The latest-greatest Malkoff M61 is 425 lumens and 600+ lumens on two Li-Ions

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starting a new thread to gain more visibility, I think it's highly noteworthy and did not want it to get lost in the "Junkie" pile.

I haven't used the M61 series in the last several years because I got hooked on MD-series including Hound Dogs and especially 18650 Hound Dog, which is the apex of the 1x18650 lights. M61T/HOT/ and M91T are all equally brilliant and useful. M61 seemed like a relic from 2010. In all of its configurations.

And it has been forever since M61 series has been introduced. We've had that module for 8 years. Here is an initial thread, well one of them.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?261283-The-Malkoff-M61!

A blast from the past.

Anyway, shifting gears to today. I've always felt -- perhaps contrary to public opinion, that M61 was lacking outdoors. That is solely IMO and IME. That its max *effective* range, despite what's stated, was 25 meters. Even that, I thought, was a stretch. It's a bit on the floody side beyond about 10-15 meters. Within 10 meters, it does great. Outside, it diminishes and does so quickly. I am sorry but it's useless at 50, let alone 100m.

Compare the old M61 at 25 meters with the Hound Dog.. with M61T, or M91T, or the wildcat.. or anything of that sort. It's sad. M91T is the light to have at 50 meters. It has such a perfect hotspot that's hot and at the same time turns huge at these distances. Not sure how to describe, but it's perfection along with the Hound Dog. So is M61HOT and M61T is almost the same thing but obviously weaker.

Well, this now have been re-mediated, as the M61 module gained an additional 100 lumens to the total of 425 instead of 325. Better still, on dual cells, 2x18650 configuration, it shoots into the 600 lumen range. Which is great and you get the best of both words: A light with a great balance of throw/flood and significant lumens. So this is definitely the light / module to get now and a worthy upgrade.
I know, I know, the lumens output is logarithmic and you cannot see an increase of 33% or 100 lumens -- well, I can. I definitely can. It is not that the older M61 was lacking significantly, it was lacking somewhat, a bit you might say and this 100-200 lumen (in the 2x18650 config) increase is right on the money.

I will write a review when it arrives, post some beamshots.

I chose cool white for max lumens as the tint is not everything.

etc my friend, Gene should promote you to marketing manager. lol
You are good with words and can convince potential buyers. :)

in fact this new m61 is very interesting and has a promising future in the Hall of Malkoff products fame.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am happy to hear of this update; I haven't pulled up any background on the new version, but is there a visible change to its exterior ?
Engraving ID would be optimum IMO, as there has always been a robust commerce w/ the used Malkoff dropins & it would be nice to see the distinguishing feature(s) at a glance.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, like SureFire, Malkoff has typically done continuous improvements and upgrades without clear labelling.

I understand the reasoning behind this decision, but it is challenging for enthusiasts to keep track of these changes :sigh:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to be tough for selling used dropins. I do not know which version this drop in is. I know the model number and tint...

I am happy to hear of this update; I haven't pulled up any background on the new version, but is there a visible change to its exterior ?
Engraving ID would be optimum IMO, as there has always been a robust commerce w/ the used Malkoff dropins & it would be nice to see the distinguishing feature(s) at a glance.

my new model m61 dropin came with the plastic box with the writing "m6" instead of "m61"

the friends who also got the dropin can tell if theirs came too.

so I realized, the dropin is exactly like the old one, only more powerful
I did not notice any difference in construction.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has it been confirmed with Malkoff that it indeed puts out 600 with two LiIons? Is that by design? M61 have always been a little brighter on 2xLiIon, but 200 lumens is a big bump.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a few brand new old stock 6P off of ebay some weeks back and didn't even know what I was going to put in them. Now I know what one of them is gonna get. :D

That is a wonderful marriage.

You can of course use the single Li-ion cell for slightly lower lumens, I got a bunch of 17670 off the same place for $1 each -- new. It was in bulk, about 20. While the capacity is 1800 mAh and the runtime should be 1/2 of the latest-greatest 18650, is still a great deal. I think they should fit in the 6P - the last time I checked, they did in mine (before I sold it).

Anyway, 17670 and an unbored 6P is a great commitment, of course you can always jump to primaries.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has it been confirmed with Malkoff that it indeed puts out 600 with two LiIons? Is that by design? M61 have always been a little brighter on 2xLiIon, but 200 lumens is a big bump.

I too would like a confirmation but even if it hits 500 lumens on dual cells, I am supremely happy.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you .... So, same emitter then ?

I believe so, there was a little talk about it in the main Malkoff thread and someone mentioned that there have been small increases in lumens due to improvements with the leds used in the past bunch of years but this jump was enough for Gene to mention. Also this is 800ma @6v vs the 650@ 6v.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would like a confirmation but even if it hits 500 lumens on dual cells, I am supremely happy.

Without measuring the output, how do we really know? It makes sense that the output would increase slightly with the voltage, but I'd be very slow to make specific claims without the data.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did the 600 lumen number come from? I only see 425 listed on the website. Am I missing something?

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Using INFRNL's data;

The M61T is rated at "350+" lumens by Malkoff, measured at around 375 lumens on a single cell and 450 on two cells. I can see the slight bump in output on two cells.

The M61N is rated at 300 but measures around 340 on a single cell and around 400 on two (about a 25% increase over its rating). Again, I can detect this slight increase.

Based on this (and until it's actually measured), a 25% increase on two Li-ion cells over its rating seems likely, placing output in the low-to-mid 500 range.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting

So this has some validity then. We won't know until it's definitively tested. I can live with 500+ lumens. In fact, it's just about perfect combination of lumens/runtime.

I have not decided what host I will put it in. 6P, 9P or 12P. All 3 seem viable. I also have several MD bodies that are contenders.

Now it's a bit on the thirsty side consuming 0.8 Amps in 6P config... higher than even M61T, and presumably less in 12P config. I like the extended runtime and lumens of 12P. FiveMega 9P body is another strong candidate.

I will try it in both 6P and 12P configs and decide then.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can resolve the difference down to 40 lumens and I can estimate the lumens by looking at it next to a comparable light that's either higher or lower in lumens. 100 lumen difference you can very easily see. And 200 lumen difference, which is the difference between older M61 on 1 cell and newer M61 on 2 cells.