streamlight twintask 3AA Help

RR5

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my twintask 3 LED / xenon 3AA light. First thing I did was slap the batteries in it and fired it right into my eyes. Ow! I was hard of vision for about 5 to 7 minutes. I'd really hate to get blasted by this after my eyes were adjusted for darkness. Also the 3 LED mode is also pretty eye blinding as well, and a runtime of 80 hours? Amazing.

Now my cry for help. That push button switch is annoying. I'd much rather be able to choose which mode I want, either LED or xenon. Problem is, only the end cap and lens assembly are able to be removed.
light.jpg

That is what the bulb assembly looks like, and I am stuck on how to get underneath it. Seems like there is epoxy making a seal and I do not really want to cut into that.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a mod that forum member McGizmo did to a Xenergy. As the Xenergy and the Streamlight Twin-Task lights are made by the same manufacture, this should help. Link

Dan

P.S. You'll need a 5/8-28 tap for this mod and they can be bought here . Enter "5/8-28" in the product search box.

RR5

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a great thing to do to the twintask, as the reflector has 6 LED holes, but on the 3 AA model, only three are being used.

But he didnt go into detail on how he got the bulb assembly out. Do you just push from the tail and pop the head out like that? Or push down on the bulb assembly and the head pops down out the tail?

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
RR5,

First off, where are my manners? Welcome to CPF!! Secondly, how do I nonchalantly wipe the egg off of my face? I completely zoned out that it was a 3AA and I'm afraid I'm not going to be much of a help to you as I've yet to buy a Twin-Task (but I've been meaning too) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Third and just as important, don't buy that tap , as the mod I posted applies to CR123 lights! Perhaps if we keep bumping this thread up, some forum member with more specific knowledge could help. My bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dan

RR5

Newly Enlightened
Not to worry PercaDan. I got my twintask from action-lights.com Shipped to CA from inside CA $33.05

Its a awesome light. Someone just needs to rig it with two switches for both modes. I'm waiting for my second light to get to me, as someone bought the first one right out of my hands.

All someone has to do is find out a way to get underneath the lamp head and modify the switch.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
A Kroll switch screws right into my Streamlight 3AA Tasklight (which is similar to but not actually a "Twin Task") and on my former Xenergy which had like three modes, touching the DMM leads to back of the battery tube with cap removed would turn it on and off at whatever mode it was last left on.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I haven't messed any further with my TT3AA since buying two different RAM switches at Frys (both were junk).

They do screw into the body though. The big problem is there isn't room for the spring to compress enough on a RAM.

>>>runs to get the light and a Kroll - Works as if it were made to go there!<<<

Kroll allows it to be in one or the other mode when activated. My TT1L and 2L are equipped like that. I now carry the 2L as primary EDC.

RR5

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
A Kroll switch screws right into my Streamlight 3AA Tasklight (which is similar to but not actually a "Twin Task") and on my former Xenergy which had like three modes, touching the DMM leads to back of the battery tube with cap removed would turn it on and off at whatever mode it was last left on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you post up a link of where I could buy one of these? How would that be used in a defensive situation where you really need the 46 lumens of pure xenon power to blind someone who is out to put a hurting on you?

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was wondering if the Kroll switch would fit in that body (almost took a Kroll over to the local cop shop on Saturday to check it out, but it didn't happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). Anyway, Kroll switches can be purchased at The Sandwich Shoppe . As far as blinding someone with this light, I wouldn't recommend it. You would have to be toe to toe with the perp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Dan

RR5

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PercaDan said:
Well, I was wondering if the Kroll switch would fit in that body (almost took a Kroll over to the local cop shop on Saturday to check it out, but it didn't happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). Anyway, Kroll switches can be purchased at The Sandwich Shoppe . As far as blinding someone with this light, I wouldn't recommend it. You would have to be toe to toe with the perp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]
Arrr the site said it was bright enough to blind someone whose eyes were adjusted for night vision.

You should totally buy this light. http://www.action-lights.com/product_detail-4520.asp?bhcp=1

RR5

Newly Enlightened
argh I recieved my twintask yesterday, blinded myself for a little while, and promptly broke the head.

This second one was a little different from the first. It has a inner ring that you can unscrew and I pried the head up with a flatblade screwdriver. That was a mistake. I broke a printed circuit board and cant solder it together.

Its in the shape of a T there is a trace around the circular head and those got broken when I wiggled it up.