• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LEP VS LED

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Light Excitation Phosphor VS Light Emitting Diode

What's your take?

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The acebeam doesn't seem worth it next to that zoomie. It is a smaller head sure, but it doesn't look jeans-pocket friendly. And at that point I tend to lump lights into jacket pocket, so both would be equally as jacket pocketable for me.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I think this is a very promising start :)
Still nothing throws 205Kcd with a head diameter this size...

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of the tint of the LEP. Does it offer any longer run time? The website states three hours but is that a constant output or a slow decline in output?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a fan of the tint of the LEP. Does it offer any longer run time? The website states three hours but is that a constant output or a slow decline in output?

Ran light for an hour. Body got warm. Lumen dropped from 175 to 115.

ven

Flashaholic
I think the future just got a whole lot more exciting. Early days, who know what may happen in the next 6m or 12m. Not into the crazy bezel thingy on the acebeam , but for its size and just 175lm....................its incredible. Just imagine 500-1000lm LEP in something like a tn42vn or GTvn....................

night.hoodie

Enlightened
LEP is neato, hope the technology gets its due course of progressive development, but that Acebeam is $200 too much. idk about LEP, but laser technology is cheap. Just because LEP has different virtues does not justify the price. Maybe if it was in Ti and attractive and uber-reliable, but as it stands, IMO the personal investment looks like a bad one. Still, I dig the tech, and hope to see more LEP lights hit market, and I expect it to with what appear to be massive margins between manufacturing cost and MSRP.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
LEP is neato, hope the technology gets its due course of progressive development, but that Acebeam is $200 too much. idk about LEP, but laser technology is cheap. Just because LEP has different virtues does not justify the price. Maybe if it was in Ti and attractive and uber-reliable, but as it stands, IMO the personal investment looks like a bad one. Still, I dig the tech, and hope to see more LEP lights hit market, and I expect it to with what appear to be massive margins between manufacturing cost and MSRP.

Money sucks for sure but aside from future visions nothing really outdo it in this size. Nothing with this head does 205Kcd. But would I recommend it?...No. :p

SKV89

Enlightened
Not sure if it's me but the LEP seems to have better color rendering. Also the LEP has a more intense light saber. Too bad the lumen output is so low and the price so high. Hopefully, we will see more progress in the future like we have with LEDs. I would be excited to see a 1MCD 1,000+ lumen pocketable thrower.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Too bad the lumen output is so low and the price so high. Hopefully, we will see more progress in the future like we have with LEDs. I would be excited to see a 1MCD 1,000+ lumen pocketable thrower.

Less than one year after this post we now have the Acebeam W30. Not 1.000+ lumen but only 500, on the intensity side we are getting more than your wish: 1.5 MCD instead of 1. Calculated throw 2.4 km... not pocketable but at least bagable (199.1mm x 61.0mm, 248 g).
Weltool W3 and Acebeam W10 were interesting "tech demos", but the W30 is the first LEP flashlight that I would call serious.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did that LEP that Rasher sent you work out? Was that the W10?

I think LEP tech is very exciting, apparently Acebeam even has a high CRI version of their W30!!?

LEP is going to be great! It's expensive now but once the tech becomes more familiar that will settle nicely.

Less than one year after this post we now have the Acebeam W30. Not 1.000+ lumen but only 500, on the intensity side we are getting more than your wish: 1.5 MCD instead of 1. Calculated throw 2.4 km... not pocketable but at least bagable (199.1mm x 61.0mm, 248 g).
Weltool W3 and Acebeam W10 were interesting "tech demos", but the W30 is the first LEP flashlight that I would call serious.

199mm Or 119mm? I'm seeing 119, 4.68 inches. Big difference! That's easily jacket pocketable!!

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
W30 is insane. At a decent price point at $260 too. But I'm not sure if the beam is big enough to be usuable other than giggles or for pinpointing something out and for hunters. None the less, should be very fun to play with.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
W30 is insane. At a decent price point at $260 too. But I'm not sure if the beam is big enough to be usuable other than giggles or for pinpointing something out and for hunters. None the less, should be very fun to play with.
Agreed. The beam is so narrow it's really for a niche market.

I'd like to see someone make a LEP zoomie. Or maybe a dual emitter light with a LEP for distance and LED for close up.

Rasher

Enlightened
Agreed. The beam is so narrow it's really for a niche market.

I'd like to see someone make a LEP zoomie. Or maybe a dual emitter light with a LEP for distance and LED for close up.
There is, pre-production prototypes being tweaked, I'm on list. 20000000 candela throw, zoomable from flood to 1/2 degree divergence, but it's going to be expensive - think Lemax superpower or Maxabeam pricing levels...