New 4 D Cell Maglite ML 300

lwknight

Enlightened
I wonder if the maglites will perform on rechargeable batteries or if something will be lost from lower voltage. In the old days we put 3 cell bulbs in the 4D with nicads. I'm still a little put off at Mag for taking years yo decide to get on the wagon with the rest of the world. I still have my old 3D from the 80s with the first LED bulb. It will last probably forever but it is best used as a club rather than a light. I think 65,000 candela and 1000 lumens is no slouch so maybe there is hope after all.
I bet when my Fenix TK60 is no more the 1980s maglight will still be working.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Never had a 4D Mag. Light forever on eco mode. I think it's good for one's soul to handle/use a Maglite now and again. I have the current 2c model which I really like, and was using my Dad's old 2D incan while visiting my folks last month. Thanks for sharing this.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
up to 1002 lumens? Does it de-tune itself in thermal regulation?

Maglite® ML300L™ LED 4 D-CELL FLASHLIGHT
Whether you're a professional using a flashlight for work or security, an outdoor enthusiast, or an occasional user wanting it for emergencies at home or on the road; the New Maglite® ML300L™ LED D-Cell flashlight is the Light For All Your Needs.

Multi-mode electronic switch
Advanced focus system (adjusts from spot to flood with less than 1/4 turn of the head)
Up to 1002 Lumens
Up to 434 hrs on-time (Eco Mode / 4-Cell D)
4 Activity based function sets to choose from (see chart)
Available modes:

Momentary
Full Power (Maximum Lumens)
Low Power (up to 128 Lumens: 4-Cell)
Eco Mode (a super power saving mode that yields up to 18 Lumens with greatly extended run-time)
Strobe

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ Many lights, when they run for a few minutes drop the lumens.

e.g. a light that's advertised for 1000 lumens can become 800 lumen light. Case in point, Surefire Fury. It's a 1000 lumen light for about 3 minutes +/- and then it drops in output.

Maglite can ad this light as 1000 lumens as well but what does it actually output after 5 minutes when the internals direct it to lower the lumens to prevent overheating.

don't believe ads

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't believe ads

Always the contrarian......

Almost every manufacturer does this nowadays so I wouldn't be the least bit worried about it. I'd be interested in seeing the ramping time/output but Maglite has a pretty good reputation for honesty IMHO so I wouldn't be overly concerned. In fact, there are some advantages like increased run time. In actuality as long as the lumens don't drop way lower than advertised you probably won't even notice it because your eyes adjust to the dimmer light. In fact some folks, like myself, see this as an advantage to the light.

I'm so glad Maglite is finally getting with the times and offering an multi function LED! It's long over due. I probably won't be buying one but I imagine these will be pretty popular. The D cell still has many advantages for tradesman and other users especially where durability and availability are concerned. I know the guys I work with have lost and broken tons of little lights. Maglites seem to be one of the most durable and hardest to lose. Most of the folks I work with don't want to be bothered with LiIons and rechargeables as it's much easier to go into a convenience store and pick up a box of D cells, heck, my company will give them away for free. Coupled with the extremely long run time this is a no brainer for a lot of folks.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great! - I really wanted a 4D ML300. The boost in lumens is a plus as is the lower eco mode (like Mag uses for the ML50's). The 500M+ throw is pretty good too. If this light has a step down form high after 10 min or so, it is a plus for me as well because I would rather have extended run time over barely noticeable higher lumens if I am running the light for more than 10-15 min. The ML series Mags have excellent heat sinks (metal to metal contact from the disk that the LED is mounted on to the aluminum body of the flashlight) - no worries about overheating at all.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite has historically had zero heatsinking. Expect this to be a 500-700 lumen lights and be pleasantly surprised if it's anything more than that.

It throws well so their lights appear brighter than they actually are. Due to high lux.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good post sir. I wish you were my uncle. Reppans is the only other person I've ever said that to......or typed that to. QUOTE=LiftdT4R;5231468]Always the contrarian......

Almost every manufacturer does this nowadays so I wouldn't be the least bit worried about it. I'd be interested in seeing the ramping time/output but Maglite has a pretty good reputation for honesty IMHO so I wouldn't be overly concerned. In fact, there are some advantages like increased run time. In actuality as long as the lumens don't drop way lower than advertised you probably won't even notice it because your eyes adjust to the dimmer light. In fact some folks, like myself, see this as an advantage to the light.

I'm so glad Maglite is finally getting with the times and offering an multi function LED! It's long over due. I probably won't be buying one but I imagine these will be pretty popular. The D cell still has many advantages for tradesman and other users especially where durability and availability are concerned. I know the guys I work with have lost and broken tons of little lights. Maglites seem to be one of the most durable and hardest to lose. Most of the folks I work with don't want to be bothered with LiIons and rechargeables as it's much easier to go into a convenience store and pick up a box of D cells, heck, my company will give them away for free. Coupled with the extremely long run time this is a no brainer for a lot of folks.[/QUOTE]

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing wrong with a 750 lumen light. If you get 1000 lumens for 20 seconds, well just consider it a 750 lumen light and remember the year 2005 when it introduced the LED variant that generated, what 60, lumens? Or something in that vicinity.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]I have one of these 3 cell version.
http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashli...ite-3-cell-d-led-3rd-gen-flashlight-1374.html
Result of tail side current draw on high is:
800mA ~1000mA with 3 alkaline cells (no load total voltage of 4.29 volt)
1600mA ~1800mA with 4 alkaline cells (no load total voltage of 5.63 volt)
1600mA ~ 1800mA with single 26650 (no load voltage of 4.18 volt)
Won't work at all with 2 alkalines.
I am going to cut down and rethread for single 26650

Can anybody do similar test with 4 cell version please? (3, 4, 5 alkaline, 1, and 2 26650)[/size]

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SIZE=+1]I have one of these 3 cell version.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashli...ite-3-cell-d-led-3rd-gen-flashlight-1374.html
Result of tail side current draw on high is:
800mA ~1000mA with 3 alkaline cells (no load total voltage of 4.29 volt)
1600mA ~1800mA with 4 alkaline cells (no load total voltage of 5.63 volt)
1600mA ~ 1800mA with single 26650 (no load voltage of 4.18 volt)
Won't work at all with 2 alkalines.
I am going to cut down and rethread for single 26650

Can anybody do similar test with 4 cell version please? (3, 4, 5 alkaline, 1, and 2 26650)[/SIZE]

Weird that the current almost doubles with a 4th alkaline cell - shouldn't the current go down when the Voltage goes up?

I don't have a 4D ML300 (yet), but it would be interesting to see a tear down of the 4D along with a 6D; apparently Mag uses completely different drivers depending on the number of cells.

BTW Old Lumens did a video tear down of the 2 and 3 cell ML300's when they came out along with pics of the different driver boards:

99e9UR.jpg

IyLnD5.jpg

sabre7

Enlightened
Still leery of leaky D batteries after losing a Mag to them years ago.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
with high-powered lights, you can use 10,000 mAh D cells. of the NiMH chemistry. I've used them exclusively, they work nice.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run 8000mAh low discharge D cells in my 3 cell mag and it also works great.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
guilt-free lumens. I have some excellent NimH D cells

Tenrgy Centura NiMH D cells work real well in Mags, as do AA Eneloops in adapters. I use Energizer L91 lithium AA's in adapters in the 2nd Gen Mag LED I keep in a vehicle.

Lately I have been using 18650's in a ML300 and other 2 and 3 cell Mag LEDs in adapters that I 3D printed - no need to use alkalines if you don't want to!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess folks forgot that Mag LED lights have traditionaly stepped down to 75% from max for several models.

Yeah, they have, I remember it being over a long time period thought which might not bother me all that much. For the price of the old ights ~$30 and the crazy high run time they had it never scared me any. I'd be curious to see how these new lights are. One would hope Maglite is making some good R&D progress. The cost is much higher on this new 4D so I'd say they need to.

with high-powered lights, you can use 10,000 mAh D cells. of the NiMH chemistry. I've used them exclusively, they work nice.

Maybe.

NiMH cells carry a max of 1.2 volts while alkaline have 1.5. No big deal or a 2D light, you're only talking .6 volts. Go up to a 4D and you're talking 1.2v. This may or may not be outside the range of the driver on the light.

Still leery of leaky D batteries after losing a Mag to them years ago.

The trick with alkalines is only put in matched brand new decent cells. NEVER mix and match used ones or different brands because even a little voltage difference eats them alive. Always change them if they've been in the light for 10+ years. I've never had an issue when following this rule. My mom however will throw in 4 mixed up crap D cells some past their expiration and they'll vomit in the light a month later.

Last edited: