NI-AL-Bronze and 464 Naval Brass HDS going on sale...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Friday September 7, 2018 at noon Tucson time...

Like the Cabbage Patch kids of Christmas past, let the pushing and fighting begin.

The NI-AL-Bronze light will go on sale. Only 20 will be available. Base price is $590. Rotary and Tactical only. They will ship just after the Titanium lights ship.

Standard emitters will be available of course, along with the current limited emitters as well as:

Nichia 219b 9080 4500k No, you won't be able to get a standard aluminum light with this emitter at this time.
Nichia 219b 9080 4000k (first time offered) No, you won't be able to get a standard aluminum light with this emitter at this time.

I expect these will be sold out in the first 2 minutes once it goes live if the titanium run is any indication.

Friday September 14, 2018 at noon Tucson time...

42 Naval Brass lights will go on sale. This is 464 Naval Brass. Base price is $550. Emitter choice will be updated after the Bronze run. Most likely, the same emitter choices on the Bronze run will also be available for this run, but will have to see at the end of the first 2 minutes of the bronze run.

Just playing with colors on the computer...
img-0164-2047.jpg

Last edited:

moltenmag

Enlightened
These are going to go so quick lol... I'm waiting for the Nat HAIII run. Good luck everyone!! May the odds be ever in your favor...

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can one check out so fast. I like to review my selections before I check out. Otherwise, I have to select anything and request changes after...

tyu

Newly Enlightened
How can one check out so fast. I like to review my selections before I check out. Otherwise, I have to select anything and request changes after...

For Titanium, I practiced going down the page methodically clicking every option (even if it was defaulted, because defaults can change). On the day of, I made sure I was already logged into PayPal so that would be fast, and then practiced going through checking out a few times.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting serious. Training for checking out @ HDS.

Any prediction picture of how the bronze aluminum will look?

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea on what the difference in carry weight will be between the Aluminum, Bronze, and Brass?

tyu

Newly Enlightened

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea on what the difference in carry weight will be between the Aluminum, Bronze, and Brass?

Aluminum 100 grams
Bronze, Alum. 286 grams
Brass 320
 grams

1 Bronze HDS will weigh 1/2 oz less than 3 aluminum HDS
1 Brass HDS will weigh 3/4 oz more than 3 aluminum HDS

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
My best guess is... heavier.

I can be more specific. Maybe the weight difference can be roughly calculated. When building the lights do you know what the potted light engine weighs?

The reason I ask is that the weight difference between Aluminum and Brass and Bronze bodies may be insignificant as a percentage of the total weight of the light that includes the battery and light engine.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the weight difference between Aluminum and Brass and Bronze bodies may be insignificant as a percentage of the total weight of the light that includes the battery and light engine.

youre right!
I just weighed an aluminum and copper version of the same light, and even though copper weighs 3.3 to 1 over aluminum, the copper light only weighs 84% more than the aluminum one. Both lights include the same 16340 batteries.

So if I had to guess the weight of an HDS in Brass, compared to aluminum, I would say it will weigh only 81% more,
and the bronze would weigh only 72% more than aluminum.

iow a Brass HDS will weigh about 19% less than 2 aluminum HDS
and a Bronze HDS will weigh about 28% less than 2 aluminum HDS

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminum 100 grams
Bronze, Alum. 286 grams
Brass 320
 grams

1 Bronze HDS will weigh 1/2 oz less than 3 aluminum HDS
1 Brass HDS will weigh 3/4 oz more than 3 aluminum HDS
I don't think these numbers are accurate. Sure brass is 3.1 times as heavy as aluminum, but it looks like you're assuming all 100g of an HDS is aluminum. But the bezel, reflector, light engine, battery, and switch will not change weight. Without knowing the volume of or mass of just aluminum we can't make a meaningful estimate.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys and gals, I've spied an opportunity to do some math.

First up, some data:

6061 Al density - 2.7g/cc - http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=ma6061t6
6Al-4V Ti density - 4.43g/cc - http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=mtp641

Al HDS clicky - 102g - https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/EDC-E1S-250/
Ti HDS clicky - 122g - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?437443-SOLD-Ti-Ra-Clicky-10087

Let V be the volume of host material in cc. Then we know

4.43 * V = 2.7 * V + (122 - 102)

(4.43 - 2.7) * V = 20

1.73 * V = 20

V = 11.56

So an HDS has approximately 11.56cc of host metal.

EDIT: Continued

Naval Brass density - 8.41g/cc - https://elginfasteners.com/resources/materials/material-specifications/naval-brass-464/
Al Nickel Bronze - 7.58g/cc - https://elginfasteners.com/resources/materials/material-specifications/aluminum-nickel-bronze/

Weight increase for brass:
(8.41g/cc * 11.56cc) - (2.7g/cc * 11.56cc) = 66.0g
A 66g increase vs Al puts us at 168g total

Weight increase for Al bronze:
(7.58g/cc * 11.56cc) - (2.7g/cc * 11.56cc) = 56.4g
158.4g total

Feel free to double check my work, which is only an approximation and also uses clicky not rotary.

Last edited: