All brass E

night.hoodie

Enlightened
For some time, since falling hard for E Series, and discovering Spark Illuminations UBHII is still available, and available in brass, I have desired an all brass E. No personal practical reasons, this would be a trophy, though it occurs to me such a light might be desired for environments where sparks are banned for safety reasons or corrosive salt water/ brackish environments, such as at sea or for a marina.

I had noted in the past, or I think I remember seeing, there were once available attractive brass tailstanding tailcaps from TorchLAB (but maybe they were just in Cu or Ti, unsure). I do not like as much, from personal taste and my strong opinion that no one ever uses (or it is so rare overall result is the same) flashlights like a defensive knife or a mace (but perhaps far more often as a club), but the brass RPM tailcaps for E available in Custom & Modified will satisfy my interest almost as well. They'll do, while their availability lasts, I'm almost sure of it.

But I am unaware of, have never seen before, any E series thread compatible solid brass heads, neither any brass incan head/reflectors, nor dropin modular, nor fixed with LED single, triple, whatever, in brass.

Did torchLAB or fivemega ever offer a solid brass E series thread-compatible head/reflector, in any configuration? Did any designer ever have a solid brass E head, that may exist in small quatities in collections or whereever?

Looking for a brass E Series thread-compatible head/reflector, preferably for incan application, but not necessarily not for LED application (why not have both). Does it exist? Thanks.

Edit: I am already aware there are replacement brass bezel rings, which will have to satisfy unless an all brass head can be revealed, or anyone voluteers the name of a skilled maker that can create a one-off Elite head duplication in brass, or design something as attractive to me.

========>
prelim interest list for a new run of Spark Illuminations UBHII
- please state your interest and preference (list may move to dedicated newer UBHII interest thread possibly posted by CPF member Crazyeddiethefirst)

• night.hoodie 2xHA & 1xBRASS
  • id30209 1xBRASS

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened

yup. I want scout24's Tranquility Base brass head. I doubt I could afford it even if he wanted to sell it to me, nor would I feel right about splitting up the head from that work of art. But I don't think a more attractive head could be designed, unless it was exactly the same but incan, or also incan. Also want that tail, but I am ambivalent about the battery tube.

Let'see what were talking about...

IMG_0150-1.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

:drool:

Granted, I doubt the pieces will all match in alloy, shade or patina, but I would not mind that so long as everything was technically brass.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night.hoodie,
Tonight I purchased a brass UBH System from Spark Illuminations and it turns out it was the very last one in stock. He has a few HA ones left but that is it for his current stock. If enough people are interested, he might be willing to do an additional run(I asked him a lot of questions and may start a new thread to see if we can generate enough interest to make it worth his time). Thanks so much for sharing his info-he says he has not been on CPF in years. I too am looking for other components and will report back what I learn. I too fell hard for the Executive Elite Series and have a few gunmetal, black and HA lights. I also have E series LEDs by Steven Ku, Tana and Lumens Factory. Have you tried the TMac Customs brass adapter for the incandescent bulbs he sells? The are affordable and much easier to obtain compared to the Sure MN01,2 & 3. I have a Four Sevens Maelstrom in Brass that I love, but it is closer to the 6P than the E2e in size. I also have the Brass Quark made by Four Sevens in conjunction with Best Company. It too is bigger than an E1e but proves that Brass is still a very workable material for for the Executive Elite series...

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night.hoodie,
Tonight I purchased a brass UBH System from Spark Illuminations and it turns out it was the very last one in stock. He has a few HA ones left but that is it for his current stock. If enough people are interested, he might be willing to do an additional run(I asked him a lot of questions and may start a new thread to see if we can generate enough interest to make it worth his time). Thanks so much for sharing his info-he says he has not been on CPF in years. I too am looking for other components and will report back what I learn. I too fell hard for the Executive Elite Series and have a few gunmetal, black and HA lights. I also have E series LEDs by Steven Ku, Tana and Lumens Factory. Have you tried the TMac Customs brass adapter for the incandescent bulbs he sells? The are affordable and much easier to obtain compared to the Sure MN01,2 & 3. I have a Four Sevens Maelstrom in Brass that I love, but it is closer to the 6P than the E2e in size. I also have the Brass Quark made by Four Sevens in conjunction with Best Company. It too is bigger than an E1e but proves that Brass is still a very workable material for for the Executive Elite series...

I'm interested for UBH brass. After reading first post i couldn't resist.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Night.hoodie,
Tonight I purchased a brass UBH System from Spark Illuminations and it turns out it was the very last one in stock.

You killed Kenny! You bast-... just kidding. I knew there was that risk, but my prospective purchase was still a couple months away. Hope you can put it to good use and enjoy it while you can, before I can pry it from your cold, dead flashlight collection... again, I am kidding.

He has a few HA ones left but that is it for his current stock.

Well, the dream was delightful while it lasted. Thanks for the update.

If enough people are interested, he might be willing to do an additional run(I asked him a lot of questions and may start a new thread to see if we can generate enough interest to make it worth his time).

If you don't, I'll start a UBHII want-list in my OP. I'll do that, and if you start a thread, copy the names off the list I start, then I'll delete my list.

I do not understand business, but seems like running out of stock is not good for business, nor is running out of stock some indicator no one is interested in the product. But if DSpeck has a list, then he has a pretty good idea of how many to provide, but I could not guess what a minimum run would be to be worth his time. His provision of spacers is crazy-generous. I know I would eventually like to have 2 in HA and 1 in brass. But this is half-a-year's worth of want. It is an amazing design, such a good idea.

Have you tried the TMac Customs brass adapter for the incandescent bulbs he sells? The are affordable and much easier to obtain compared to the Sure MN01,2 & 3.

You'll have to link to it, my google searches came up zilch. Is it a socket? Or an adapter to somehow make LED heads into incan heads (like something I would want for McGizmo's Haiku, adapter threaded in the head to allow it to accept and focus properly for the reflector MN-series lamps or E sockets)?

I own and use daily and nightly a few brass Tad Customs E sockets for Tad Customs bipin xenon lamps, and have gifted a few. Fine for me, may not be as sturdy as Lumens Factory lamps or stock Surefire MN-series lamps for weapon recoil.

The white plastic housed Surefire MN03 is still readily available, easily enough, seems to be what sellers stick in their E1e's when they resell (3V still fires the SF 6V lamps, lifetime increases, but color temperature suffers to the yellow). But black plastic housed MN01 and blue plastic housed MN02 have disappeared afaict... can't find any, and I gifted the ones I did have (now wishing I had kept the MN01s I let go of).

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey night.hoodie, I just got out of the hospital for the 6th time in 4 months after being told there was less than a 50% chance I would be alive in 1 year due to a nasty MRSA infection in my spine(I wish I was kidding)-Don't Feel Bad, I am not telling you this to make you feel bad(I love humor, and because of my love of guns the "cold dead fingers" gets a lot of use. I tell you all this because since I have a collection of over 400 Flashlights, I have left my son a very detailed list of instructions on what to sell should I depart early(as of this point in time I am once again proving Medical predictions of my demise are so far 100% wrong). On my list (as of tonight) is a note to contact you first and offer the Brass body at my cost to you first. Regarding running out of stock-when I emailed back & forth with Doug, he said he only gets 1 or two inquiries per year about the body and even less regarding the brass. I suspect this is because no one knew they were available-he said he has not been on CPF in years. The good news is he has his own lathes and access to even bigger ones and could easily make a new batch of the interest is there. I have asked for his permission to contact a couple other manufacturer/proprietors to see if there is enough interest to put together an entire package. In the next few days I will pm you so perhaps we can work together to make this happen. I completely misspoke when I wrote TMac, I meant Tad Customs-I find his prices much more palatable than MN's at $15/pop. I'll be in touch soon-I truly believe there are many others who would light up at the chance for a brass E light, and perhaps Doug would be amenable to Copper or other metals as well if the interest is there...

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crazyeddiethefirst,
My thoughts and hopes are still with you. Kudos to you for your consideration towards night.hoodie, and kudos to you for having the foresight to draw up detailed instructions for your desired disposition of your lights. Even though my "collection" doesn't compare to yours, several years ago, when I realized that if I passed before my two sisters, they would have no idea of the correct use of Li-ion cells, or voltage guidelines, or have even a ballpark figure of what anything I had was worth, or where to try to sell it, to get those ballpark figures. I started writing up some homespun "technical bulletins", amounting to about 70 pages now, more or less, to make things a little bit more understandable to a non-initiate reading them.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcbrat are these available?

Hey night.hoodie, I just got out of the hospital for the 6th time in 4 months after being told there was less than a 50% chance I would be alive in 1 year due to a nasty MRSA infection in my spine(I wish I was kidding)-Don't Feel Bad, I am not telling you this to make you feel bad(I love humor, and because of my love of guns the "cold dead fingers" gets a lot of use. I tell you all this because since I have a collection of over 400 Flashlights, I have left my son a very detailed list of instructions on what to sell should I depart early(as of this point in time I am once again proving Medical predictions of my demise are so far 100% wrong). On my list (as of tonight) is a note to contact you first and offer the Brass body at my cost to you first. Regarding running out of stock-when I emailed back & forth with Doug, he said he only gets 1 or two inquiries per year about the body and even less regarding the brass. I suspect this is because no one knew they were available-he said he has not been on CPF in years. The good news is he has his own lathes and access to even bigger ones and could easily make a new batch of the interest is there. I have asked for his permission to contact a couple other manufacturer/proprietors to see if there is enough interest to put together an entire package. In the next few days I will pm you so perhaps we can work together to make this happen. I completely misspoke when I wrote TMac, I meant Tad Customs-I find his prices much more palatable than MN's at $15/pop. I'll be in touch soon-I truly believe there are many others who would light up at the chance for a brass E light, and perhaps Doug would be amenable to Copper or other metals as well if the interest is there...

Hang on, as novice said are thoughts are with ya.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcbrat are these available?

well, I plan on starting to do some E series stuff after my current batch of 9 lights are completed, but it's anyone's guess when that will be. just got too much other stuff going on right now....
The grip design on that Brass body is what I have been using on my 18350 lights, but I probably would change it up for the e series stuff...

maybe something like this

http://www.indysworld.com/flashlights/bge-3-1.jpg

that was a solid nickel cr2 body with damascus head. e series compatible.

unfortunately, none of mine are exactly the same, since I'm working on a manual lathe, and don't measure any of the outside design stuff :)

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I plan on starting to do some E series stuff after my current batch of 9 lights are completed, but it's anyone's guess when that will be. just got too much other stuff going on right now....
The grip design on that Brass body is what I have been using on my 18350 lights, but I probably would change it up for the e series stuff...

maybe something like this

http://www.indysworld.com/flashlights/bge-3-1.jpg

that was a solid nickel cr2 body with damascus head. e series compatible.

unfortunately, none of mine are exactly the same, since I'm working on a manual lathe, and don't measure any of the outside design stuff :)

IMO that brass grip i like more but at the end i believe it will be desired anyhow. I'll take one :)
I'm not much familiar with your lights so i gotta ask, are heads are also available or just bodies?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO that brass grip i like more but at the end i believe it will be desired anyhow. I'll take one :)
I'm not much familiar with your lights so i gotta ask, are heads are also available or just bodies?

I can do components or full lights. I don't have anything available at the moment and no sign up lists since I can't predict my availability. :) it could be christmas before my current set is done.....

When I decided I was going to take this seriously
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?440270-Upgrade-has-arrived

My current WIP threads (very slow progress)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?448136-Starting-up-another-batch-of-lights
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?449310-New-Metal-to-try

And the Running sales post for anything I sell that makes it to CPF.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?444945-FS-Brat-Guy-(McBrat)-Lights

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can do components or full lights. I don't have anything available at the moment and no sign up lists since I can't predict my availability. :) it could be christmas before my current set is done.....

When I decided I was going to take this seriously
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?440270-Upgrade-has-arrived

My current WIP threads (very slow progress)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?448136-Starting-up-another-batch-of-lights
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?449310-New-Metal-to-try

And the Running sales post for anything I sell that makes it to CPF.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?444945-FS-Brat-Guy-(McBrat)-Lights

Subscribed for updates on E series.
But not to interfere with OP to much, keep us informed on your E project.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
...I love humor,

Good. Because after what you wrote, I'm going to have to ask for your soul, too... brighter than any flashlight.

exceptional work... hope you don't mind picture theft...
beayiLR.jpg

Z0RKsXb.jpg

Subscribed for updates on E series.
But not to interfere with OP to much, keep us informed on your E project.

It is a free forum. Please do, mcbrat

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Mick, Awesome work! I owe my love of Brass and Copper in a large part to lights I have purchased or traded with you over the years. Not to mention at least half of my satin grey E2E's....