Is a 3D M.L. threatening

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Do you think that the average person on the street feels threatened by a flashlight the size of a 3D Maglite?

A story may illustrate this better. A couple of years ago I was in a movie theater. About 15 minutes after I left I discovered that my wallet was missing. I hurried back to the theater and explained my story to the ticket-taker. She let me in and I went to where I had been sitting. I used my mini-mag and found my wallet. (a huge relieve…it had just fallen out) I had considered taking my 3D mag that was in my truck for more power especially since my eyes would be adjusted to the bright daylight from outside. I decided against it since someone might feel threatened by my having a large metal light that has the reputation as being an impromptu weapon. (This incident has inspired me to upgrade to a more powerful pocket sized light. I would have never found my wallet without a light). I would not have felt awkward about it if it had been nighttime, but considering it was daytime, I might have received "extra" notice.

Second story… I had just gotten something from my truck. As I was approaching the building I was stopped by a security guard (I can't say where) because I had a 3D in my back pocket. He had to call into his supervisor to get a ruling as to whether or not I was in violation of some kind of weapon policy. I don't belive that I looked threatening in any other way. BTW, he let me in, my ML was ok.

When the average person sees another with a 3D Mag, does he/she see a just a flashlight or a possiable weapon. Would you feel comfortable (from a social/legal point of view) carrying one downtown or at the mall (putting physical comfort aside)?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Far from being an average person myself, I would see someone with a 3D MagLight as someone who in all likelihood hasn't got a Carley lamp from Walt, is using half-dead batteries, and could do far better with another 3D brand.

I would assume having a 3D ML would only be a problem to other people if the person with it looked out of place.

I would see it as showing a reason for carrying it or such tool gives people a reassurance that it's going to be used only for it's designed purpose.

If you are a builder or plumber etc, you could carry large tools such as hammers or flashlights etc on your toolbelt.

If it's night/or anyone who works in an badly lit environment such as an electrican etc is justified in carrying a Maglight of such size.

In my view, if you can justify a need for a tool or light, then you have a reason other then it can be used as a weapon for carrying it.

In the same way you'd be better off keeping a ball and glove with your baseball bat.

In the UK atleast, I get the impression Police would rather you carried a multitool or SAK rather then a knife.

This is a Flashlight Forum, so getting back to Flashlights...

I don't have this worry because I carry a 2 cell SureFire. Now walking around during the day with the M3T or M6 is a different matter. I don't feel as comfortable with a larger SureFire during the day because I can not often justify having it on my person rather then in my rucksac.

Al

sflate

Enlightened
Funny but true story...

Years ago I was working with my dad (electrical contractor) and he had a mag-lite in his hand, noticed a friend of his from school he hadn't seen in years, and was putting the lite back onto his tool belt holster. It just so happens that his friend was now on the the opposite side of the law and had a bodyguard with him. The bodyguard saw the flashlight and reached for his 'piece'. The friend quickly recognized my dad and reached over to his bodyguard to stand-down. It's amazing how some view a mag-lite.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
In the UK atleast, I get the impression Police would rather you carried a multitool or SAK rather then a knife.
Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't carrying a knife illegal in the UK? I remember seeing signs in the busses and/or subway in England basically saying the knives were prohibited.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kb0rrg:
Do you think that the average person on the street feels threatened by a flashlight the size of a 3D Maglite?
When the average person sees another with a 3D Mag, does he/she see a just a flashlight or a possiable weapon. Would you feel comfortable (from a social/legal point of view) carrying one downtown or at the mall (putting physical comfort aside)?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe whether or not a person feels threatened has a lot to do with several things. Is the person you're worried about threatening carrying a weapon? Are you carrying the maglite in a threatening manner?

FWIW, in Texas it's legal to walk around downtown with a rifle over your shoulder as long as you're not walking around pointing it at people. Now, the police will hassel you and give you a hard time (and probably lie and tell you it's illegal...I looked it up in the P.C. and it's a-ok...) but it's ok to do that...

I used to be a security officer (non-commissioned) and later, a commissioned security officer (certified to carry both a handgun and PPCT weapon)...I'm not sure if you know this but many times, non-commissioned security officers carry around large maglites (anywhere from 3D to 5D cell) because they do not have a commission. They are there so they can use them as a baton, if necessary, and if taken into court after beating the life out of someone, he can just say, "Look...I just had only this maglite to defend myself...it's just a flashlight..the same you buy in Wal-Mart for your home!" And it looks better than if he'd beat the guy senseless with an ASP...

Good luck...I think in most normal circumstances people wouldn't be threatened by a 3D maglite...as long as you aren't irate and waving it about in a dramatic manner...then they may feel threatened...
smile.gif
(And I'm not a lawyer, etc, etc...yadda yadda...)

JM-99

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
........ I would see someone with a 3D MagLight as someone who ............ could do far better with another 3D brand.
Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh Yeah ?
Like which ?

(Mag)Lite-Lover
mad.gif
blush.gif
shocked.gif
frown.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Oh maybe they don't all do 3D cell versions, but from my persective, it you're gonna carry a C/D-cell flashlight, what's a fourth battery gonna matter?

Underwater Kinetics make great flashlights such as the SL4/SL6 or UK300.
So does;
Pelican Super SabreLite 3C
Lectro Science K-2224 or K-1493 3C
StreamLight 3C

Lots of people seem to love the 3D cell MagLight. Personnally, without a Carley bulb from Walt, I'd go for a brand I can use underwater or atleast one that doesn't fog up, I can use in a gas-leak (it happens), I can drop, and knock about etc. My experience with MagLights has ruined them for me.

Back on topic, surely a non-metal, non-club-like flashlight is far less threatening because in the dark, it is far easier to tell what it is. Don't you think?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the LAPD told me they considered the branch of a tree in my car, (otherwise known as a 'stick' ) - as a weapon - even if it was on the way into the fireplace - a six D Maglite though, they consider only a flashlight - so I carry a 6-C (swings faster) Mag in the car...sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, I guess...
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't carrying a knife illegal in the UK?

I sure hope not. I carry a Gerber Multi-Lock tool with me at all times, and noone`s said anything so far. I think I heard that knives over 3 inches long were illegal to carry on the street, but the blade in the Gerber is about 2 ins so if that is true, I should be OK.

As for a 3-D-cell Maglite? Well I used to have a 4-D-cell and carried it to and from Uni on dark winter nights- I live just 20 minutes walk away (and don`t drive) and noone said anything. "It`s just a big torch, that`s all".
Of course now since learning of SureFires (and other similar small powerful lights), my days of carrying a 4-D Mag are over- that and the fact that the old 4D got bored of life and jumped out of a 2nd floor window...ouch! Much less conspicuous and way brighter, just a shame the burn time isn`t quite as long. Maybe when/if the much anticipated low output long runtime lamp for the e2 comes out, it will be an improvement?

grin.gif
shocked.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, when I was 21, the Mag-Lite didn't even exist ! (Not till 1979, and about 1981 in the UK)

I was interested in torches, but can't ever remember seeing a torch that had such style, until I saw one on display, wanted it, and bought it as soon as I could.

So there is a special place in my heart for the design, esp the 3D.
I really do consider it a work of art, even though the beam quality isn't breathtaking.

And it is the largest handtorch I would like to use.

(The Mag-Charger has an intrinsic safety rating, btw)

Back on topic, I think the 3D is acceptable, but I agree that it's on the limits - a 2D looks much more polite ......

Jahn
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I would see. My views may offend you but I would not consider a Maglight without a Carley bulb.

You can use any cheap batteries in you 12PM, but I would not consider using anything less then Duracell Ultras.

I suppose I like to get the most out of my tools. I'm the sort of person who puts his loudspeakers on spikes to improve the sound (to my ears atleast)

I would not consider a 3D M.L. threatening because I would be too concerned with wondering what batteries, bulb and reasons for choice of colour, make and model etc.

I respect that other people have different views etc, but don't pretend to understand them all!

To me, a MagLight is not threatening unless it is being used in a threatening way. I understand how you can handle a MagLite such as the 3D in a threatening way, but how can you carry a MagLight in such a way as to be threatening?!

Al

Velcro

Enlightened
Far from being an average person myself, I would see someone with a 3D MagLight as someone who in all likelihood hasn't got a Carley lamp from Walt, is using half-dead batteries, and could do far better with another 3D brand.Al<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! I have a 3D Mag, I do not have a Carley lamp, my batteries are near-fresh and I do not think I could do far better with a different 3D flashlight. Should I feel offended now?
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro (who loves his Mag-Lite)