Jetbeam        

Thread: Portrable 18650 charger - Nitecore LC10 or Folomov A1?

Default Portrable 18650 charger - Nitecore LC10 or Folomov A1?

Hi there,

I have:
    • 18650 Flashlight
    • USB-C Phone
    • USB camera batteries charger

And I'm now looking for the lightest charger so that I can use the 18650 that I carry anyway, to charge
    these devices.

I came across the Nitecore LC-10 that seems pretty nice, unfortunately they use micro usb instead of usb-c.
    Then there is the Folomov A1 which also looks nice, and has only the USB plug.

What I’m wondering is, since it always needs to convert the 3.7V of the 18650 to 5V, the Nitecore F2 might be more efficient, although heavier?

When would you chose which one?
    Last edited by solars; 08-05-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Portrable 18650 charger - Nitecore LC10 or Folomov A1?

You can find USB-A to USB-C charge cables, and should be able to use any of these chargers. Either of them would still have to convert voltage. One thing to consider is how well they’ll pair up with your phone, if you can find an indication that they speak the fast charge protocol that your phone speaks, through specs or reviews. If you can’t get confirmation, I’d look at output amperage of the different ones.

If you’ll be charging as you go, it could be worth also looking into how each of these devices will behave for your use case. If I recall correctly, you could connect two batteries and an external USB device to the F2, and it’ll all be charged eventually.

I’d expect efficiency of all of them to be somewhat new similar, with the exception of any imcompatabiltiy with your phone, and also solar. For solar, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are significant differences, such a as if they’ll restart after a voltage dip.

Sorry if I just gave you more questions than answers.

No worries - I just learned that the powerbanks use the batteries in parallel mostly - so this means it doesn't convert down from 7.4 as I expected, but hast to boost up from 3.7 in any way.
    So I guess it doesn't matter which charger I use.

Quote Originally Posted by solars View Post
    No worries - I just learned that the powerbanks use the batteries in parallel mostly - so this means it doesn't convert down from 7.4 as I expected, but hast to boost up from 3.7 in any way.
    So I guess it doesn't matter which charger I use.
    There are some that use 2 batteries in series but they aren't cylindrical batteries. I have one power bank I got that supports fast charging from Anker that works well. In a pinch you could use it to charge other devices including powering an 18650 usb charger of your choice. For charging phones I recommend a 10,000mah or greater power bank due to the losses in conversion and fast charging boosting it would give you 1 possibly 2 complete charges before running out of power and some power banks (the Ankers I have) support fast charging them too.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I've got an Xtar PB2 which works well for me...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...amp-power-bank
    Except when the current demand from the PB drops too low and it cuts off before completely charging my Iphone. It's a good all round useful powerbank, though, for me.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Unenlightened

The Folomov "18650 powerbank" is compact but requires an accessory cable that negates any weight savings over the Folomov A1.
    The Folomov A1 has advantages in size, weight (20g), and flexibility to charge different size cells.
    The Nitecore F1 is heavier (30g) and 18650 only, but you can wrap it with the supplied rubber band and throw in your pocket or pack while using it, whereas putting a Folomov w/ battery in your pocket would instantly knock off the magnets.
    The new Folomov key charger is the heaviest at 68g. It advertises 2A but I'm dubious of its capability and/or reliability of a small enclosed device charging at 2A. It is limited to 18650/21700, although that would almost certainly be sufficient for most people. The form factor is novel, but I don't see any advantage for the UL hiker. (or many people tbh)