Help with my Lumentop ODF30

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Matt here.

I lost my old login information but I'm not necessarily new to the flashlight world. I have always used tail-cap flashlights and was fond of doing custom work on p60 hosts. However, I have been fascinated by the XHP70 LED's and how much lumen it can put out.

Here's where I stand on flashlights. I never modified lights with side-switches and whether it can stand up to a fixed amount of output. The ODF30 is an electronic side-switch with a non-removable head. That said, I cannot gain access to the driver, side-switch or head assembly to see why it is now malfunctioning.

Problem:
The light doesn't want to respond to my input. A single click sometimes cycles and sometimes doesn't. Often times, it have a 1-2 seconds delay and then reacts to my input. This is where it goes into turbo mode so many times when you press the button and nothing happens...Press again and it goes straight into turbo because of the lag. Sometimes it doesn't want to turn off when I hold down the switch to shutdown. When holding down the button to get into moonlight mode, it does nothing or sometimes goes into moonlight mode. From there, cycling the modes will sometimes happen correctly but that usual 1-2 seconds delay will cause it to either jump into turbo or do nothing at all.

Are side-switch lights this sensitive when it rolled over and dropped from a lawn chair's arm-rest? Yes, the massive 26650 battery was inside the light when it dropped from that 2-feet height.

I've already emailed Lumintop about the issue and have not gotten a return email. Is this a very common problem with more modern lights with side-switches? Any suggestions to how to get it to work properly again? I've already popped in a fresh-charged battery (Keeppower IMR 26650 5200mah) and no avail.

malocchio

Newly Enlightened

I just ordered one , perhaps a newer issue ( has a usb port )......Still no word from Lumintop ??...Did you buy direct from them ?

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the late reply. I finally got a hold of my account.

I ordered it from Lumintop through Amazon. They asked me to ship it back to them because engineer thinks the side-switch is dislodged from the drop. It is covered by their warranty but the shipping is taking a relatively long time from the States to China. Maybe it's under customs?

I got a chance to look at the newer version. Aside from the coloring and USB port, the light looks the same--switch and all.

I guess it's time to start looking at the old tail-cap switches since they've never gave me any problems.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I have the newer model, the ODF30C with usb charging, but my switch is doing the same thing as yours. The fault seems to have been carried over from the original model.

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
I have the newer model, the ODF30C with usb charging, but my switch is doing the same thing as yours. The fault seems to have been carried over from the original model.

That was my main concerns with electronic side-switches. They sit loosely, perpendicular to the driver with nothing holding it in place and stabilizing it besides a couple of solder points to the driver. Give it a little drop and either the switch or the PCB breaks loose from their solder joints. Mechanical switches are much more reliable but I don't know if they're able to handle the amount of draw modern LED's needs to power up. The worst part is that side-switches offer no way of maintenance and replacement when they start to fall apart. Nor do they have replacement parts readily available.

This is why I prefer tailcap switches. Primarily because I know that I can get any tailcap swapped out to a McClicky switch with just a little visit to a machinist for a threaded ring.

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
It's the tailcap design..

The tailcap design have been corrected. They were originally spring tabs and Lumintop changed it over to a gold-plated coil spring. I already looked into this part and nothing seemed damaged or loose before I emailed them. Nevertheless, I will be updated when the light is fixed.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap design have been corrected. They were originally spring tabs and Lumintop changed it over to a gold-plated coil spring. I already looked into this part and nothing seemed damaged or loose before I emailed them. Nevertheless, I will be updated when the light is fixed.

They just reversed the ends on the newer model. Now the spring is in the tail cap and the solid brass with the tab is in the head.