Illumination for older Kodak Duraflex

drphilwv

Newly Enlightened
2e2ad1d6ae3338f245ae99beffb1579d.jpg
2eb685169a5ec07afb96af6ece4097b5.jpg

Lovely older 620 film camera. It has this interesting flash bulb system. I'm aware that LEDs can't generate the lumens as rapidly or nearly as brightly as these flashbulbs. However, I wonder if I can replace the bulb with an LED I can turn on with a button to provide a short duration light that will help with indoor photography. Has anyone tried such a thing? Plenty of room in the handle. Anyway, if you're seen this tried please let me know!
Phil

jeff51

Newly Enlightened
Lovely older 620 film camera. It has this interesting flash bulb system. I'm aware that LEDs can't generate the lumens as rapidly or nearly as brightly as these flashbulbs. However, I wonder if I can replace the bulb with an LED I can turn on with a button to provide a short duration light that will help with indoor photography. Has anyone tried such a thing? Plenty of room in the handle. Anyway, if you're seen this tried please let me know!
Phil

I'll resurrect the dead thread. (Bring Out Your Dead)
drphilwv Did you ever do anything with this? Guess not with a POST count even lower than mine!

Many of these old cameras had a BULB setting for using the flash. If I remember correctly this was usually 1/60s.
You would need a stupid amounts of Lumens to get anything from a flashlight setup in 1/60s. Like maybe half a million.

The way to test this is to just shine any lights you want to try and snap a picture. See what happens.

The other alternative is to put the camera on a tripod, open the shutter and paint the scene with the beam. Then close the shutter. This makes nifty effects.

If you want to try to actually use the OEM flash. A better alternative would be to go find a used electronic flash and see if you could Frankenstein it into the old bulb unit.
To see it this would work, you could jump off the bulb contacts to the "new" flash and see what your get.

All the Best,
Jeff