Thrunite R5 P60 Dropin

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I got my hands on a Thrunite R5 Multimode XPG dropin. It is the only commercially available P60 dropin I could find in my country.

Chucked it into a Solarforce host so as to run rechargeables with it. It comes on on high, but has a very short "flicker", in that it comes on, goes ever so slightly dimmer for a split second, and seems to go back to full brightness again.

It only does this on "high", the other two modes don't do the same.

Trying to wrap my head around it, it looked to me like the driver is trying to figure out what to do with the 18650's voltage (don't laugh, I'm a techtard!). To check, I put a freshly charged 16650 in there, with the same result.

I then used two CR123 primaries, and the issue disappeared.

Any ideas from the more enlightened guys as to what could cause the flicker?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Think you hit the bulls eye dead center. It quite possibly wants more voltage than an 18650 puts out.

Do you know what the rated voltages reccomended are? ie what does ThruNite reccomend it run at voltage-wise....

parametrek

Enlightened
Out of curiosity does Kaidomain ship to your country? They have some good P60 options.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Think you hit the bulls eye dead center. It quite possibly wants more voltage than an 18650 puts out.

Do you know what the rated voltages reccomended are? ie what does ThruNite reccomend it run at voltage-wise....

I can't really find much info on this dropin online, except for the following:

• 300 Lumens (1A Drive Current)
• 3 Output Modes H -> M -> L - 100% > 40% > 1% = 300 lumen -> 120 lumen -> 3lumen
• 2.7-9V input voltage
• Cree XP-G R5 LED
• Outer spring is removable for some fitments
• Aluminium textured/OP reflector with bronze heatsink base
• Bezel diameter: 26.5mm
• Copper base diameter: 19mm
• Height including support spring: 36.7mm
• Height excluding support spring: 28.8mm

So it would appear that it should be able to function with a 4.2V battery, so long as it can provide 1A draw, which an 18650 can do in its sleep?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Out of curiosity does Kaidomain ship to your country? They have some good P60 options.
Have never heard of them, will have a look, thanks.

What we mostly do is to use forwarding addresses from the US, otherwise our stuff gets "lost" to the postal system here.