letter home 3-3-2004 from Iraq

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,

Today I go to write another letter, and the network that handles our non secret and secret communications takes a dump, hard. So you won't see this until the 'Nipper Net' (that's what it's called I can't make this stuff up!) comes back on line.

You're getting this note while I'm in a state of funk. On the outside it's my usual glum work a day attitude. On the inside is a deep aching void. Sunday was the anniversary of when Joanne and I were married. Some of you know the story. We eloped on Leap Day 1996, and then forgot to tell anybody. If you're interested we have some photos and clippings from then. Our pet Nipper was the 'dog of honor'. The wedding ended with "You may kiss the bride and greet your dog". So I gave Joanne a peck and then gave Nipper the word to jump in our arms. It was a cute moment. As explained you get a lot of time to think in this place. To be alone with your memories.

New Topic……

I don't know how many of you can detach and watch human interaction, or more accurately the lack of it.

You also find out that human stupidity tends to happen in waves. Here it's about every 5 weeks it seems. We are cresting again. Stupidity has peaked. Another way of saying something is "If an activity is fine on Tuesday, why isn't it just as fine on Thursday?"

Stupid cycle number one.

The interface between the company and the Army is an LT who is not used to dealing with the real world. He gives orders to privates just fine, but has no clue on how to deal with civilian contractors who have more years of work experience than he has at being alive. He may be a signals officer but that won't make him an expert at these gizmos.

As it turns out the network outage was due to getting a bad crypto key from, guess whose people. LT Know Nothing and his partner Sgt Unwilling to Think. When that happens we have to hop through hoops to figure out which side has the failure. Mind you my Satcom unit was working just fine, so I'm on phone duty and helping out where I can. Cleaned up some cables, and made some improvised scope probes. I'm on the side observing all of this. Front row seats for the circus.

Lots of back and forth, tests, loop backs, all kinds of stuff. When the proper keys are loaded, what a difference a bit makes. Things come back to life.

Anyhow this LT is due here today to 'discuss' the network outages. I suspect he is in for a rude awakening. How do you tell someone they are a 'dolt' politely? We have had this problem before and this LT nearly was sacked for it then. Today I expect to learn about Army and company politics. Today should be an interesting day.

Stupid Cycle Number Two

This one is truly distasteful. Army life ain't easy for us 'F.A. Civilians". In my tent we have a total of 5 company dudes and two PX guys.

Let me tell you about the working conditions of our PX. It's made out of a tractor trailer truck. The gate opens in the back for the entrance and a side door let's troopers out again. It's a big metal box in the sun. It has lights and refrigeration units inside. Usually about 10 customers as well. A metal box in sunlight is a great way to build up heat. Noon time temps for the last three days have been in the 90's. Not dank like Virginia, but nice dry heat. Iraqi heat is the kind of heat that won't leave you feeling sticky.

The "stock rooms" for the PX are a series of conex containers, also in the sun. You get the idea; this guy earns his pay the hard way. Physical labor, dealing with armed troopers, the works. Seems when the Marines cycle through the base they clean out his store. More work. You are getting the picture here. Hard work and a history of poor hygiene.

The problem is his feet. Ripe ain't the word. They would repel a Fresh Kills landfill seagull.

This guy has been 'talked to privately' within the tent community. I've talked to him about my own foot issues and what medications I was given to cure it. It didn't get much better, and with the advent heat season, the situation has taken a turn for the worse.
Nothing we have said has improved to any degree (pun intended) this guys feet.

It's now gone to the camp Command Sergeant Major. (I gather this is the top of the food chain for enlisted dudes). Hopefully the CSM will be able to convince this guy to shower once in a while and get his feet treated.

The situation as of last night.

Anyhow he came back to the tent after lights out last night. Apparently someone got to him and convinced him to take a shower. Every little bit helps. I didn't gag in my rack. My bunk is right next to his and I get a potent dose. Inverse square law kill. Wasn't too bad last night, but as the study of humans go, time will tell.

The bear of the deal is with his boots on; he is basically a nice guy, and a good one to know.

You want some irony here. He has been talking about going back to his life in Germany, as a tattoo artist.

Stupid Cycle number three

As you may have heard on CNN, KBR (Kellogg Root and Brown, part of Halliburton) handles almost all the heavy work of the base. They fix the toilet trailers, keep the septic system running, give us water, wire up the generators, and build the wood products.

What they do they do very well.

The deal works like this. We send to the base Mayor's office a request for work. The Mayor decides what we need and signs off on the request. The request goes to KBR for building.

Because of the number of phone and data runs, it was decided to plant PVC plastic pipe under ground and pull our wires across the compound via the pipes. KBR did this for us.

Then a bozo from a departing maintenance company picks just the right spot to park his five ton truck over our pipe. Crushing it and filling it with ground water. Guess what, the path to the Mayor's office is now compromised.

We get the maintenance bozo to move his truck, now KBR says it had no business running the pipe to begin with and won't replace it. About five weeks ago we had a similar standoff over another issue. KBR's contract is with the Army not ITT. Now we have to go through hoops to beat people so the Mayor can have her phone and data drops back. Why can't people make up their mind and keep it there.

In other news……….
There was a rumor that bad guys were going to visit here in the next few days. It was accurate. Seems I slept through the entire thing. The over night guy said he heard shots and bangs. Perhaps I could sleep through a war and miss it. Anyhow, he was ordered to get his Kevlar on.

On the PX line you meet some fun troopers. About mid point one asks if they take a debit card. When this trooper finds out that the answer is no, a panic set's in. When this happened I was standing in the middle of a bunch of guys with a large red (1) on their shoulders. What could I do, I gave the guy a twenty and told him to get what he needed. I got back change. I've learned what the little things in life become to a man in the field. Hopefully this little bit of kindness will make the rounds.

With Joanne's and my anniversary looming I ordered via a web based service for a large lumpy thing to be delivered to her office. Sent her some kind of well stocked food basket. The kind with deluxe apples and oranges. Some gourmet cheese items. Also put some smart remarks on the card. Something about prison life. We will see if anybody get's bent about it. If you don't make jokes about the situation here, it's real easy to get depressed.

Out here you find 'close to the heart' moments in music. Songs that deal with separation bring a strong emotion that can only be quashed with the greatest of effort. Any of you ever heard a science based country song? This one is about star travel at sub light speed. It also fits the mood rather well. Living here is like being on a slow boat or like time spent on Coney Island, it's not subtracted from your life's ledger.

Bet you don't remember (except for Jason W.) where this one (Benson Arizona by Bill Tailor) came from……….

Rays of sun shine down
But I see only one
When I think I'm over you
I find I've just begun
The years move faster than the days
There no warmth in the light
How I miss those desert skies
Your cool touch in the night

Benson Arizona, blew warm wind through your hair
My body fly's the galaxy
My heart longs to be there
Benson Arizona the same stars in the sky
The days seemed so much kinder when we watched them you and I

Now the years pull us apart
I'm young and now you're old
But you're still in my heart
And the memory won't go cold
I dream of times and spaces I left far behind
Where we spent our last few days
Benson's on my mind

Benson Arizona, blew warm wind through your hair
My body fly's the galaxy
My heart longs to be there
Benson Arizona the same stars in the sky
The days seemed so much kinder when we watched them you and I

On the same line of thinking, remember the Queen Song called "The year of '39". Badly paraphrased here.

Don't you hear my call?
Though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you?
Write you letters in the sand
For the day ill take your hand
In the land that our grand children knew

In the year of 39 came a shift in from the blue
The volunteers came home that day
Though they bring good news of a world so newly born
Their hearts so heavily weigh

For the earth is old and gray
Little darling went away

Though so many years have gone
I'm no older but a year
From your eyes, your mothers eyes, cry to me

It's a song about space travel, the long slow kind of space travel. Where a ship winds it self up near the speed of light and the passengers aging process slows down. I found this song that covers the same subject. The first one comes from the movie Dark Star. Rent it or buy it. It think it's worth the money. The second one from Queen's "Night at the Opera" album, another classic.

This would make a heck of a trivia question for Jeopardy!

Me "Strange Songs about Space Travel for 400 Alex"
Alex "Name two songs that deal with relativistic space Travel"
Me "Benson Arizona by Bill Taylor and "Year of 39" by Queen
Alex "That is correct"
Me "Bible Trivia for 600"
Alex "What are the first names of Mary and Joseph's in-laws"
Me "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….

This job is a form of space travel. (Remind me to crank up the oxygen level.)

The long slow kind. Where calendars are more important than clocks. The clocks tell of time, the calendars speak of position.

Number of days employed by ITT 86 (four more and I get to be a full employee)

This many days till going home 279

Time till Joanne's and my vacation in Europe. Roughly 100 days more. I feel every second.

Hope all is well.
Keep it warm, you know I will.
Mike in Iraq

I dream of times and spaces I left far behind
Where we spent our last few days
Reston's on my mind

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jack,

Sorry to hear you missed your anniversary. I travel a lot and have missed my share of important dates. It does leave you a bit down.

Somehow it doesn't seem right. You are over there having all the fun and I am stuck here testing flashlights and batteries...

My only thought on the smelly feet is that there is a salt crystal that is sold as a natural deodorant. You should get one of those and grind it up to a power and sprinkle a little in his boots. It will react with his hot sweaty feet the next day and my help a little.

Another thought is a personal ozone generator. Maybe you could write to the Sharper Image and they would send you one to evaluate.

Tom

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI Jack

In the 22 years I have been married, I have only been home for 5 aniv, but it is not quite the same as you have.

Aquariums use activated charcoal to absorb odors and smells, maybe that would work.

Perhaps if you can get the pipe fixed, try using something a little tougher - like schedule 40 steel pipe.

I am sure water is not that easy to get, but when I was a kid, I rigged up some sprinkler hose on the roof of my dad's store. It used to take 2 large AC units to keep it cool, with the sprinkler s going, it only took one. This works well even in humid Ohio, it will work even better in a dessert, assuming you have ready access to that much water.

Good luck - HarryN

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack,
I sort of understand your cranial cramping with the Army way of doing things. Last spring, my Air Force medical butt went to Iraq and we noted something very strange when we landed in Camp Loki...it was all Army and our medical unit did not fit in.
Although we had the highest ranking person on the camp, that sort of rank thing does not matter if you are not an Army regular. We were basically told that we were not wanted there, we were a burden and we should take our medical butts home. The spinal menigitis case, shot up Kurdish children and adults and other proceedures changed their minds a little.
My gig is taking care of the medical equipment, normally the other AF guys take care of power generators, AC units, tentage construction, fabrication, vehicle maintenance etc. My new job was to maintain, wire, build, construct and fabricate everything. Once the power generators were wired, flushed, repaired and running (along with A/C, tent frame problems, digital radiology imaging etc) the Army guys were amazed that a "L.A." AF guy (L stands for Lazy) could get things to work.
I realized to get anything done, I needed to evaluate the abilities of others. Nice way of saying figuring out who is competent or will try to help in all the weirdness that was going on. This involved visiting the Army guys that were actually doing something. I got involved with the power guys and earned a little respect when they saw a person with so much rank could actually go out in the sun and make it work.
I discovered the underground way things worked. Never go to the official place to request things and get shot down...go directly to the people that get things done. The guys were shocked that I spoke to them as peers and just wanted to get things to run. I would take care of it but needed things like battery acid, 12 gauge wire, 400MCM cable etc.
The days passed as I figured out how to get things going and the Army guys liked my attitude and help with their problems. Skills, tools and supplies passed back and forth and I quit visiting the official tent.
Luckily, I had a hospital commander that realized what I was doing and stalled the "LT Know Nothings" Once the concept of Army VS Air Force evaporated, we both gained from our arrangements. It was not all my doing, one of my buddies is a rather hot looking female type that would talk to the guys to help them with their problems. She was very cool and understand that most guys just want to get a female perspective. Things improved.

How do you call your LT an incompetent idiot without getting in trouble? This one is easy! Just say this phrase when he asks for something stupid "With respect for your RANK, I will take care of it" You basically said you have no respect for him as a person...very harsh saying but it fits in the military lingo.
The military tends not to really enjoy dealing with someone outside their expertise. Sooooo, they take a green, butter bar (LT) and tell him to take care of it. An example of this is your LT. The really clueless ones have not figured out that they are at the bottom of the food chain yet. Generally, they rely on their rank and try to push it.
Trust me, the rest of the folks know the quality of this person, so don't worry too much about him. See if there is anyone else you can talk to in his chain of command. When it gets down to the brass tacks, it is not who you are but what you can do.

The best way to get through it is to keep a good sense of humor. A person that can make things happen and make you laugh is worth their weight in gold. Thank you for your hard work and things generally work themselves out in the end.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
One of the BIG things for smelly feet? Change your footware - don't ware the same pair every day

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys,
Ive made a 'cut and paste' copy of your notes and will answer them directly.

Give me a little bit. Once in a while I actually have some work to do.

Time cards are very important here. We all like to get paid.
If my satcom unit takes a dump I will most likely be off the air for three days. What I have found is the less software in a unit, the better it works. Mr. Gates take the hint!

Jack Crow.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
Since each of you took the time to send me extensive notes, I've cut and pasted your text into the word processor and will answer them on a thought by thought process. Also this method cuts down on dumb things that happen with the net connection here. I would hate to be typing and find out a link in the electronic chain had rusted out. Never trust anything with more than 30 transistors in it.

Silverfox
Hello Jack,

Sorry to hear you missed your anniversary. I travel a lot and have missed my share of important dates. It does leave you a bit down.

*Yeah it's a bummer. Miss the dogs, wife, and the comforts of life back home.

Somehow it doesn't seem right. You are over there having all the fun and I am stuck here testing flashlights and batteries...

*Is that what you do professionally? I used to do environmental testing for a large defense contractor back in New York. Heat, Cold, Humidity, and Vibration. When we were not doing the testing, we were fixing the testing tools. High power amplifiers and cascade refrigeration. Mechanical vibration tables and process controllers. Damm little I have not had my fingers in. Can I send you a resume to laugh at?

My only thought on the smelly feet is that there is a salt crystal that is sold as a natural deodorant. You should get one of those and grind it up to a power and sprinkle a little in his boots. It will react with his hot sweaty feet the next day and my help a little.

*I have to assume that any real cure will require the willing assistance of the skunk. Last couple of nights he has not been the happy camper. Embarrassment and ego damage make a lumpy mix. The team in the tent has been thinking of things like chain saws and rail road wheels. Drastic but effective.

Another thought is a personal ozone generator. Maybe you could write to the Sharper Image and they would send you one to evaluate.

*Now that's a thought I had not had. I will look into that. Even better if it's a combination unit. Ozone generator and bug zapper. Can't even find an old oil burner xfmr and some microwave oven diodes. Might find a Neon Sign xfmr. Depends on luck and how well I can make my self understood at the Hajji mart. Could 'hire' a translator as a freelance assignment. Still would have the trouble locating diodes. Got to think on this one. 10 or 20kv in the tent ain't exactly safe, because as we all know when something looks interesting some bozo will have to touch it.

Thanks for your note and ideas.

Tom

Keep it warm
Jack in Iraq

Harry N
HI Jack

In the 22 years I have been married, I have only been home for 5 aniv, but it is not quite the same as you have.

Aquariums use activated charcoal to absorb odors and smells, maybe that would work.

*Got to remember foot odor is a prompt problem. Getting a supply of charcoal and figuring out some way to force air through it won't be easy here. Good point though, the Army did issue us gas masks. As far as I know the nearest fish dealer might be in Kuwait. I don't know what Islam's attitude toward tropical fish is. (dirty, clean?) Will ask around. Let me think on it for a while. Tom had the idea of electronic air freshening, perhaps there should be a chemical component.

Perhaps if you can get the pipe fixed, try using something a little tougher - like schedule 40 steel pipe.

*The pipe is for cables. It's about a 5 inch orange plastic PVC pipe. The Army way was to stretch cables across the ground and replace them when trucks break them. All over this base are old telephone and data runs. Every day we were fixing wire breaks.

John our 'wire dog' wanted them underground and for the most part this was working until the truck got parked on our PVC pipe.

What's happening is people are being dufusses. The pipe will be fixed; the ninny sergeant that parked the truck on it is going home after 14 months here. KBR will have to justify its existence and a job like replacing the pipe will suddenly fit in the mission statement of the contract. Nonsense peaks like a wave. This is the crest.

I am sure water is not that easy to get, but when I was a kid, I rigged up some sprinkler hose on the roof of my dad's store. It used to take 2 large AC units to keep it cool, with the sprinkler s going, it only took one. This works well even in humid Ohio, it will work even better in a dessert, assuming you have ready access to that much water.

*I know our shower and toilet water comes from a pond a few miles away. KBR treats it and for the moment it's good. Temps here have been between 90 and 100 F the last few days. The Army keeps us in drinking water. Had some good stuff from Kuwait and this one is from the UAE. Bottle water is real popular here. Very good and it's free for the taking. When I get back to the world I fear being busted for shoplifting.

Good luck – HarryN

Thanks for the letter and keep it warm
Jack Crow

Benthead

Jack,
I sort of understand your cranial cramping with the Army way of doing things. Last spring, my Air Force medical butt went to Iraq and we noted something very strange when we landed in Camp Loki...it was all

*Just so you know, I'm a contractor, and as a civilian I can carp about the weak thinking when I see it. For the most part the Army is fairly sharp. This one LT is the dim bulb. What's the worst he can do, have me fired and send me home? Who is that going to intimidate?

Army and our medical unit did not fit in.
although we had the highest ranking person on the camp, that sort of rank thing does not matter if you are not an Army regular. We were basically told that we were not wanted there, we were a burden and we should take our medical butts home.

*Even I know enough not to be rude to medical dudes. You never know when you're going to need a favor or treatment.

The spinal menigitis case, shot up Kurdish children and adults and other procedures changed their minds a little.

*Nothing scares people worse than a virus that's a ***** to treat.

My gig is taking care of the medical equipment, normally the other AF guys take care of power generators, AC units, tentage construction, fabrication, vehicle maintenance etc. My new job was to maintain, wire, build, construct and fabricate everything.

*Know the feeling. Have a huge base of industry experience. Mostly in high power analog electronics with some interesting side lines. Dam little I can't fix given time and parts.

Once the power generators were wired, flushed, repaired and running (along with A/C, tent frame problems, digital radiology imaging etc) the Army guys were amazed that a "L.A." AF guy (L stands for Lazy) could get things to work.

*Even in the Army, results count. I look a little doofie, but produce results.

I realized to get anything done, I needed to evaluate the abilities of others. Nice way of saying figuring out who is competent or will try to help in all the weirdness that was going on.

*Yeah, some knew their stuff, and most knew where the reset switch is when the red light came on.

This involved visiting the Army guys that were actually doing something. I got involved with the power guys and earned a little respect when they saw a person with so much rank could actually go out in the sun and make it work.

*Nothing earns respect like actually doing something, no matter what's on your collar.

I discovered the underground way things worked. Never go to the official place to request things and get shot down...go directly to the people that get things done. The guys were shocked that I spoke to them as peers and just wanted to get things to run. I would take care of it but needed things like battery acid, 12 gauge wire, 400MCM cable etc.

*One of the ways I have found to make life a little better here is to buy the guys guarding the Hajji mart a soda. Give out a packet of hot sauce. Passed out some hard candies at the laundry. A little kindness goes a long way here.

The days passed as I figured out how to get things going and the Army guys liked my attitude and help with their problems. Skills, tools and supplies passed back and forth and I quit visiting the official tent.

*I help from time to time with a sergeant whose job is to keep the radios running. I teach him some things and show some tricks. Works out well. Was able to score some 123 cells that way.

Luckily, I had a hospital commander that realized what I was doing and stalled the "LT Know Nothings" Once the concept of Army VS Air Force evaporated, we both gained from our arrangements. It was not all my doing; one of my buddies is a rather hot looking female type that would talk to the guys to help them with their problems. She was very cool and understand that most guys just want to get a female perspective. Things improved.

*ITT has no female contractors on this post. There are fairly few women who are willing and able to do this kind of work and life. The Army women are cool. Something sexy about a 22 year old with an M16. But I'm married and have to behave.

How do you call your LT an incompetent idiot without getting in trouble? This one is easy! Just say this phrase when he asks for something stupid "With respect for your RANK, I will take care of it"

*That's the rub; he is supposed to help us. This one is our interface between the company and the Army. It's a new and unusual relationship. It would work better if our LT knew his buns from a hole in the ground.

You basically said you have no respect for him as a person...very harsh saying but it fits in the military lingo.
The military tends not to really enjoy dealing with someone outside their expertise. Sooooo, they take a green, butter bar (LT) and tell him to take care of it. An example of this is your LT. The really clueless ones have not figured out that they are at the bottom of the food chain yet. Generally, they rely on their rank and try to push it.

*Not a problem. He can yell and bluster, but the worst he can do is have us fired. The thing is this team is experience rich and we know more than he ever will. With a minimum of effort we can make him look like a ninny to his bosses. The facts help too.

Trust me, the rest of the folks know the quality of this person, so don't worry too much about him. See if there is anyone else you can talk to in his chain of command. When it gets down to the brass tacks, it is not who you are but what you can do.

*His bosses know it too. I suspect that's how he drew this assignment. Peter principal in action.

The best way to get through it is to keep a good sense of humor. A person that can make things happen and make you laugh is worth their weight in gold. Thank you for your hard work and things generally work themselves out in the end.

*Humor here tends to be rough but spot on nasty.

Thanks for your note
Jack Crow in Iraq

The latest news as of this afternoon. Great minds and deformed noses think alike.
Seems the people of the PX have noticed our tent mate had an issue as well. Remember they work next to this dude all day. They talked to him as well. When that didn't work they went to his bosses. The PX boss types a talk with him too, and inspected his living area. I haven't gone on to beef about his 'area' but let's say it's true to form. The skunk hasn't talked to the tent mates much lately, wonder why.

As for LT Know nothing and his Sgt the shift is spooky. On the phone they are killers, in person almost reasonable. It's a major effort to work with someone like that.

Good news…….
Did get a bone tossed my way. I have a window to put up a small broadcast station here to cover the base. I figure about 400 bucks to buy a transmitter, filter power amplifier, and an antenna. Because of the tool limits here this has to be as "turn key" as possible. I'm going to get my radio clubs in Virginia and New York to send me some other items. Like a power supply, brackets, hardware, cable, connectors, wattmeter, and related items.

This should be fun.
Will go up to the proposed transmitter site on Friday morning with the camera, take some photos and let you know the details.

That's the news of the moment.
Keep it warm
BTW today's temp cracked 100 degrees F in the shade.

Jack Crow in Iraq

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Hey Jack,
You were a shake and bake guy? I was in the IES on Long Island too! Ran the lab for a small defense contractor, and did a lot of out of house stuff at American Environments, some at Dayton etc

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jack

The idea of the activated charcoal is to put it in his boots, socks, or directly on his feet. My guess is that he has a fungus infection ( I am not a physician or medically trained, but have seen this) in addition to the general hygene problem.

Bug zappers could make you very popular there. My sister and her husband (and their neighbors) put a bunch of them up, about 1 each per 1/4 acre, and they dropped the bug population big time. Each one generated a 10 - 20 gallons of bug remains per week.

I have also seen some that run on LP gas. The LP makes heat + CO2, and they add a chemical attractant to make them industrial duty. - around $ 400 in catalogs.

I have no idea how large your camp is, but I can tell you that a good zapper density will do amazing things.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good use for your UV flashlight... As I remember, if it is a fungus--it will slightly fluoresce (if you want to look very closely at his feet). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

-Bill

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
BB,
There is no nice way to say this.

I only want to see his feet again in a hermatically sealed glass jar behind 10 layers of stench resistant glass, by remote viewing.

Another way of puting the issue, I would live longer down wind of a New Jersey Refinery.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
H,
The dining hall has bug zappers, the rest of us have fly paper.

The zappers are right next to the entrance and exit doors. So it's totally un appatizing to hear "BZZZZZZZZZZit" while waiting for your food.

Diden't get the chance to do any web research yesterday. The system had another outage, not us but the other end.

As for the foot odor problem, seems the guy has been 'leaned on' by the Army's command sargent major and by his own managment. Last couple of nights haven't been bad.

I even talked to him and installed one of the 'sandwhich' units for his mini mag light. That's five now in service here and more troopers are hearing and seeing them around. The guys at Lambda have my next order for 6. This could be a fun side line.

Got to remember out here we don't have much in the way of nice things. Iraq has never heard of a 'lawn and garden' center. For the moment propane is out. It most likely a rules violation in the tent. No flames, no insense but we ignor that. At least smoking is done outside the tents.

as for carting away gallons of fried bug, im all in favor of that.

What I will do is talk to the KBR rep about your idea. Depending on budgets and health risk something may happen.

Later dude and thanks for the pointers
Jack Crow in Iraq

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
C,
Hazeltine had a huge inhouse environmental department.
I used to fix the stuff. Leanred cascade refirgeraton from an old pro now SK.

Used to repair solid state and vacume tube amps. Did major shaker repairs as well.

More than once had to fix the salt fog chamber. That always stank like a marsh.

We had an old Tenney Temp Altitude, and humidity chamber that was fitted with a huge vaccuem pump. it would simulate a rocket launch for the first 100k feet. For a fighter plane IFF project we had to convert that to automatic control. A 1959 unit fully updated with modern process controls. Extra heaters and LN2 injecton.

This also had two external'air handelers' that delivered controled airflow and temps at different times.
It was a major event, then geting three controlers to run different progrmas with the same time elements.

Seven years of strange wacky things.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Jack,
Where you at Hazeltine before or after they put in the Limoline units? Gad that stuff stinks - visted that shop more than once

Our shop was MUCH smaller - one Ling d390 shaker/amp with a Genrad control system. Thermotron 48 Temp/humidity chamber with the high flow fans, LN2 injection, and extra heat (plus the test fixtures had heat/ln2 injection right in the fixtures), a small Tenny that was a total retrofit (30 deg C/ Minute in either direction), and 2 (slapping head - can't remember the name - also a Mi Company) chambers that had NO mechanical cooling - LN2 ONLY. Those 2 boxes were "interesting" as the controllers had 2 channels - one for "air" and one for the item under test, and you could control the rate of change based on the item under test, with a min/max on the air. Again, LN2/Calrod heat right on the fixtures - Navy wanted us to move the INTERNAL electronics of the Units under test (stress testing) at 7 deg C/Minute

I started as an electronics tech, and because I had 2 jobs make it through an outside lab, when they needed an inside lab built, I was the ONLY guy who understood the specs. I got to design, build, write the software for and eventually manage the lab. It was a good gig until electronics on Long Island went bust in the late 80s/early 90s - in 92 I got out, and started programming full time - heck, I had been spending most of my time programming anyway to automate the lab. Ended up going to an insurance company, and have gone through consulting, banking, consulting, etc before I've settled for the last 6 years writing software for a televison network