Fitorch        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel and camping lights of choice

Default Travel and camping lights of choice

So topic of the day for me is what light or lights to bring for general purpose travel and camping for a minimal pack. Iím not real specific on the trip itself I just know that I normally over pack on all type of gear... being CPF I also over pack lights. If Iím trying to trim all the fat, so to speak, what light or light combinations would you pick?

Myself, I always have my 1xAAA light on my keychain, currently a lumentop worm as. In addition to that I think my thrunite th20 headlamp would offer a good combination of utility and output vs runtime. Although its hard to leave something with the nice beam of my nichia 219 modded fenix L2T or 6p... or m31w C3....

What would be your minimum packing travel light?

Default Re: Travel and camping lights of choice

For me it would be the Fenix HL55 headlamp and 10x CR123ís.

I just took a camping trip to Yosemite for a few nights and only took an E01. Worked just fine for general lighting and I put a green chapstick cap for late night in the tent.

At the very least it would be a Zebralight H600fc. However, I would carry a spare battery in another light and a spare for that... 😁

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    I just took a camping trip to Yosemite for a few nights and only took an E01. Worked just fine for general lighting and I put a green chapstick cap for late night in the tent.
    Youíre a legend Gurdy. No way I (or most of us) could have survived with just an E01
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Just a Zebralight H53c with a Photon Freedom as a backup. I can easily get 5 days of camping from 1xAA. Double that if I'm using an L91 instead of an Eneloop.
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    40 brands, 2027 models and still growing!
    NEW: battery search, sleeping pads search

My Olight headtorch and the twin battery pack that came with it.

If not camping I might leave the headlamp home, but if camping... it is definitely coming!

So... Crelant CH10 neutral XML2 18650 460 lumens high/low, and both are ramping programmable.
    Convoy S2+ XPL Hi with biscotti firmware set to include 0.1 % moonlight for use with a short 2 inch white lantern diffuser. This also acts as a spare 18650 battery carrier for the headlamp.
    A single AAA DQG mini to carry at dusk just in case it gets dark enough to want a light before I get back to my pack.

Last edited by Poppy; 07-27-2018 at 04:41 AM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

I would add a Nitecore LA10 as an area light for my tent/campground. Small, bright enough to read by if desired, yet at 8 lumens dim enough to leave on all night. With a weight of 43 grams plus the AA cell, it adds a negligible weight to your pack compared to the amount of light it can produce.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Recently I got to handle a Nitecore LR12. I found that in the lantern position it was a nice area light. It be nice in the tent or on the picnic table while camping. It also worked fine in the flashlight mode.

If trying to trim down the lights:

For camping I would do a headlamp that also allows taking off a using as a flashlight, like Olight H1 Nova. Then bring plenty of extra batteries. I would still have a backup flashlight which preferably takes the same type batteries as the headlamp (2 is 1 mentality).

For travel, the Nitecore SRT3 (or another similar). Because of its ability to use CR123s and AA, I have more options if looking for batteries.

Thatís a great setup for minimal camp lighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by parametrek View Post
    Just a Zebralight H53c with a Photon Freedom as a backup. I can easily get 5 days of camping from 1xAA. Double that if I'm using an L91 instead of an Eneloop.

I'm a minimalist UL camper and traveler and pursue preparedness via extreme versatility and multitasking. Headbands are too bulky/single purpose for me so I just clip/roll a light into my shirt collar (or use a cord) as a 'neck lamp' and business card from my wallet as a photo bounce card 'lantern'.

AAA Preon Revo SS, Quark Click running a 16650, and Nitecore F1 USB battery charger/meter/powerbank is my preferred UL lighting travel trio. Quark is programmed as a 4 mode ~0.5/3/20/250, with memory and a moonlight/low toggle (90% of my usage), or about the same I like my HDS programmed. The Quark is very efficient, so the 16650 runtime is way overkill for my typical low lumen usage, but it's another important option (with NC F1) to charge my iPhone and Inreach satcom, and also the 16650 tube will fit/run perfectly on any chem AAA/AA/CR123-sized cell; and in pinch, I can rig it to run on any battery (eg, 9v, D, 18650) with tinfoil/paperclip I keep in my wallet. The Revo is also easily rigged to run on any size alkaline/NiMh battery. The NC F1 not only makes a good 1oz travel USB Li-ion powerbank, charger, and battery meter, but it also provides the option to charge important USB devices from 3xNiMh or alkalines (AA, C or D).

Yeah I'm admittedly over the top, but there were a couple times (backpacking and big city blackout) where we had enough lights and batteries to scrounge, but unfortunately they did not match-up well. This just provides a lot more options to shift power around in a pinch, no matter what batts you can manage to scrounge up.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Thatís a great setup for minimal camp lighting.
    Thanks. Would you believe that there is a chunk of the ultralight crowd that takes only a Thrunite Ti3 (clipped to a hat) with their phone as backup?
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    40 brands, 2027 models and still growing!
    NEW: battery search, sleeping pads search

I usually bring two 18650-based lights, each with a battery inside. One of them is always my headlamp (Armytek Wizard Pro Warm), and the handheld light has rotated many times among different lights. My current favorite general-purpose handheld light is the Fenix TK09 for multiple reasons, but I understand why people would prefer plenty of other options for that and the headlamp.

I don't mind the extra weight for lights so I love the runtime of 18650 lights as well as high output possibilities in case a situation ever calls for more lumens than is typical. Plus it's fun to play around and one of my favorite things to do camping is play with lights. If I'm being completely honest I usually bring a monster light along as well but don't use it other than just showing off with friends.

Oh I believe it. Although Iíd take a few Ti3 as Iíve had some poop out on me for no reason. Hence the E01.
    Quote Originally Posted by parametrek View Post
    Thanks. Would you believe that there is a chunk of the ultralight crowd that takes only a Thrunite Ti3 (clipped to a hat) with their phone as backup?

For travel, I like the dual fuel Streamlight 1L-1AA - a good pocket light with great tint, a S clip that can go on a hat brim for use as a headlamp and it will run Cr123's or AA's or even AAA's in a pinch.

For minimalist camping/hiking, the Inova X1 is real nice; lightweight and will run near forever off a AA in low mode.

Primary:

Jetbeam RRT-2 With Cree XM-L2 3500K 80CRI + 1x18650

Perfect blend of making woods colors (browns, tans, dirt, trees, rocks...etc...) look "right" with decent efficiencies.

Used primarily on low, but medium and high a single-handed twist away.

The LED is cheap and readily available from Mouser.

My favorite beam, a nice juicy hotspot with great exterior flood and limited throw.

Backup:

Malkoff M61N in MD3 Tube with 3xCR123A and high/low switch with custom shaved head and custom shaved tail.

Used in low most of the time.

A little too narrow a beam for me but a great package overall.

Backup to the Backup:

Surefire L1 Digital LumaMax with 1xCR123A with Single Mode XP-G3 S5 Cool White Driven at 350mA

Cool white is not my cup of tea, especially when hiking; but, at the end of the day, lumens are what matter most!

Takes a single CR123A cell and lives in the same back pocket of my hiking pack as the other two.

Produces 191 lumens of floody emergency light for about two hours.

Exceptionally floody, great for making it back to the car or when the other lights fail (which they never should).
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 08-01-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Minimum would be my Zebralight SC600F Mk IV Plus - no need for a headlamp because it clips to my hat. I just got my hands on a CL30R lantern that I am excited to use. I never try to be a minimalist with lights.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    I'm a minimalist UL camper and traveler and pursue preparedness via extreme versatility and multitasking. Headbands are too bulky/single purpose for me so I just clip/roll a light into my shirt collar (or use a cord) as a 'neck lamp' and business card from my wallet as a photo bounce card 'lantern'.

AAA Preon Revo SS, Quark Click running a 16650, and Nitecore F1 USB battery charger/meter/powerbank is my preferred UL lighting travel trio. Quark is programmed as a 4 mode ~0.5/3/20/250, with memory and a moonlight/low toggle (90% of my usage), or about the same I like my HDS programmed. The Quark is very efficient, so the 16650 runtime is way overkill for my typical low lumen usage, but it's another important option (with NC F1) to charge my iPhone and Inreach satcom, and also the 16650 tube will fit/run perfectly on any chem AAA/AA/CR123-sized cell; and in pinch, I can rig it to run on any battery (eg, 9v, D, 18650) with tinfoil/paperclip I keep in my wallet. The Revo is also easily rigged to run on any size alkaline/NiMh battery. The NC F1 not only makes a good 1oz travel USB Li-ion powerbank, charger, and battery meter, but it also provides the option to charge important USB devices from 3xNiMh or alkalines (AA, C or D).

Yeah I'm admittedly over the top, but there were a couple times (backpacking and big city blackout) where we had enough lights and batteries to scrounge, but unfortunately they did not match-up well. This just provides a lot more options to shift power around in a pinch, no matter what batts you can manage to scrounge up.
    reppans my friend,
    you are amazing!
    Do you carry a stripped out USB cable? How do you connect 3x D batteries to the Nitecore F1 so that they can charge important USB devices?
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

When I go camping, itís an excuse to use my lights... so I donít usually pack minimally

For camping, I want to cover headlamp, flashlight, and lantern use cases... when I try to save space or weight Iíll choose one battery type, and pick lights accordingly, along these lines:

AA = Zebralight H52W, plus Eagletac D25A or a Xeno E03 with diffuser cone.

CR123 = Foursevens Atom AL/ALF headlamp, plus a Mini ML, and/or Olight S10 with diffuser cone.

AAA (one nighters) = Fenix HL10 headlamp, plus Lumintop Tool or Worm or Maratac AAA Nichia with diffuser.

Last week I came back from a camping trip in PA. I took my Zebralight H600F MKIII and Malkoff HD Super. I think I was the only guy out of a few hundred campers to have the most brightest setup there. I couldn't even play round with my lights on high for too long as to not to disturb others. Zebra floody was the most overall used and useful light. I think any primary camping backpacking light should be a floody. I definitely wanted to have a lantern to light up the cooking area all night, so I might consider investing in a Coleman liquid fuel lantern with mantels.

I'm slowly putting together a big box of Birthday gifts for a young Dutch artist whose work I enjoy. In the last box, I included some survival items. She mentioned she loves it when I get her such gear as she simply does not have much at all in that regard. So this time, I'm focusing more on such gear.

Among the items is a small but powerful mini headlamp that runs off of a couple of AAA batteries. Being a woman who enjoys hiking, but not multi-day hikes, she's more likely to carry stuff that is small and very light-weight. So that's what I'm going for. Last time, one of the items I got her was a purple Fenix E01. She loves it! Besides a giant novelty (but fully functional) coffee mug that she uses for tea, that Fenix is among the gifts she uses daily.

The Netherlands, according to her, has no wild predatory animals. Except in zoos. So the following won't be needed. But in other parts of the world, I'd say toting around a big heavy lumens monster geared towards throw, would be a very good idea while camping. At the very least, everyone at the campsite should have their own headlamp.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic

I try and get away at least once a year to somewhere really remote (usually Africa, Oman or maybe somewhere in the Pacific), always fishing, frequently camping. We're normally trying to cram a ridiculous amount of fishing gear into a tiny luggage allowance so I have to be smart about flashlight/battery choices.

I've now settled on an AA setup, Zebralight H52fw and an SC52W (iirc), Nitecore LA10 as an area light and, if we're really remote, a Nitecore EA45S. I can get most of that in my jacket/hand luggage without raising too many eyebrows at security. I carry a few spare Eneloop/Fujitsu pros but the EA45S is basically the spare carrier.

That lot covers me for a few weeks in a really remote spot (Assuming there's either some area lighting from the ground operator or we're so shattered after a day on the water that late night partying isn't on the agenda..).

HTH

Dave

Flashaholic*

If I'm backpacking I take two Surefire Titan-As and a light heads trap to allow one to be used as a headlamp. Maybe throw in a couple extra AAAs at most. If we're just packing in and day hiking from there I'll take slightly heavier gear, a Surefire Minimus MV and HDS EDC and a couple spare 123s. When we camp next to the car, I'll take all kinds of toys but the light I use the most is still Titan-A. So light, so compact and so capable.
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

Flashaholic*

What I take when traveling is subject to how I'm traveling. If in my truck then there all sorts of lights. In my wife's car on a trip last weekend I took a Surefire EDCL-2T and an yellow green Aviator along with some spare batteries. There is a already a G2x Pro and a G3 FYL in the car. On my person I had an Olight S1 mini and an I3T. I didn't this time but I usually wear a Surefire Titan A or B on a neck lanyard.

I've also got a small kit packed in my duffel bag that includes a Surefire E2L-A and an Olight H1 with spare batteries. I also usually throw in another kit bag with a Surefire EB2, Fenix CL-09 and Olight S1. ( On a recent road trip to Colorado I had the second kit plus an Aviator and EDCL-2T with me, no trouble with the TSA on the flight back.)

I haven't been camping in a while, two trips last year were cut short for family emergencies. Most of the time I'm either truck or kayak camping so weight is not a huge issue. I usually carry a Princeton Tec Apex of some model and some type of larger thrower, either a Maglite ML300 or Streamlight HL-3, sometimes a Olight M2X. Lantern wise I bring a pair of Streamlight Seige's, one AA and D cell. That's usually in addition to a couple of the above mentioned Surefire's.

I tend to overdo it but its a hobby and I like to cover my bases. In all honesty I could get by with the Aviator and the Olight H1 for 99% for of what I do camping.
    Last edited by WDR65; 08-17-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Flashaholic

For backpacking I carry three lights.. my old school Princeton Tec EOS 80L headlamp.. it just wont die and does everything I need. I actually had a black diamond spot that got wet and failed and I went back to the EOS. I carry a surefire.. usually my EB2 500L... because it is bulletproof, trustworthy, and simple, and can put a beam out there, and I carry an olight I3s EOS.

I will do a headlamp upgrade soon, i want lighter with longer run-time... and same or better brightness with a good all around beam shape. Some day i will swap out my surefire for an 18650 light of some flavor, but have not settled yet... olight, eagletac, thrunite maybe.

I've really liked my Armytek Wizard for general travelling. Mainly because of the super low 0.15 lumen and 1.5 lumen modes. They are perfect for night adjusted eyes. You don't have to worry about blinding yourself, or anyone else in the room that may still be sleeping. The broad floody beam is also useful indoors and out.
    If needed it can also light up an entire room so it's got a lot of range.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadcmpr View Post
    I've really liked my Armytek Wizard for general travelling. Mainly because of the super low 0.15 lumen and 1.5 lumen modes. They are perfect for night adjusted eyes. You don't have to worry about blinding yourself, or anyone else in the room that may still be sleeping. The broad floody beam is also useful indoors and out.
    If needed it can also light up an entire room so it's got a lot of range.

One of the endearing qualities of my TH20. Long press of the switch is direct to moonlight at an advertised of something like 0.1lm (although I think itís closer to a full 1lm). Double click for high/turbo depending on battery used.

Even keeping it light, a D4 and a Fenix tko9 are minimal for me, maybe my tk32 with rgb and more throw instead of tk09.

But who am I kidding, I never would go out without my T21vn. Single 18650 if need be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast