Imalent        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEP VS LED

Default Re: LEP VS LED

I got a W30 coming my way to play with too ;-)
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

With 7x throw and 2.5x the output of the W10, I can't imagine that this light wouldn't impress. I'm eager to hear your reaction Vinh.

I am a huge fan of throwers so yeah...Cant wait
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Ha ha I wondered when Vinh would take the bait....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím eager to hear your opinion as well Vinh. Iíve been holding back from purchasing one of these. If thereís a vn version, I probably wouldnít be able to hold back anymore.

Flashaholic

I've got all of the current LEP models (Acebeam W10 & W30, Weltool W3, Maxtoch).

As for practical throw use, they are in order Maxtoch, W30, W10, W3.

The smaller lights are close, as are the two larger lights.

All fun.

Hi Vinh and all,

I have been keeping track of Vinh's mods and of recent flashlight developments, but didn't see anything new in the realm of throw since the CFT-90 LEDs, UNTIL NOW.

I have 3 Vinh BLF-GT's with the CFT-90, and 2 Vinh TN42's with the CFT-90. The 3 BLF-GT's produce around 5000-6000 lumens, and I measured their intensity from 1.5 and 2.1 Mcd (they are using different driver versions).

The LEP technology seems like it could bypass LEDs, including the CFT-90 and Oslon, so just to "test the waters" I ordered a Maxtoch Xsword L2k, through Amazon.

I received it today. It had three intensity settings; 500, 300 and 100 lumens.

At 500 lumens, I get consistent readings of 1.8 Mcd or higher with my Extech LT40 light meter, at 30 feet.

So it can attain the same candela rating as a Vinh-modded BLF-GTvn90, with 1/10th the lumens and a 2 inch head instead of a 5 inch one.

Vinh, I look forward to any modifications you can make to the LEP flashlights!!!!
    Last edited by star_c_star; 06-14-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    Modded: 2 REV-Victor Enth * 2 DEFT-X's * 3 BLF GTvn90 * 2 TN42vn90 * TN42vn Oslon * RC40vn40 * X65vn * Tmack: c11(638nm 957mw * 405nm 1w * v2 445nm 2.83w) * Cypreus (405nm 1w * 445nm 2.72w) * Tmag super (445nm 5.6w * 445nm 3.2w * 520nm 1.5w)

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    I've got all of the current LEP models (Acebeam W10 & W30, Weltool W3, Maxtoch).

As for practical throw use, they are in order Maxtoch, W30, W10, W3.

The smaller lights are close, as are the two larger lights.

All fun.
    Why do you favor the maxtoch over the w30? The w30 is like half the size and throws very similar. Is the beam that much different? I would think it would look almost identical since the head is about the same size.

I dont know any thing about LEP but I will look into it.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    Why do you favor the maxtoch over the w30? The w30 is like half the size and throws very similar. Is the beam that much different? I would think it would look almost identical since the head is about the same size.
    Because I do. What more do you want said? It throws further. It has a distinctly yellow tint when wall hunting, but in the wild, it is a nice tint that cuts through the airmass. Measuring mine indicates it is quite under-rated by maxtoch. I know of a couple of other tests that show similar over-performance.

The acebeam is also a nice light - if forced to keep just one, I'd be fine with either.

I just wanted details to why thatís all. Iím looking to either purchase the w30 or the maxtoch. So now I know your reasoning, itís helping with my choice. If you would have said the maxtoch has a wider bigger hotspot, then I definitely would have chosen the maxtoch. But since I like cool white, and the smaller size, Iím gonna go with w30 now. Thanks for the info Rasher.

I thought about getting the Xsword but in the pix and videoís the tint looked green.
    The W30 got me with size, cool white tint ss bezel, tripod mount and being waterproof to 100 meters, included 21700 battery with built in micro USB charging (on battery) and cable, a battery status light plus cheaper price got me.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 06-15-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Maxtoch provides green filter with the Xsword IIRC. Some beamshots were with filter on. Default beam should be a warm white.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Maxtoch provides green filter with the Xsword IIRC. Some beamshots were with filter on. Default beam should be a warm white.
    It is quite yellow, but only noticeable white wall hunting. Outdoors at night seems pretty nice to my eyes for getting the job done. Have had no need to try filter out, but it indeed comes with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    I thought about getting the Xsword but in the pix and videoís the tint looked green.
    The W30 got me with size, cool white tint ss bezel, tripod mount and being waterproof to 100 meters, included 21700 battery with built in micro USB charging (on battery) and cable, a battery status light plus cheaper price got me.
    Where did you find a cheaper price? I'd like to buy the W30 but I'm having a hard time making a decision because of the price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I got mine from Andrew Amanda on eBay. Made them an offer

Quote Originally Posted by star_c_star View Post
    I ordered a Maxtoch Xsword L2k, through Amazon.

I received it today. It had three intensity settings; 500, 300 and 100 lumens.

At 500 lumens, I get consistent readings of 1.8 Mcd or higher with my Extech LT40 light meter, at 30 feet.

So it can attain the same candela rating as a Vinh-modded BLF-GTvn90, with 1/10th the lumens and a 2 inch head instead of a 5 inch one.
    1.8 Mcd seems quite low? even if you get slightly different readings from different meters, 600Kcd is a lot of variance.
    Rasher said he prefers the Xsword for practical use, maybe it has a wider profile beam? So I wonder does it throw better than the W30.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    1.8 Mcd seems quite low? even if you get slightly different readings from different meters, 600Kcd is a lot of variance.
    Rasher said he prefers the Xsword for practical use, maybe it has a wider profile beam? So I wonder does it throw better than the W30.

1.8m kcd is 2600 meters of throw, that is not low. In order for the light to throw far it has to have a beam doesn't diverge very much. It's probably as thin as the W30.

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    I dont know any thing about LEP but I will look into it.
    Please do. But please be careful to always use appropriate eye protections, warn others not to enter the room etc. You can find the standard list of stuff to take care of online.
    These are dangerous toys...

Quote Originally Posted by Agpp View Post
    Please do. But please be careful to always use appropriate eye protections, warn others not to enter the room etc. You can find the standard list of stuff to take care of online.
    These are dangerous toys...
    ďlook into itĒ

I c wat u did ther.

Not entirely joking, I believe .... Modders should be aware that LEP contains a ( shielded? ) laser, as I understand this.

Disassembly would require additional safety precautions, beyond what might be usual for traditional flashlights.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Because I do. What more do you want said? It throws further. It has a distinctly yellow tint when wall hunting, but in the wild, it is a nice tint that cuts through the airmass. Measuring mine indicates it is quite under-rated by maxtoch. I know of a couple of other tests that show similar over-performance.

The acebeam is also a nice light - if forced to keep just one, I'd be fine with either.

how much of a throw difference is there between the W30 and Maxtoch? I ordered the W30 because i had no idea maxtoch created a lep light. if its not a substantial difference i will just stick with the W30. If it is ill have to order the maxtoch aswell
    Flashlights: X65vn,Tn42vn, Boss1vn, X6vn SSCU, X5 kronos, U21vn, m43vn, FD41vn, SDminivn, H20vn, E01vn, Catapult v5, Bkfa09s, XT15, S10R Baton III, 55w hid spotlight 1,100,000cd

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1234 View Post
    how much of a throw difference is there between the W30 and Maxtoch? I ordered the W30 because i had no idea maxtoch created a lep light. if its not a substantial difference i will just stick with the W30. If it is ill have to order the maxtoch aswell
    Both can throw (in a truly dark surroundings) far enough you'd want optics. For "practical, usable" throw (~1/3 to 1/2 the FL-1), the difference to my eyes is small - a bit brighter at those distances with the Maxtoch. The latter is also much warmer, so if there's mist/etc., it cuts through a bit better.

Like I said earlier, I'd be fine with either. I'd venture the Maxtoch should have a bit longer runtime by virtue of cell configuration/count, but I've not tested them for this.

I much prefer the single 21700 formula of the W30 but you have to hand it to Maxtoch for having the upper hand on performance. I wonder how much of that is due to a voltage advantage in the Maxtoch or is this simply a difference that can be chalked up to the larger optic?

I would really love to see some lux testing to see what they actually throw vs the factory numbers. Because it seams like they both throw better then the factory numbers
    Flashlights: X65vn,Tn42vn, Boss1vn, X6vn SSCU, X5 kronos, U21vn, m43vn, FD41vn, SDminivn, H20vn, E01vn, Catapult v5, Bkfa09s, XT15, S10R Baton III, 55w hid spotlight 1,100,000cd

Flashaholic

I would really love to see some lux testing to see what they actually throw vs the factory numbers. Because it seams like they both throw better then the factory numbers
    I'm way to lazy to do that - but I am planning on taking the Acebeam W10 & W30, MaxToch XSword, MaxaBeam, Xevision Superpower 85 (hopped-up Lemax Superpower), and the Weltool W3 (if it's back from Vinh) out to a very dark area, lining them up pointing up and each separated by 20 feet or so, and having a buddy that's a photographer with night shoots expertise take an image or ten from his house on a hill several miles away. Should make for an interesting comparison...

I'm way to lazy to do that - but I am planning on taking the Acebeam W10 & W30, MaxToch XSword, MaxaBeam, Xevision Superpower 85 (hopped-up Lemax Superpower), and the Weltool W3 (if it's back from Vinh) out to a very dark area, lining them up pointing up and each separated by 20 feet or so, and having a buddy that's a photographer with night shoots expertise take an image or ten from his house on a hill several miles away. Should make for an interesting comparison...

Please post the results here! Would LOVE to see that. Or the lounge, whichever haha

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen View Post
    Please post the results here! Would LOVE to see that. Or the lounge, whichever haha
    +1 to that. I'd love to see that kind of shot.

To anyone with a W30 and knows how to remove the aspheric lens I need help. Mine came with a extremely dusty lens to a point where it may actually be affecting preformace. I got the ar lens off but there is a plastic ring holding down the aspheric lens. I need to remove that lens to clean the underside of it where most of the dust is. Brand new light and the light loos like it was assembled in an old dusty house.

To anyone with a W30 and knows how to remove the aspheric lens I need help. Mine came with a extremely dusty lens to a point where it may actually be affecting preformace. I got the ar lens off but there is a plastic ring holding down the aspheric lens. I need to remove that lens to clean the underside of it where most of the dust is. Brand new light and the light loos like it was assembled in an old dusty house.
    Don't mess with LEP optics unless you really know what you're doing.
    If you misalign it or undertighten it or near-misalign (so an impact misaligns it) and you or someone near you will be close to a serious injury.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast