Maxtorch        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1?? Mcd Xenon Flashlight Project - BFF

Default Re: 1?? Mcd Xenon Flashlight Project - BFF

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    Thank for your detailed posts! To me this project is already unbelievably awesome! I love it. A custom, carbon fibre Xenon short-arc superthrower with modern tech all around!

Please keep at it! I want to know and see every little detail! There are very few projects theses days where I am this enthusiastic.
    That's great! And I do keep at it Although I had to backtrack a little today, by reconfigure the battery pack. More on that in the next update.
    I've got lux in different area codes.

So I reconfigured the battery pack into 8*2*2 format instead of the 8*4 I originally had. (the pack is still 8S4P) This had nothing to do with the issue I had during the test the other day.
    This was something I've had in mind for a while. When I tested the battery pack this summer with a heavy load, I noticed the pack became really hot after 15-20 minutes when the voltage dropped and current increased.
    While I was only pulling 5-7 A from each 30Q cell, the heat dissipation in a cube like that is really poor, especially with no battery spacers.
    The plan was to just test it like it was inside the tube. But since I already had cut open the heat shrink to access the data port the other day, I figured I could just as well try to improve it now.
    The big question is, will this actually make the pack run noticeably cooler? TBH, I have no idea! But It will presumably help a little bit. Worst case scenario I just have to limit the continuous runtime to for instance 20 minutes, then let it cool down for the remaining capacity or charge it. Normally, a 5P or 6P config would have been much better for a load like this, but that was definitely not an option here for obvious weight reasons. In retrospect, I would probably be better off by using VTC6 cells or similar, but at almost twice the cost, I'll try this out first.

Old config:

Pulling the old pack apart. Luckily the hotmelt glue I had used just popped off. I kept the paralell wiring on each row of four.

New config. I had to order in new heat shrink and a little more insulating paper, so it's uncovered for now. I will also make a hole for the dataport this time.

I have also made this little tool from a M6 threaded rod and a 3mm Allen wrench silver brazed in the end. In the other end is a piece of a PVC rod. It will use this to focus the lamp. Now I can access the adjustment screws without stuffing my hand inside the tube. I'm pretty sure it's not a good thing with all kind of uncovered electronics inside

At the moment I'm working on the touch screen and controller, and it's definitely not my favorite thing in the world.

So I quickly realized the Arduino coding was just too complicated for me, so I had to throw in the towel, admit defeat, and find someone who actually knew how to do it. I did, and got 3 full pages of code and wiring instructions sent over, and now the setup is working pretty much perfect, controlling 4 relays in special sequences, with post cooling, warning lights and more. Only need to calibrate the voltmeter, but I have to hardwire everything first. I did, however, do all the graphics on the screen myself, but that is more or less limited to find icons and fonts online, edit backgrounds and pictures and paste them in the screen editor, not really that complicated, but slightly time consuming. Still, have some fine tuning to do on the screen editor, but nothing major. Also need to adjust color and reduce the background lights on the screen a little bit, as this unit will mainly be used in the dark

Only the crazy ones dare to continue after this point. By the way, I also made a background that says "slide to unleash" but I figured it was a little bit over the top

Yes, this light will also have LED lights, now you know:

At this point we have lift off:

Meta?
    Last edited by PolarLi; 11-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Looking Real Good!! When do you anticipate completion and beam shots for all of us anxious followers?
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Thanks!
    Should be able to test it and focus the lamp pretty soon. The only thing that actually keep me from doing that, is the new shrink wrap for the battery. (free shipping from China )
    If I don't have it by friday next week, I will just tape it, and test it

You should probably insulate that rod with the allen wrench welded to the end. 2 layers of shrink tubing would work well to insulate it.

That is a life saving advice! and I have it covered, literally. I used one layer of very thick shrink tubing. It's just not very visible on the picture above.

So I have some good news and some bad news. I got the shrink wrap for the battery yesterday and installed that. Also mounted the yoke/tripod mounts on the tube, and put the back cover on. But when I had wired everything up for a test, the BMS shut off on ignition, and reported an IC error, plus the short circuit error again. Played with some settings and was able to get a couple of successful ignitions, so it's "almost" working. The good news is that all errors goes away by simply moving the pack outside the housing, and the light fire up just fine. I just had a 5 minute run without any problems and even did a hot restrike. So I have to assume it's no longer a inrush problem. But there must be some EMI issue from the ignition circuit. The reason it worked the last time was most likely because the backplate wasn't on, and now it is. Going to try and find a fix for this one way or another. One thing is certain, I'm not giving up now! Beamshots are hopefully coming up when the weather clears and I have ducktaped the battery to the housing
    Last edited by PolarLi; 11-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Flashaholic*

Try some copper window screening over the power supply to see if the EMI issue subsides.
    You’ll still get the air cooling with EMI/RF shielding.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Thanks for the tip! I don't have any copper mesh at the moment, but I think I have some perforated steel sheet, similar to the stuff that often covers PSU's. My initial thought was to just cover the battery pack in some metal and perhaps try out some snap on ferrites. On the other hand, it's better to shield the source of the EMI.

Edit:
    BTW, if anyone suspect what frequency this noise could be at, that would help alot.
    Last edited by PolarLi; 11-16-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Between 10 KHz to 20 KHz ignition circutry
    But the actual EMI comes from the arc so it should match the ripple noise.
    Something between 80 Hz to 200 Hz
    Last edited by A_L_R_O_M; 11-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks! Perhaps some capacitors could help filter it out. Still have a lot to learn about EMI, but luckily there is quite a bit of info on it online, so will continue to study.

If you have some ferrite rings may be you can wrap the wire around it and make inductor!
    I still think you can also make a EMI shield around your BMS IC's but it should be grounded or at least to be connected with a body. Attach some wire to the backplate and make connection to your body and let's see how it works )

I'll put that on the list!

For a light that doesn't work... It sure has one epic beam

Yes, I taped the battery on I'm also borrowing the tripod for the stockpot light, so I had to make a temporary spacer to fit it on the yoke.

I had about the same reaction when i fired it up, but I was begging it to not hand me another antic, and it didn't, so I let it run for 17 minutes

A great looking, tight beam with little to no flair visible in the 2nd half of it. Looking forward to the 1-2 mile shot when it done!
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Thanks, and yes, beam looked great, and I only spent a couple of minutes focusing it. With some more fine tuning it should be even better.

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PolarLi View Post
    I had about the same reaction when i fired it up, but I was begging it to not hand me another antic, and it didn't, so I let it run for 17 minutes
    17 glorious minutes!

When you are finished I would love some beamshots where the camera is much further away from the light, maybe hitting a cloud.

As usual, Im waiting on parts now it's the various EMI shielding stuff I will try out. But I will probably start putting the circuitboard with the electronic together any day now (that will also need some shielding) When I have everything up and running properly, there will be plenty of good beamshots and not just the phone pics

Super quality build! This thing is a MONSTER
    “What do you mean LEDs are more efficient then Incans?”, that’s just what they want you to think! It’s a Conspiracy, Man!

Thanks! I hope I don't break the scale.

This is great, lets see if the maxablaster will get dethroned
    I love the 12" carbon fibre tube, I considered using carbon fibre for my syniosbeam but aluminum was easier to machine and it would work for heat dissipation.

Cheers! The CF tube is neat, but as you say, it sucks for heat dissipation and that's one of the reasons I had to use two airducts inside it.

What is the length and weight of the light?
    Mine was already difficult to handle and it was only 4" long and 5kg :P

Step by step our psychology adapting xD
    I remember 10 years ago it was hard for me carrying 2D-6D MAglite.
    Right now i don't care, if i can handle it i will.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman View Post
    What is the length and weight of the light?
    Mine was already difficult to handle and it was only 4" long and 5kg :P
    It's 52 cm long or 20" and comes in at around 11 kg. Haven't put the light on the scale yet as i'm still adding small parts (and they all add up...) so the weight can change a little before I'm done. So yeah, there is a reason I have a padded shoulder strap for this In retrospect, with a few small design changes from the beginning, I could certainly have made it just below 10Kg. And with a very different battery design, I could have dropped it all the way down to around 7 kilo, with a much shorter tube, and even more runtime as a bonus. But as Alrom says, it doesn't really matter that much, it's all about the mindset. People carry luggage around much heavier than this. One could also argue that anything over 500 gram is too heavy for a flashlight. But then you have to put different lights in different category. This one has for instance one epic candela to weight ratio
    Last edited by PolarLi; 11-30-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast