try linux

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hey linux is very cool.its easy to learn its free go here and pick a distro linux my fav is gentoo and puppy puppy is very easy it runs off a cd or thumb drive so ya can play with it but not install it

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently freeing up an extra hard drive to put Linux on (I don't feel like partitioning). I haven't picked a distribution yet. What about Debian?

I can't wait to finally give that guy with the gla$$e$ the boot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
tried RH9 a while back then switched to slack and never use windows anymore, didn't even make a windows partition on the 60g drive I put in my laptop.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Mandrake Linux 9.1 Powerpack Edition. I have always gotten the Powerpack. I started with either 7.1 or 7.2 Powerpack. Mandrake 9.2 is the current version, and 10.0 is either in Beta or RC testing.

I have also used SuSE 9.0 Pro. Both are rock solid. Debian is also, though I have not gotten the courage to try a Net (internet) install.

Lux, it is very hard to get away from Windows entirely. Some things are better in native Windows boot, like games and things that require Hardware graphics acceleration. Other things work fine in Win4lin Workstation (version 5 has Software DirectX support), though you need a legal copy of Win95, 98, 98SE, or ME (NT, 2K, and XP NOT supported at this time).

The best thing to do, is download the free (or close to) versions in .iso format, burn them to cdrom, and install that way, or, check out ebay, or www.linuxiso.org and go from there.

Linux is a bit frustrating at first, coming from Windows, but you soon get the hang of things.

Come on over to www.mandrakeusers.org and get to know us. It is not strictly for Mandrake, and much of it applies to many distros. Also, it is not part of MandrakeSoft and membership is free, like CPF. The people are also like those here: very friendly. I am Sarissi over there.

LukeK

Enlightened
I also made the switch from windows a few months ago. I'm using Mandrake 9.1 right now but I'm about to install Debian through the Knoppix cd (Knoppix is extremely cool for showing off Linux to your friends). Debian is a great distro but it's not really for those that are just beginning, unless they like a challenge. Mandrake is a great distro for those who are just starting. Installation is a breeze and it allows you to experiment without delving too deep (until you are ready). Suse is also good for beginners but it's not legally free.

I will say this:

If it weren't for one or two windows games, I wouldn't even have XP installed on my machine. I haven't booted into winders in over a month. I've been extremely impressed with Linux and I encourage those who are sick of windows and enjoy learning new things to try out a linux distro, even if it is just a trial. You need not even install a distribution to try it out. Simply go to the knoppix website and downoad their .iso file. Burn the cd and stick it in your cd drive -- it will load everything up and you can try Linux without installing anything on your hard drive. When you're done just pop out the cd, reboot and you're back to windows.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:...Lux, it is very hard to get away from Windows entirely. Some things are better in native Windows boot, like games and things that require Hardware graphics acceleration. Other things work fine in Win4lin Workstation (version 5 has Software DirectX support), though you need a legal copy of Win95, 98, 98SE, or ME (NT, 2K, and XP NOT supported at this time)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, I'm still using Win98.

Legal? For $90 it ought to be. $90 worth of legal duct tape, that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Another vote for OS X. Started on Linux, graduated to Jaguar, now I use Panther.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LukeK said:
I also made the switch from windows a few months ago. I'm using Mandrake 9.1 right now but I'm about to install Debian through the Knoppix cd (Knoppix is extremely cool for showing off Linux to your friends)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean you're just booting with Knoppix and then installing Debian, or does Knoppix have some sort of built in upgrade capability to full Debian? If so, does it avoid the complicated installation of Debian?

shabbasuraj

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Another vote for OS X. Started on Linux, graduated to Jaguar, now I use Panther.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knoppix is a Debian based distro. One of the easiest ways to install Debian. Linuxiso.org has the full set of 7 Debian ISOs.

Linux is a good way to go, if you don't want to fork out the cash for (or can't afford) a Macintosh.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a full legal windows CDROM. No 'rescue' cds will work with Win4lin.

One reason I use Win4lin, is my Lotus SmartSuite 97, which I got real cheap on eBay. I have always loved the Lotus Word processor (Ami Pro on Win 3.1 and Word Pro since then).

Version 5 allows you to use the current Windows Media Player, Realone, and Quicktime. Nice if you are having problems with a media file and don't want to reboot your computer, just to watch it.

LukeK

Enlightened
Lux Luthor --

Just like Charles said, Knoppix is Debian heh. It's basically just a form of Debian. As you seem to have found out, Debian can be tricky to install. The easiest way is to install Knoppix (Debian), change out your sources list file with ones that correspond to Debian, run apt-get update (and a few other commands) and voila -- you've got yourself a Debian distro. You'll need to do some downloading and compiling to get your favorite programs installed but that's made pretty easy with Debian. (not for 56kers generally speaking, unless you're patient)

Edit: Forgot to include the link. You can find more detailed info about it here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10474

charliek

Enlightened
Redhat 7.3 user here... I also have a Slackware 9.0 box that does some "serving" at home, and another "junker-box" with Windows 2000 (on a KVM switch with the Redhat box) for those time that I can't work around Windows (Hardware like my Camera are unsupported for now).

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
I'm currently freeing up an extra hard drive to put Linux on (I don't feel like partitioning). I haven't picked a distribution yet. What about Debian?
I can't wait to finally give that guy with the gla$$e$ the boot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Mandrake would be the "friendliest" one to start with.

Although, I hear good things about Suse as well. Debian is a tough install for a newbie; Slackware is about as friendly as a coiled rattlesnake (but there's just something about it that I love)

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Apple guys, a while back there was a Windows software thread where a couple Linux guys started talking about Linux and the mods frowned on it since we were steering that thread off topic. I think its only fair to treat the Linux thread the same way.
Since you posted anyway, the problem with Apple is they are no better than Microsoft and therefore not a viable alternative to Microsoft. How can I say that? #1 They both suffer from being closed source. #2 They both follow the same unfair monopolistic business practices but where Microsoft monopolizes the PC software market, Apple monopolizes their market. While Apples market is much smaller the similar business practices make them both undesirable. What makes PC hardware so great is the openness of the standards. When you do as Apple and require Apple compatible hardware and/or clones to pay licensing fees which severely limits competition and choice just like Microsoft does to the PC software market. Now I must politely ask that if you wish to argue/refute/discuss my points please start a separate Linux vs. Mac thread rather than pull this thread further off topic. I don't mean to offend, just want to keep things fair.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the years I have tried many different Linux distro's. I have been using Xandros (Debian based) for a little over a year now. Started with Xandros 1.0 and have upgraded to Xandros 2.0, it works for me and I like it.

Ok, you Mac guys should check this out ..... Yellow Dog Linux for PowerPC

Now give us back our thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

charliek

Enlightened
I have quite a collection of distributions... I used to collect mini distros- floppy sized and mini-cd sized. Yes, I've tried Puppy Linux, and it's pretty cool- there is also "Damn Small Linux" Very active- watch it every week or so for updates. Based on Knoppix. I used to love to try to see just how small of a PC can I shoehorn a distro on. Had a 486box I called the "Frankenpooter" (because I made it from other dead PCs) that I used to run a tiny distribution called "Pygmy" that was Slackware based. Lots of fun, and quite a challenge.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't happen to have slack for alpha processors do you. I'm having trouble downloading it, all the ftp sites claiming to have it don't.