Imalent        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel and camping lights of choice

Default Re: Travel and camping lights of choice

I don't get out nearly as much as I should, but I like to mess with the heavier end of ultralight, with extra weight allowed for important tools, a bit more insulation than absolutely necessary, some non dehydrated food, recreational beverages, etc.
    But I keep things light and pack out trash to replace my lost food and beverage weight.
    My light, lighter, pocketknife, notebook, phone, are carried every day, there's no light weight substitution there, I just bring them along same as always, basically EDC plus a shelter package, sensible clothing, food and cook bag, water bags and filter, a few tools, compass and duct tape, mini pliers, needle and thread, etc.
    Ti3 on a necklace so I can find my H600w, or or shortened toothbrush or whatever in the dark while half asleep.
    I bring an extra 18650 battery and a AAA Energizer Lithium in case of accidental adventure, but I've never used up the first battery in either light on a 3 night trip, more like down to 60-80%
    Last edited by eh4; 09-05-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

At a bare minimum, I would take a Peak Eiger #4 high CRI with a pocket clip so it can be used as a headlamp on the bill of a cap.

More likely, I would take a Zebralight H52FW paired with a Quark AA tactical XP-E neutral. Below are the reasons why:

• two is one and one is none
    • shared cells with all chemistry options available (NiMh, Lithimum primary, 14500, alkaline)
    • headlamp for close-up work, hand-held for throw
    • versatile UIs that aren't obtrusive
    • tactical operation (Quark)
    • neutral tint
    • compact carry

It might be an even better idea to take a H52W (non-flood) with DC-fix so that it can be used as a more functional backup to the Quark. Supplementing the above combo with a 18650 light for runtime wouldn't be a bad idea, but not necessary.
    Last edited by NutSAK; 09-06-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    - Terry

Flashaholic*

For traveling, I usually bring FourSevens Mini 2AA XP-G2. It's compact, takes AA, twisty (no room for tailcap failure), 3 modes + hidden.

Sometimes I will bring my Quark 2AA w/ 18650 body along only during rainy season when power outages are frequent.

Don't revoke my flashaholic card but sometimes bringing too many lights kill the fun. 80-90% of today lights are pretty much have the same in features.
    Last edited by dealgrabber2002; 09-06-2018 at 10:16 AM.

I don't have many lights, so I would bring my Thrunite Archer, TH20 and since I always EDC the TiS it would be there too. If I was going to be in a place that required a lot of light (I know a relative term here but for me it is more than I usually ever use) the TN4A would come out.

For my uses all I had to do is look at any convenience store to determine what kinds of batteries would fuel my lights. Hence all my lights are 1AA, 1AAA...(maglite not included) I don't have to worry about ever not having a battery when I need it.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA, E01
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    So topic of the day for me is what light or lights to bring for general purpose travel and camping for a minimal pack. Iím not real specific on the trip itself I just know that I normally over pack on all type of gear... being CPF I also over pack lights. If Iím trying to trim all the fat, so to speak, what light or light combinations would you pick?

Myself, I always have my 1xAAA light on my keychain, currently a lumentop worm as. In addition to that I think my thrunite th20 headlamp would offer a good combination of utility and output vs runtime. Although its hard to leave something with the nice beam of my nichia 219 modded fenix L2T or 6p... or m31w C3....

What would be your minimum packing travel light?
    Not really a camper, but I was driving through Texas and Oklahoma for 11 days in the back half of July and had my Emisar D4 and EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky with me, along with an Xtar XP1 and MC1+ charger.

They were fine and didn't take up too much luggage space.

For out in the wilderness, for more than a few days, I'd have to think about it.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Zebralight H600w (with frosted tape) gets a lot of use. Sometimes I'll add my SC600w IV HI for a little extra throw. Both put out anything from .01 lumens to well over 1000. I can see a lot, I can see far, and I can run them for days or weeks on low to conserve power if necessary.

Plus, I can share power. If I know I'll have juice left over, I can pull the cell from one or both lights and put them in my Xtar PB2 to charge my iPhone. By the way, that is a nice, small, lightweight travel charger since it uses USB and up to 2A charge rate.

If I were one of those crazy people playing zombie attack, I would add a small AA light. But I'm not worried about it.
    GOOD TINT!

My packs have had fenix tk lights in them for the past few years. All cr123 lights.

Ill also bring along whatever is on my person, usually a smaller cr123 Olight. The packs all have extra batteries in them.

Can probably be updated but Iíve never felt like I didnít have enough light.

Lanterns can be really nice too if youíre doing a big pack out.

Going camping this weekend for two nights and contemplating an all E01 outing. One stock, one sanded with yellow diffuser for low in tent lighting, and maybe one backup in the pack.

These plans changed and I took a handful of lights to test/ see what I like better for camping. Hands down the SC53w was the all around favorite and most useful. Super low .01 was left on all night in the mesh pocket of my tent so I could find it easy for late night trip to the nearest tree. Once I grabbed it a double click got me to another low output that allowed my night adapted eyes to see easily while not disturbing others in the tent. Neutral output made for pleasant and natural colors also. Canít see a lick of tint shift when out and about in the woods. Used mainly sub lumens and prob 10 or so tops. Stuffed it in a stretchy bandana type thing as well for a makeshift headlamp. The stock E01 was really bright and harsh with night adapted eyes so didnít get much use. The Maglite was fun to play with and blast through the woods for a few minutes but not tor any extended use. My son ran around with a stylus pro but it was overall too bright for that setting. Biggest take away for me was the neutral tint and low output was key for around camp and even when out walking. The brighter lights and settings in a weird way made it harder to see overall because it takes away your night vision and lights up the area youíre pointing it at so much, that everything else is even harder to see ruining the overall experience. This trip made me more of a low output and sub lumen can thsn I already was. Actually the best part was when there was NO flashlights or lanterns turned on and the stars and campfire did the work. 👍🏼 Edit: also made me see how useful a dedicated headlamp would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Going camping this weekend for two nights and contemplating an all E01 outing. One stock, one sanded with yellow diffuser for low in tent lighting, and maybe one backup in the pack.

Flashaholic*

These plans changed and I took a handful of lights to test/ see what I like better for camping. Hands down the SC53w was the all around favorite and most useful. Super low .01 was left on all night in the mesh pocket of my tent so I could find it easy for late night trip to the nearest tree. Once I grabbed it a double click got me to another low output that allowed my night adapted eyes to see easily while not disturbing others in the tent. Neutral output made for pleasant and natural colors also. Canít see a lick of tint shift when out and about in the woods. Used mainly sub lumens and prob 10 or so tops. Stuffed it in a stretchy bandana type thing as well for a makeshift headlamp. The stock E01 was really bright and harsh with night adapted eyes so didnít get much use. The Maglite was fun to play with and blast through the woods for a few minutes but not tor any extended use. My son ran around with a stylus pro but it was overall too bright for that setting. Biggest take away for me was the neutral tint and low output was key for around camp and even when out walking. The brighter lights and settings in a weird way made it harder to see overall because it takes away your night vision and lights up the area youíre pointing it at so much, that everything else is even harder to see ruining the overall experience. This trip made me more of a low output and sub lumen can thsn I already was. Actually the best part was when there was NO flashlights or lanterns turned on and the stars and campfire did the work.  Edit: also made me see how useful a dedicated headlamp would be.
    My experience has always been that cool white really washes out details in a rural/wooded environment. Neutral/warm led lights work much better and don't need to be nearly as bright to be effective. Pak-lite now has a neutral warm model that I would take camping but sadly I haven't been for a while now.Not sure what else I would take probably a couple Malkoff powered neutrals and maybe the Hound Dog Neutral for fun/emergency as well as a few other small lights.Among the small lights would be the Streamlight Sidewinders that I added LEE filters to so I can see how they work out. Reading your post makes those warm Yuji modded EO1's from Vinh at Sky Lumen seem a bit more enticing.
    Last edited by ZMZ67; 10-08-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

...Biggest take away for me was the neutral tint and low output was key for around camp and even when out walking. The brighter lights and settings in a weird way made it harder to see overall because it takes away your night vision and lights up the area youíre pointing it at so much, that everything else is even harder to see ruining the overall experience. This trip made me more of a low output and sub lumen can thsn I already was...
    Hehe, he 'sees the light'..... again.

Side benefit - no additional batteries required.

Flashaholic*

Have been spending every weekend from may to september this year in a tent.
    In all kinds of crappy weather. Fishing season for me. But most of this period, I need no light. Use my keychain light sometimes to look in the bottom of the backpack. Got to love the midnight sun But when the nights gets darker i bring my zebra h600. Backup is whatever is on my keychain.

Hey! I never claimed to be a fast learner Uncle Reppans! I forgot to take my warm yuji Photon Freedom to try out. Probably wouldíve done a great job.

QUOTE=reppans;5248863]Hehe, he 'sees the light'..... again.

Side benefit - no additional batteries required.[/QUOTE]

I always bring my Thrunite TH20 NW. Very useful, lightweight and comfortable to wear.

For travel I usually have a Thrunite Ti3 in my pocket.

For (car) camping, I use my Fenix HL10 the most. I have a 3D maglight that I take. I don't use it much, but if I need light because like someone dropped a contact, then I've got it. I don't backpack anymore.

I just got a Streamlite Sidewinder. I haven't used it for much yet, but I expect it's going to become my general purpose go-to light. It fits well in my hand, it stands up, the head rotates, it's durable, and has good battery life. I think it's going to be great camping. On my last trip I lost two AAA lights. Just too small to notice when they end up on the ground I guess.

The Nitecore EA42 is quickly becoming my go to light for just about everything. It has a great range 1-1800 lumens, excellent throw, and good run times. Runs on 4 common AAís. My EDC light is the newly released Eagtac D3a, stepping up from the D25a Ti. 354 lumens on a single AA!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PiperBob View Post
    For travel I usually have a Thrunite Ti3 in my pocket.

For (car) camping, I use my Fenix HL10 the most. I have a 3D maglight that I take. I don't use it much, but if I need light because like someone dropped a contact, then I've got it. I don't backpack anymore.

I just got a Streamlite Sidewinder. I haven't used it for much yet, but I expect it's going to become my general purpose go-to light. It fits well in my hand, it stands up, the head rotates, it's durable, and has good battery life. I think it's going to be great camping. On my last trip I lost two AAA lights. Just too small to notice when they end up on the ground I guess.
    I really like the Sidewinder line from Streamlight. There are several different models according to your needs and I find the selector ring/switch to be one of the better UIs I have encountered in a multi-mode light. The switch does have some parasitic current draw but it is minimal especially on the 2AA models. The colored LEDs are a nice add on if you need more discreet output and I was able to add some filter material to "warm-up" the main LED more to my liking. I think the Sidewinders get overlooked due to their modest output but it is fine for utilitarian use especially in areas without ambient lighting.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Lightweight 18650 lights are probably what I would choose for camping.

Convoy C8 XM-L2 T6-3B Textured/OP reflector
    Emisar D4 XP-L HI V2 3A Floody 10623 optic
    Fenix TK47
    Last edited by Charlie Hustle; 11-06-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    "You have attracted people who are determined that ideology is more important than facts."
    Ted Koppel

Last edited by klrman; 11-04-2018 at 01:40 PM.

I'm currently re-working my travel and camping lights of choice. The Pak-Lite 4K is ideal for most casual flashlight and lantern needs in these situations because the battery lasts so long. It makes a great pairing for any more powerful flashlight as a backup or nightstand light. If I am going to bring a favorite light as my main light, the Pak-Lite always makes it into the bag. But I wouldn't be very happy if I had only that to navigate with (even though it's totally doable).

On trips where I'm trying to pack even lighter and only carry a single flashlight, lights with in-body recharging like the Surefire Sidekick have a big advantage. Then again, if USB power isn't guaranteed... AA or AAA lights are even better... I'm currently evaluating the Titan Plus, Malkoff MDC AA, and Zebralight SC53 for my needs in that respect.

Easy replaceability is also a huge advantage for travel: I wouldn't want to sour a good trip by losing an irreplaceable favorite EDC.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Are more traditional outdoor head torches not well respected?

I lean towards my petzl tactikka or black diamond icon.

So topic of the day for me is what light or lights to bring for general purpose travel and camping for a minimal pack. Iím not real specific on the trip itself I just know that I normally over pack on all type of gear... being CPF I also over pack lights. If Iím trying to trim all the fat, so to speak, what light or light combinations would you pick?

Myself, I always have my 1xAAA light on my keychain, currently a lumentop worm as. In addition to that I think my thrunite th20 headlamp would offer a good combination of utility and output vs runtime. Although its hard to leave something with the nice beam of my nichia 219 modded fenix L2T or 6p... or m31w C3....

O.K. the head lamp Is a given I have a Th10 and there great,pack 2 spare battery's DONE.
    Next an Atactical A1 In my pocket all day every day put In fresh battery's before I leave and I'm off.

Quote Originally Posted by marshc12 View Post
    Are more traditional outdoor head torches not well respected?

I lean towards my petzl tactikka or black diamond icon.
    Iíve owned multiple petzl and black diamond lights in the past, but I have boughten anything recently.

Petzl Tactikka = I hate 3xAAA lights. Itís a harder to charge in sets of 3. And 3 AAA batteries has roughly the same total capacity as 1 AA, so why not just go with the AA and keep things simpler?
    BD Icon = total capacity is better than a single 18650 light (roughly 3xAA = 1x18650). The external battery pack helps weight it on your head better, but the exposed wire can be a weak point. Throw it into a pocket or bag a bunch of times and you might start having issues. I had that happen to a similar BD light. Itís still way more bulky than a zebra light with a spare 18650.

The platic housing can be more susceptible to damage. And the plastic housing doesnít make a great thermal conduit. So you are a bit limited in how much heat the LED can generate.
    Ive found the zebra light style headlamps to be smaller and brighter and easier to charge than the more traditional.

The family and I usually car camp because my youngest girl is too young to do much more than that right now. Wife and kids all have their lights and I usually bring the following three with me...

Olight S2R Baton
    Petzl Actik Core HL
    Nitecore TM11

Flashlights imo are pretty easy to carry and donít take up a hell of a lot of room so when I travel or camp I bring a few. Always a Malkoff MD2 and a few hds lights. Never know whatís around the corner ya know?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle View Post
    Lightweight 18650 lights are probably what I would choose for camping.
    Those are only good if you pack a fully charged battery-pack. An extended stay in a remote area, you're going to be better off with AA or AAA primaries.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Unenlightened

I typically carry a survival LED headlamp. Easy usability and long lasting battery life and that makes it great for camping or hiking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12