HDS Systems        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vape as smoking cessation

Default Re: Vape as smoking cessation

My brother in law and his wife are about a year into trying to quit. Both are/ were a pack a day, give or take. They both carry and use your carpenter pencil sized e-cigs, Mr. Fixer. When we get together, I really don't see them smoking less, just puffing on these more. I think the small size and convenience makes it easier to smoke more. Had a friend who was trying to quit, he started rolling his own. Didn't pre-roll any, but carried everything with him to "make" a smoke when he wanted one. Made it somewhat inconvenient and time consuming to smoke, which helped him cut down.Hang in there, stick with it. It's worth the effort.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Some say "oh, second puff from a nicotine vape and I was done smoking". Perhaps some could stop that easy. Most?
    No... Freakin'.... Way!!

You've gotta say no. Be it cold turkey, using a nicotine vape crutch, losenges, gum, chantix.... You still at some point have to say no.

My brother told me today that tonight was his daughters first night of fall dance class. This is her 4th year. He stopped smoking about the time I started this thread. He told me that he times when to go get her eight minutes early so he could smoke one cigarette. He said this year he instinctively left 8 minutes early and discovered "oops, I don't smoke anymore".

I just started trying out the micro nic vapes. So far the carpenter pencil is out. Super strong juice reminds me of smoking pencil shavings and makes my heart race.

The credit card one takes away my urge to smoke but requires priming each time I use it to get a drag. Then the next one is a choker.

The flashdrive one seems like a Goldilox. Juuuuust right.

But to be honest, if I have cigarettes and a vape in my pocket, the cigarette still wins. So the idea is to not carry cigarettes around the construction site and vape instead. It covers all kinds of habits like hand to mouth, something to hold and even teeth hold is not an issue for me, personally. So far so good.

Tonight I'm having an after sundown cigarette. First one in October. I love being outside on a crisp evening and enjoying just one cigarette is bringing back all kinds of fond memories.

I sense I'm nearly done smoking cigarettes as the other morning when I first woke up my first thought is no longer about cigarettes. I got in the kitchen with the Mrs who asked if I wanted some coffee and a cigarette. I said "no thanx".... I had slept in that day and just didn't care for a cigarette until much later. And even then I was just going through the 40 year habit of motions.
    John 3:16

You'll puff your lung out. Just like little Ralphie shot his eye out in A Christmas Story.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Mom, I want Santa to bring me one of these.

We'll see, but don't get your hopes up.

~ Mom
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Just don't lick the flagpole...

Fah, rah rah rah rah...rah, rah, rah, raaah....

^ Whenever I see copious amounts of smoke pouring out of a car, I can't help but think of Cheech n Chong.

If you've seen Withnail and I, you'll recognise that spliff as a Camberwell Carrot.
    If you haven't seen it you really should.
    P

The other day at work it was a nice sunny, warm day. The safety guy on the project I work at is a vaper. He does big clouds.

His monster truck was sitting near a small crowd who had just seen him walking around some 50 yards away. So, he had his windows down and smoke is all pouring out of the cab.
    Being a vaper I figured he had gone back to his truck and taken a big toak. Sun was at an angle they could not see him in the truck....

One guy says "hey, Chris's truck is on fire" while another guy went scrambling for a fire extinguisher. Chris the safety guy saw the commotion and popped his head out the driver side window laughing. "It's just me guys"....

Chris stopped smoking cigarettes 4 years ago by vaping. He is a retired fireman. He said the fire dept had offered him $5000 cash to stop for a year 4 years ago.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-05-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Does the "Big Clouds" thing depend on the proportion or the veg oil and the other one? I have to say that people with big clouds over here (hasn't really caught on in N Norfolk) are actually a bit of a hazard. It's like a Human Bonfire walking along the road.
    P

The vegetable oil puts out more steam, yes. The other stuff supposedly provides flavor better. Also allows more efficient vaporizing. Some use a wee bit of water and less 'poly glycol'.
    Those guys use a coil that has low resistance and a lot of volts (watts) to cook the juice more effectively. It's like a gas grill on low or high.

Now to get all that steam out of the tank there is massive airflow available to allow the vacuum cleaner style suction to bring all that steam through a larger chimney system than the old school cig-a-like way. A larger tank is required to get more than a few clouds without running out of juice and "smoking" the cotton wick.

About the time the public over here had gotten past the stigma that folks were steaming weed in those wacky looking pens with bent straw mouthpieces attached to a AA looking flashlight device, in steps the cloud making folks who tend to offend everybody within 50 feet of them.

I used a cig-a-like 10 years ago and had nearly stopped smoking. But the dang things were unreliable. Cigs on the other hand were not.

This spring I noticed folks in traffic whose vehicle looked like they were on fire. Then I saw cloud makers at bus stops, outside of office buildings etc. I kept thinking "man those people are stupid". Then my heart started doing weird stuff when I smoked. Vaping again?

Well I did not want that crap I tried before, nor did I want to carry a box the size of a motorcycle battery to breath in copious amounts of steam. I stopped at a tobacco store and bought a pod.

Very discreet, very portable, very satisfying. It was just a matter of finding the right mix for my tastes. Mrs. Fixer wanted in so I hooked her up too. She does kinda-clouds where I exhale a slight whisp of steam.

The former smoking cloud makers I know do about 2-3 an hour to get their nicotine supply. I do mine like a cigarette. Mrs. Fixer does about 10 drags a day. Maybe 20 on a day she doesn't smoke. I vape between cigarettes to make time gaps between smoking farther apart.

Folks say "you need more nic" or "you need to inhale more vape" in order to stop smoking. I figure why trade an oxycodone addiction for heroin? So I do less nicotine each day a little at a time. One day I just have to suck it up and say no to the coffin nail.

I'm getting a new truck for work soon. I figure a good start will be to make a pact to not smoke in it. My current, I did not for like two weeks. But one day while driving home the weather turned lousy at rush hour. Driving on a crowded interstate while it snowed was freaking me out when it turned from water on the pavement to slush. I lit up and that was that. I told the boss "it was that or pull over at a liquor store and have a belt". Now I'll just vape.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-05-2018 at 04:09 PM.

This week there was another meeting with agencies 1, 2 and 3. This time it was 2 folks from the feds (agency 1). One was a gun toteing grandmother dressed in sweat pants. The other was a laid back fisherman/hunter type. Trouble is with Feds is what you see aint what you get.

Agency 2 sent a rogue employee who is firm enough, yet reasonable (hence the rogue part).

Agency 3 sent a crack-pot kid who is trying to make a name for herself. (Just the thought of this chic causes me to smoke.) She was nervous like a cornered animal. Now usually the big boss tags along and handles the politics. This time yours truely was the MC. Now I knew that the agency 3 person's job was on the line. I also knew that gun toteing grandma was a member of the NRA so we had common ground. I also knew that Fed guy number 2 fishes at spots where my brother in law fishes. (Turns out they know each other). The wild card was the gal from agency 2. She's like a hamster...they let you pet them then suddenly bite for no reason. But hey, I got this.

I had started using a flash drive device recently and had it in my pocket as we walked the project end to end. I did not smoke a single cigarette during our jaunt that lasted 4 hours. Now the contractor foreman who attended went through his entire can of 'backee' and started a new one. lol. I offered him a puff of my vape at one point.

Oh, and agency 3 had sent a veteran who used to have the job the current enviro-twirp now has. He's a nature lover and was all jazzed about the fall colors and cool weather.

When it was all said and done agency 1 advised agency 2 to back off agency 3 as our project is an example they will use in future discussions of how things are supposed to be done. Fed dude 2 took me off to the side and asked me how I can keep from wanting to punch the enviro-twirp in the face. Agency 3 veteran dude stated how bad things were before I arrived and how there now seems to be a team atmosphere. The enviro-twirp to this day thinks she is the reason things turned around. Agency 2 gal asked if my company would be interested in hiring her.

It was an amazing day and when it was all over I had a cigarette. But just one. Oh, and after our walk through there were zero corrections required. None.

My project has gone from meeting one having some 300+ corrections required to zero this time. While the politicians pat each other on the back with glee now that the Federal government has been satisfied my thoughts turned to "sigh...alright, what's next?"

Vaping instead of smoking played a roll.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-10-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Well done, you're like a swan - serene on the surface and paddling like hell underneath.
    P

Can I use that Pete?

Well put. I learned a long time ago that wearing your heart on your sleeve causes the sharks to think you are wounded prey.

Image is everything. And with practice it's easy to intimidate the shark by being invisible. He knows you are there, but being potential prey his own self wonders what weapons the quiet fish is keeping secret.

By nature most people fear what others think. By seemingly happy go lucky in many cases causes initial impressions to be counter-productive. That guy don't take things seriously enough. But it breaks the ice in most cases as the care free person does not pose a threat. It is only the wise who understand from the beginning that gentle does not mean weak. Gentle people understand it takes more strength to be gentle and kind. The quiet person understands the other quiet person is likely taking mental notes.

Carefree confidence is often times intimidating too. He doesn't seem to care, how come he's so confident? Uh oh, what does he know that I don't?

I give clues at first. Example is while others avoid puddles while walking a construction project because they don't have water proof shoes or wear 'goloshes' that squeak so they are embarassed their boots make farting sounds. I just walk through them since I wear gore tex lined boots year round. That is surprisingly intimidating to most that I'm not afraid to get my feet wet as they tip-toe around water spots.

Another thing I learned by watching Steve McQueen movies is he looked down a lot. Not in a nervous style. But in a way that subliminally cast a confidence within himself as if he was guarding his 3 foot circle. If you watch him in movies he only made eye contact to make a statement. When he did make eye contact it caused the other to blink and look away. Alpha male in the canine world. Yet he did it in a non threatening way.

I work near the beach lately. A place where fashion dictates fishing or surfing related brands. But the crowd all wear like symbols from local companies or Florida. I show up in Honda racing attire. Again, it evokes a sense of confidence to not be like the crowd yet can be intimidating to some at first. How come that new guy don't look like us? Not some outragious statement mind you but subtley different, like Steve McQueen always wore British style attire like sweaters and trousers on the movie set.

And carrying a subtle vape device ensures nobody is offended by the smell of burnt tobacco. A nice fruity exhale is calming like lavender to the crowd as well. No big plumes of steam are annoyances either. Instead the non-smoker types get a vibe of somebody trying to become more healthy instead. A nice apple with a hint of blueberry invisibly wafting past? Who don't like that?
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-10-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    By seemingly happy go lucky in many cases causes initial impressions to be counter-productive. That guy don't take things seriously enough. But it breaks the ice in most cases as the care free person does not pose a threat. It is only the wise who understand from the beginning that gentle does not mean weak. Gentle people understand it takes more strength to be gentle and kind. The quiet person understands the other quiet person is likely taking mental notes.

Carefree confidence is often times intimidating too. He doesn't seem to care, how come he's so confident? Uh oh, what does he know that I don't?
    I'm afriad you just managed to describe my life in two paragraphs.
    I've managed to piss a lot of people off without even trying, no wonder I'm a semi hermit.
    P

Some say hermit.
    Some say bystander.

You decide.

At home I'm an introvert. At work folks think I'm an extrovert. Hell I thought I was until taking a personality study survey for a class back in the spring. It said I'm an extrovert when necessary.

The only time I'm not a vape fan is on some of our group motorcycle rides. We have one guy who The Wife and I try to be in front of all the time. He's a cloud vape kind of guy, and likes grape flavored liquid apparently. As in 1980's Bubble Yum grape. Grab you by the shorts and squeeze grape. I don't think he goes five minutes between hits, on or off the bike. It becomes much after a while. Mr. Fixer- Glad work's going well!

When riding with my vaping brother I'm like "dude roll down the "beep" window" then I notice he already had.

I'm starting to think vaping while still smoking is like taking a pill to lose weight. Sooner or later I gotta feel some pain to do it permanently. Respecto-mundo for you doing the cold turkey thing Scout.
    Bravo.

Cold turkey was just the only way that was going to work for me, certainly not the best way for everybody. I have a friend who will only smoke when he's well into a night of drinking. He'll have 5 or 6, and not have another for 6 months, a year. Me? No way. The hooks are too strong. I wish I could turn it on and off like that.

Me too mone-frair... Me too.

Whatever you do, don't try "Clove Cigarettes" either. Last time I started after quitting, it was because of them.

I heard of those but never tried one.

My little flash drive shaped vape pod is helping a lot.

Today was a double fist day. Vape in one hand, cigarette in the other. If I had patches and nicotine gum I may have done those too.. with some Redman 'backy in my gums.

But I vaped......
    Yeah, I smoked a few to celebrate not chain smoking at times. But I mostly vaped my little flash drive sized device.

My new 'crack' pipe(s)
    No button to push. Temperature controlled so each puff is nice and gentle. Better than a cigarette.

Mrs. Fixer added a painting to hers.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-19-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Thanksgiving day was set up as a smoke free day since a bunch of non smokers were slated to hang around. That and a high of 30 something degrees outside.

Made it 4 hours.... family does what family does so there went that.....

Hi there,
    I've heard about some occasions of vape explosions. Was always afraid of that. But luckily nothing bad happened. I've been vaping for half a year already.
    Was difficult for me to choose my device. Was reading reviews on VapingDaily as I had no friend or relatives who vape haha So had no other choice as to read and choose it myself without someone's recommendation.
    If you're interested I use Morpheus Vape Mod Kit. Never had problems with this model.
    Now want to buy a new one so decided to write here.
    The main thing I like in vaping is that I can control the dose of nicotine I consume.
    I hope to leave that habit soon too, as it seems easier for me than quit smoking.

Is that a 'pen' style device?

Basically the explosion thing happens when folks use batteries not capable of handling a load. Sometimes it happens from a battery that was sold as a more power able battery than it really is or they over tax the battery with a power hungry device.

You can search 'mooch battery reviews' for finding out the good types and other really good info.

Most that come with a built in battery or include a removable are fine.

I like being able to decide the nic content too. That and all those yummy flavors. Mmmmmm
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-04-2019 at 04:23 PM.

My brother was using big ole twin battery mods, then as he saw my smaller devices were able to provide the 40-ish watts and ginormous clouds he began adjusting to smaller devices. As my devices got smaller so did his. When all I used were flash drive sized Renova Zero devices that cook at about 11 watts he found one that gave him a good drag at about 15 watts called Innokin EQ.

Lately he uses one called JustFog MiniFit that is about the size of a BiC lighter. It puts out a good drag for those who use a direct lung technique. According to some the refillable pods are easily rebuildable. My brother says he can but parts are so small so he buys extra pod tanks. (Actually he is too vein to wear reading glasses.)

My brother is 100 precent tobacco free by vaping. I'm still smoking at certain periods of the day and vaping at other times.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-15-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Alright, I made the jump. I wanted an easy pod device to start with. Of course, I considered the massively popular Juul but got some coupons in the mail for the Vuse Alto kit. Reviews looked decent so I made my way to the store and walked out with the Alto starter kit with one pod and a 2 pack of pods for less than $23.

I have very little expirience with this stuff other than a few disposable e-cigs and a couple drags from a Juul. However, the Alto is a much better value than the Juul for sure; pods are cheaper and larger. Starter kit is a bit cheaper as well.

Most pod systems seem to aimed at beginners, which is fine but all I care about is fewer cigarettes and so far that is working.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast