Looking for advice!!

elalto46

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

This is my first post, I have been lurking and reading many, many posts for a while now and am now ready to jump into some modding. I am not new to electronics or soldering, however, I am real new to messing with LED flashlights. I have some questions now and I know that I will have many more questions as I go along, please be gentle with me.

I have a Convoy C8 and would like to know what I might gain by de-doming the LED (XM-L2) and by-passing the springs on my unit? Is it worth the effort? Also, what is the easiest way to DD the LED. Are there any other mods that would increase the throw on my Convoy?

Thank you all in advance for your anticipated help.

Marcos (elalto46)

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
I have a Convoy C8 and would like to know what I might gain by de-doming the LED (XM-L2)

You'll have a tighter beam, ~45% more throw, and a warmer tint. What tint do you have now?

and by-passing the springs on my unit? Is it worth the effort?

Maybe a slight unnoticeable bump in output. Might not be worth it (for the bypass).

Also, what is the easiest way to DD the LED.

I use gasoline. 24ish hours soak IIRC but it's been a couple years since I've done one.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
May want to just swap the xml2 out for an xpl hi.
Use caution when dedoming, not all the silicone will always fall off, espc near the bond wires. Fully rinse with alcohol and then dry fully, watch out for any specks on the phosphor for they will burn at high power.

elalto46

Newly Enlightened
Thanks mcfarlie6996,

"You'll have a tighter beam, ~45% more throw, and a warmer tint. What tint do you have now?"

Wow! that is exactly what I am after, I don't know the tint but it is pretty white (cool), a little warmer will be OK. So I take it that the gasoline will dissolve the Silicone off of the die?

Thanks FRITZHID,

What do I gain by going to the xpl hi? Can I get it mounted on a decent PCB that will fit my Convoy? and will I have to DE-Dome it as well?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Marcos (elalto46)

elalto46

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all!!!

I have just ordered a mounted XP-L HI and will be installing into my C8 as soon as it arrives.

Is there anything I should look out for? seems that I will not even have to remove the driver for this? I should be able to remove the original MCPCB and replace it with the new one, right?

Thanks again,
Marcos (elalto46)

elalto46

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Well I received my XP-L and replaced the XML2 in my Convoy C8, much better, tighter beam and some increase in the throw. Very happy with the results.

Question: I noticed that the driver in my Convoy has the 7135? chips (3) and wondered if I would gain anything by adding some 7135s to the driver. Will the XP-L HI be OK with the added amperage? Please let me know before I make a mistake.

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto46)

Latest posts