Typical ways lights get lost

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will just share the typical ways I've lost things over the years. Initially I was posting a reply to the previous thread about accepting a loss but realized this has potential as an independent thread and no longer really fits there.

My favorite ways to lose a light:

#1: In the car. Put a light on the passenger's seat. That is fine until you make a sharp turn and the light rolls over and falls in between the pass. seat and the pass. side door, on the floor. You hear that and make a mental note to retrieve it when you get to the destination.
When you do get there, of course you forgot about it.
It rides around for a few days or hours.
If it's not your primary EDC, you don't notice it gone.
Then when the pass. door is opened, it either falls on the asphalt unnoticed, or with a bang, denting something. Either way is not good. I suppose dents are better than total loss or a gift to strangers.

#2 In the car. From my left-hand side pocket it falls onto the same space but on the driver's side. Between the driver's side door and the driver's seat, on the floor. Again, you may not notice when you open the door and it falls onto the pavement. If the light is not metal e.g. nitrolon and there is no pavement, for example grass, you may not hear it at all, or if your radio is turned on, or passengers talking or some other distraction. Even metal lights don't really make all that much noise and the sound of the bang against the pavement can be missed under many circumstances, like when you are late and distracted.

#3 here is my other favorite: Go somewhere and temporarily set it down. Like go to a garage and set it on a shelf to grab something, then space out. There is always a convenient shelf somewhere in the closet, the bathroom, the garage, etc. Usually it gets found 3 days later when you retrace your steps. Again, this is more likely with a light that's not EDC. i.e. you have your EDC in your usual EDC place but decide to grab an alternative device which doesn't get placed in the usual EDC pocket / pouch/whatever. So by the time you miss it, you have forgotten where you set it.

I've never lost anything in the wilderness, the woods, a park, a snow bank, lake, a river, or anything like that.

Once I left a G2x Pro on a train station bench. I don't even know why I had it out and why I set it down. The taxi rolled in, I waved him, got my things in a hurry and left it on the bench. Never done that before or since, while the car thing is my fav thing -- I put the lights where the radio area is now, in the little bin, although it can roll around there too.