Malkoff        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEP VS LED

Default LEP VS LED

Light Excitation Phosphor VS Light Emitting Diode

What's your take?

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 07-31-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Re: LEP VS LED

The acebeam doesn't seem worth it next to that zoomie. It is a smaller head sure, but it doesn't look jeans-pocket friendly. And at that point I tend to lump lights into jacket pocket, so both would be equally as jacket pocketable for me.
    Last edited by twistedraven; 07-31-2018 at 07:41 AM.

I think this is a very promising start :-)
    Still nothing throws 205Kcd with a head diameter this size...
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I'm not a fan of the tint of the LEP. Does it offer any longer run time? The website states three hours but is that a constant output or a slow decline in output?
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the tint of the LEP. Does it offer any longer run time? The website states three hours but is that a constant output or a slow decline in output?
    Ran light for an hour. Body got warm. Lumen dropped from 175 to 115.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I think the future just got a whole lot more exciting. Early days, who know what may happen in the next 6m or 12m. Not into the crazy bezel thingy on the acebeam , but for its size and just 175lm....................its incredible. Just imagine 500-1000lm LEP in something like a tn42vn or GTvn....................

LEP is neato, hope the technology gets its due course of progressive development, but that Acebeam is $200 too much. idk about LEP, but laser technology is cheap. Just because LEP has different virtues does not justify the price. Maybe if it was in Ti and attractive and uber-reliable, but as it stands, IMO the personal investment looks like a bad one. Still, I dig the tech, and hope to see more LEP lights hit market, and I expect it to with what appear to be massive margins between manufacturing cost and MSRP.

Yeap. Itís actually $309 MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    LEP is neato, hope the technology gets its due course of progressive development, but that Acebeam is $200 too much. idk about LEP, but laser technology is cheap. Just because LEP has different virtues does not justify the price. Maybe if it was in Ti and attractive and uber-reliable, but as it stands, IMO the personal investment looks like a bad one. Still, I dig the tech, and hope to see more LEP lights hit market, and I expect it to with what appear to be massive margins between manufacturing cost and MSRP.
    Money sucks for sure but aside from future visions nothing really outdo it in this size. Nothing with this head does 205Kcd. But would I recommend it?...No. :-P
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Not sure if it's me but the LEP seems to have better color rendering. Also the LEP has a more intense light saber. Too bad the lumen output is so low and the price so high. Hopefully, we will see more progress in the future like we have with LEDs. I would be excited to see a 1MCD 1,000+ lumen pocketable thrower.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    Too bad the lumen output is so low and the price so high. Hopefully, we will see more progress in the future like we have with LEDs. I would be excited to see a 1MCD 1,000+ lumen pocketable thrower.
    Less than one year after this post we now have the Acebeam W30. Not 1.000+ lumen but only 500, on the intensity side we are getting more than your wish: 1.5 MCD instead of 1. Calculated throw 2.4 km... not pocketable but at least bagable (199.1mm x 61.0mm, 248 g).
    Weltool W3 and Acebeam W10 were interesting "tech demos", but the W30 is the first LEP flashlight that I would call serious.

Flashaholic

How did that LEP that Rasher sent you work out? Was that the W10?

I think LEP tech is very exciting, apparently Acebeam even has a high CRI version of their W30!!?

LEP is going to be great! It's expensive now but once the tech becomes more familiar that will settle nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by oeL View Post
    Less than one year after this post we now have the Acebeam W30. Not 1.000+ lumen but only 500, on the intensity side we are getting more than your wish: 1.5 MCD instead of 1. Calculated throw 2.4 km... not pocketable but at least bagable (199.1mm x 61.0mm, 248 g).
    Weltool W3 and Acebeam W10 were interesting "tech demos", but the W30 is the first LEP flashlight that I would call serious.
    199mm Or 119mm? Iím seeing 119, 4.68 inches. Big difference! Thatís easily jacket pocketable!!

W30 is insane. At a decent price point at $260 too. But Iím not sure if the beam is big enough to be usuable other than giggles or for pinpointing something out and for hunters. None the less, should be very fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    W30 is insane. At a decent price point at $260 too. But Iím not sure if the beam is big enough to be usuable other than giggles or for pinpointing something out and for hunters. None the less, should be very fun to play with.
    Agreed. The beam is so narrow it's really for a niche market.

I'd like to see someone make a LEP zoomie. Or maybe a dual emitter light with a LEP for distance and LED for close up.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen View Post
    199mm Or 119mm? Iím seeing 119, 4.68 inches. Big difference! Thatís easily jacket pocketable!!
    Based on the pictures and stated 61mm head dimension, software says the 199mm length is likely correct.

hi all,
    anyone that has a w30 beamshots please!

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Based on the pictures and stated 61mm head dimension, software says the 199mm length is likely correct.
    Thanks, website needs a update haha. Imagine all the people buying who planned to jacket pocket it lol!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen View Post
    Thanks, website needs a update haha. Imagine all the people buying who planned to jacket pocket it lol!
    Yes, hopefully Acebeam will catch it soon. Imagine something barely larger than an E07 throwing 1.4Mcd at 500L! I suppose some day we'll see that and more.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Agreed. The beam is so narrow it's really for a niche market.

I'd like to see someone make a LEP zoomie. Or maybe a dual emitter light with a LEP for distance and LED for close up.
    There is, pre-production prototypes being tweaked, I'm on list. 20000000 candela throw, zoomable from flood to 1/2 degree divergence, but it's going to be expensive - think Lemax superpower or Maxabeam pricing levels...

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    But Iím not sure if the beam is big enough to be usuable other than giggles or for pinpointing something out and for hunters.
    With its 1.8 degrees, the W30 is clearly a long throwing flashlight and not a laser pointer, and it's perfect to illuminate distant objects. A chimney on a roof, a bird in a tree, a rope route in the montain, checking surface integrity on a grounded airplane at night... for use cases like this, the W30 is just perfect. What I like especially: The (almost) complete lack of any spill due to it's aspheric lense. No disturbing and blinding bright near objects like a corn field, when you point it to far objects. The beam is perfectly round, a bright center, and a small corona.

I find the W30 very useful, much more than a toy.

Screenshots not available yet, I might take some soon as I have time.

Default LEP VS LED

Some quick and dirty beam shots.

BLF FW3A XPL Hi 5000K on turbo @ 70 meters.

Olight Warrior X @ 70 meters - very impressive light one of olights best imo, I notice they do them in desert sand and looks nice.

Jaxman Z1 with SST70 has about 2000 lumen does about 120klux @ 70 meters.

BLF GT with HXP35 Hi neutral, on turbo at 70 meters.

Acebeam W30 cool white @ 70 meters.

BLF GT @ 250 meters.

Acebeam W30 @ 250 meters.

BLF GT @ 350 meters, with approx 500mm zoom.

Acebeam W30 @ 350 meters, with approx 500mm zoom.

BLF GT @ 550 meters and 500mm zoom.

Acebeam W30 @ 550 meters and 500mm zoom.

Managed to get a beam shot @ 550 meters of the Acebeam W30 zoomed in at 3000mm - it was hard as there was so much wind/rain/particals in the air dark and it's out of focus grrr.

So to me it throws further than the BLF GT (all be it 500lm vs 2400lm) and waaay smaller to boot, hope this helps potential buyers.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 06-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Awesome beam shots! I just ordered the W30 and those pics make me confident it's worth the money I paid for it

I love to see this kind of beamshots without zoom...
    Typically I don't use any optical instruments to see far so no zoom reflects what I see much better.

But anyway - nice beamshots. And thank you for sharing.

I've got my Acebeam W30 a week ago and it's mindblowing. It throws further than my Firefox 3 and my Chinese Maxabeam clone. I'm just waiting for some low clouds so I can put a spot on it - this having been my dream for years.
    Malo odiat lux (Latin proverb - Evil hates light)

Quote Originally Posted by JulianP View Post
    I've got my Acebeam W30 a week ago and it's mindblowing. It throws further than my Firefox 3 and my Chinese Maxabeam clone. I'm just waiting for some low clouds so I can put a spot on it - this having been my dream for years.
    Please continue to update with more feedback regarding your experiences with this beast! And if you get a beamshot photo on those low clouds, please share! That alone might sell another handful or two of these.
    Thanks

Really wish they had made one too with the original host-- which was 2x21700 and a larger head.

Glenn, thank you for taking those beamshots and posting them! They answered a lot of questions for me!

What color temp is your W30?

Default LEP VS LED

Thank you Patriot.
    The color is cool white, I debated on getting neutral or hi cri but after talking to the sales guy and had him describe the tints to his eyes I went cool white.
    I have warm tints for throwers but side by side I always prefer bright white as warmer tints always look dull to my eye at a long distances, as throwers are for spotting things far away white bounces off more things than warmer tints. As itís focusing a laser onto the phosphor itís still kind of working like an LED through optics and like all zoomies you get a bit of side funckyness in tint but where it matters itís fairly neutral to my eye.
    But for most other general lighting I prefer neutral/hi cri.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 06-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Glenn. The excellent pictures caused to beam to appear neutral, which made me think, "if it throws like that in neutral, what's the cool white like?!" In any case, the color is relative when the white balance is locked so thank you again for the great pictures. I would also go for the cool white since that light's main task is to throw. I sure you'll really be enjoying that flashlight.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-12-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast