Arc LSH-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived via Fedex today. I must say I am VERY IMPRESSED. The LSH pumps out a nice amount of light (it makes the AA and AAA Arcs look like a peashooter). Beam quality is very good. The light is white in the center, with slight very thin blue ring on the outer edge. Keep in mind this is the standard model--I expect the premium maybe doesn't have the blue ring. The body of the Arc is meticulous--perfectly applied finish and great fit of the parts. The holster is very nicely made, and nice and small. I like the option of the AA battery holder, although for carry I will use the 123. For around the house, I'm going to use the AA battery holder on the Arc.

That sale of $79 was genious--I'm sure several new people to the LS series will now buy more after getting their first. After actually holding an Arc LS, I know now it is worth it to have more of them. Its definitely worth its asking price. I'm going to save for the Arc LSH-P (Premium model), so that next one I get will have an even brighter and whiter beam.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LSH-P has a blue ring around the outside of the spill light. I don't notice it unless I shine the light on a white wall though.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
My LSH-P has a blue ring around the outside of the spill light. I don't notice it unless I shine the light on a white wall though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. For practical purposes, its not a big deal. Overall, the beam quality even on the standard model is very good.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam profile and tint will be similar to an arc LSH-P (the blue ring is probably caused by some chromatic abberation). the LSH-P will just be slightly brighter by a few lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah. I love my LSH-S. It is currently my favorite light. I must have been lucky and gotten a low Vf emitter, because mine runs for significantly longer than 2 hours and does not heat up nearly as much as my LSL-S that I gave to my brother (after he lost his--but then he found it again. Did he give me back the second LSL? Ah, no, his wife started using it, and that's all she wrote . . . unfair, really. I mean I want to spread the good news /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif about Arc flashlights, but providing one to my brother's wife seems a bit above and beyond the call!)

I love the tint of my LSH-S. It is the best LED beam I have seen to date, although that's not saying much, unfortunately.

Geode

Enlightened
The LSH-S is a great light! You are on the money about the comparison with the AAA, but the AAA will always be one of my favorites too.

I am now hoping for a LSH-P "get your foot in the door" offer, to add one of those to the collection.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint must be in the eye of the beholder.....

After just comparing the tint against my Pelican M6 LED (which has pure white tint to my eyes), I discoved the Arc LSH does have a slight tint to it.

When shining the two lights side by side on the wall, the Arc appears to have a dark pink to light purple tint. Not too noticable when the Arc is shined alone, but when compared side by side it is noticable. Now, this is NOT at all a distraction, because in daily use (i.e. when NOT shining on walls) the pinkish tint is not even noticable. But it does confirm to me that the LSH non-Premium model probably does have a little more noticable tint than the LSH Premium model. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to buy an Arc LSH-Premium and then compare it to my Pelican M6 LED.

And some day I bet Luxeons will be so perfectly white that some future light will even show my Pelican M6 LED to have a tint. I guess my point is that tint is hard to notice, unless compared against another tint side-by-side. I'm sure that with present Luxeon technology, there is NOT a perfect white tint in any of the current lights--rather the tints appear white only until compared to "whiter" tints side by side.

The new and upcoming UV Luxeons capped with RGB might lead to perfect white tints?

Anyway, I absolutely love this Arc LSH. I used it last night while on a night shift at where I work (I usually work in the day, but on election night and working for a newspaper company I had to cover the election results).

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Geode said:
The LSH-S is a great light! You are on the money about the comparison with the AAA, but the AAA will always be one of my favorites too.

I am now hoping for a LSH-P "get your foot in the door" offer, to add one of those to the collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. That would be specactular. I'd love a Foot In the Door sale on the Premium model.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your standard (the one on the left of your picture) has nearly the same color beam as mine. Slightly pinkish-purple.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
just for clarification: the tint of the arc LSH-S and LSH-P won't vary. it is just as possible for you to get an arc LSH-P in the same tint as the LSH-S, the only difference being that the LSH-P will put out more light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
just for clarification: the tint of the arc LSH-S and LSH-P won't vary. it is just as possible for you to get an arc LSH-P in the same tint as the LSH-S, the only difference being that the LSH-P will put out more light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So the premium doesn't have a higher graded LED?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
it does...it puts out more light than the LED in the LSH-S. the tint of both the arc LSH-S and LSH-P are within the same tolerances /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened
357, look at my beamshots. If my LSH-P had the tint of my LSH-S, it would have gone back to Arc.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Peter has said that he hand picks the LED for the premium based on color and output. The color of the premium should not vary as much as the color of the standard model. It should be possible to get a standard with a very white tint but lower output.

Daniel

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question on the switch:

I've read on a couple review boards that the Arc LSH switch can be tempermental (not durable). Is there a replacement switch that is better? Can an electronics dummy like me install an aftermarket switch easily? If there is a more durable switch out there, I'll be interested. I'm not sure I want to ship my Arc to have it done though.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
daniel: i think that used to be the case...i distinctly recall peter saying that the tint of the both the premium and standard models were similar, with the premium units having brighter LEDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

357: the problems that arise with the kroll switch are usually electrical intermittancy, due to the fouling of the electrical contact points caused by electrical arcing. you could try coating the contact springs and points with conductive or dielectric grease /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened
Winston, you may be right but I haven't seen Peter say that. If you are right, then Peter needs to change the LSH-P description on his site. As I stated, if my "P" had the tint of my "S", I wouldn't call it a "P".

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
it would be best if peter clarified his position /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif in any case if i were to rely on my experiences, the two arc LSH-S lights i have seen did not have as good a tint as an arc LSH-P i had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
daniel: i think that used to be the case...i distinctly recall peter saying that the tint of the both the premium and standard models were similar, with the premium units having brighter LEDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have both. The LSH-P was nice and bright and white, but the LSH-S had a definite bluish-purple tint and was much dimmer. It was quite similar to the SF Lumamax L1. The standard was obviously a lower bin LED.

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.