ArmyTek        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LEP VS LED

Default Re: LEP VS LED

i am only talking about the aspheric lens part. if i knew how to remove that ring then it would be as easy as popping it out cleaning it and then popping it back in. im not going to touch any of the lep components. just the lens of the front
    Flashlights: X65vn,Tn42vn, Boss1vn, X6vn SSCU, X5 kronos, U21vn, m43vn, FD41vn, SDminivn, H20vn, E01vn, Catapult v5, Bkfa09s, XT15, S10R Baton III, 55w hid spotlight 1,100,000cd

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1234 View Post
    To anyone with a W30 and knows how to remove the aspheric lens I need help. Mine came with a extremely dusty lens to a point where it may actually be affecting preformace. I got the ar lens off but there is a plastic ring holding down the aspheric lens. I need to remove that lens to clean the underside of it where most of the dust is. Brand new light and the light loos like it was assembled in an old dusty house.
    Don't bother. The visibility of dust/etc on the primary is exaggerated by the method of light production: every one of my now 5 different LEP lights, from 3 different manufacturers has what seems to be a much "dirtier" main lens than one would expect. I opened a couple, lens inspection showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Sure, it would be nice if these were assembled in a clean room, but that's not going to happen.

As an aside, you'd be surprised how dirty an optic can look and still have negligible effect on its performance. I'll see if I can dig up a paper I have on the subject, but bottom line, don't fret it in these LEP pieces.
    Last edited by Rasher; 07-01-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Typo

It's going to bother me so much lol 😂
    Flashlights: X65vn,Tn42vn, Boss1vn, X6vn SSCU, X5 kronos, U21vn, m43vn, FD41vn, SDminivn, H20vn, E01vn, Catapult v5, Bkfa09s, XT15, S10R Baton III, 55w hid spotlight 1,100,000cd

Flashaholic

It's going to bother me so much lol 😂
    Living with it will be a character building experience.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

i am only talking about the aspheric lens part. if i knew how to remove that ring then it would be as easy as popping it out cleaning it and then popping it back in. im not going to touch any of the lep components. just the lens of the front
    That's not a small thing.
    Just below the lens, likely attached to it, is a mirror which redirects laser light shining across the phosphor towards head side where it's dumped. You don't want to mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Agpp View Post
    That's not a small thing.
    Just below the lens, likely attached to it, is a mirror which redirects laser light shining across the phosphor towards head side where it's dumped. You don't want to mess it up.
    i got it apart. you are incorrect. there is an open void under the lens. the lep components are not exposed at all. all the lep components are securely screwed down under another flat lens about 1.5 inches below the aspheric lens. i could see that before i even took it apart.

i got it apart. you are incorrect. there is an open void under the lens. the lep components are not exposed at all. all the lep components are securely screwed down under another flat lens about 1.5 inches below the aspheric lens. i could see that before i even took it apart.
    That's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Agpp View Post
    That's good to know.
    its actually really well designed.

I tried a INR Vapcell and a 40T and to my eye it's brighter again than supplied battery.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    I tried a INR Vapcell and a 40T and to my eye it's brighter again than supplied battery.
    Along the lines of "I switched power cords and now my stereo sounds better"... without measuring it, I'd be surprised if there's any difference between differing fully-charged cells.
    Last edited by Rasher; 07-07-2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo

Acebeam uses buck drivers for their lights iirc. Different cells shouldn't affect output because the input power is constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    I've got all of the current LEP models (Acebeam W10 & W30, Weltool W3, Maxtoch).
    Can you post some side by side photos of W10 and W3 lights as well as beams? I'm trying to decide between the 2.

Got my Maxtoch lep light today. It's a great light. However it does not beat my W30. They are about the same. Maybe a slight edge to the W30. I measured 1.9m cd with the maxtoch and 1.98m cd in the W30. I'll be sending my W30 to Vinh for an current boost.

Flashaholic

Got my Maxtoch lep light today. It's a great light. However it does not beat my W30. They are about the same. Maybe a slight edge to the W30. I measured 1.9m cd with the maxtoch and 1.98m cd in the W30. I'll be sending my W30 to Vinh for an current boost.
    LEP roulette: my maxtoch clearly beats both my W30. Myself, I've decided I'm not going to muck with my toy LEPs and will keep them stock, the S90 will fill the bill for insane candela soon enough.

I may however take one of the acebeams over to the optics lab and do a focus analysis/test - I'm curious as to the tolerances the factory ends up satisfied with.

i got it apart.
    I just got my W30 and noticed the same kind of dirt. Did you manage to clean yours up a bit better? Also, if you can share any details on how to get the top lens element out I'd appreciate it (to me it looks like the top silver ring is the retaining disc, but I haven't examined it all that closely yet).
    Last edited by DBO6; 08-08-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123