel 7600.

Sos24

Enlightened
I usually lube both threads and o-ring, but I can see what some mean about in a dusty environment the lube might attract dust to threads. As far as removing o-rings, I usually do not because I think removing them often could stretch them, especially if they are in a slot that you have to pull them out of.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lube gives oring elasticity and it wont break or strech (that much) once fairly soaked.Flashlight orings aren't meant to be used in fuel and hydraulic, therefore Sos24 you're partially right. They're more similar to water hoses orings and will get streched more easily comparing to the same size automotive orings.

If you're interested in upgrade give it a look @www.oringusa.com

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
id30209,
oringusa.com does not come up as a valid URL address for me. Which is a shame, since I was intrigued by the name.
As for myself, I lube both o-ring and threads; previously with Nyogel, currently with Haynes Lubri-film. The change in product was simply one of convenience; I was getting low on Nyogel and ordering something on a site with had Haynes. I think that they are both probably pretty good. I don't go crazy with Silicone grease, but I probably tend to overlubricate, which I think does tend to attract dust and grime.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's www.oringsusa.com my bad, incorrect adress...
Since i have at work all kind of orings and lubes i don't pay that much attention. But one standard i allways comply is that every type of oring (only few) has it's own chemistry to be applied. Silicone goes on water systems, petrolatum lube goes on fuel and water system orings, hydraulic fluid on....correct guess, hydro orings. Give it a look on military standards and you'll find crossrefferences. Can be also found partially on that page

Last edited: