What's up with Luxeon Star?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

What\'s up with Luxeon Star?

AFAIK the Luxeon Star family of LEDs is commercially available (for distributors).

Why is nobody selling them piece-wise yet?

How long did it take for the Nichia LEDs to become available for the end-users?

Mr. Gransee, if you are reading this, could you distribute the LS units?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s up with Luxeon Star?

Future Electronics sells them in panels of 16. I think Lumileds puts certain restrictions on who can sell them. I will ask around the next time I call.

Peter Gransee

Marked

Enlightened

I tryed to order me a couple and there was problem with my order and time it got straiten they said there was none left. And they said "To place a backorder
there is a min buy of 50 pieces at 9.00 each. The lead time is 7-8 weeks.
" That was for the white connector type.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Gransee!

Can you perhaps tell me the email address or the website of future electronics?

I am VERY interested in these LEDs.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Bye!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks!

Can you tell me where on this website I can find the LEDs?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah- I clicked on every link I could see on the site and couldn't find any LEDS at all.

Maybe you gotta email them and ask??

Perhaps this is something else we all ought to get together on for a group buy? $450.00 (50 at nine dollars each) is a bit steep for me to start out with!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'll buy 2 if anyone can figure out how to order them.

Only 48 more to go ...

Do I remember correctly that the Luxeon Star requires 1 amp?

If so, Linear 1308b circuit from "Voltage Regulators" thread might handle this in a SMD package, although I think it'll require C or D cells for much longevity.

Am I overly optimistic, or would this combination not make for an excellent caving headlamp?.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

1 amp will fry the LS in no time.

white LS draws
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>180 mA @ 3.0 V
<LI>350 mA @ 3.42 V (18 lm)
<LI>500 mA @ 3.6 V
[/list]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Mad Scientist, I appreciate the numbers ... indeed, 1 amp would mean crispy critters.

Mark

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There are two items. What are they?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you go to the home page and type in LXHL you will get a wider range...the white one with lens is LXHL-NW98...it is not there.
frown.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, If we do a group order on these, I'm good for a hundred bucks worth.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Could anyone please enlighten me exactly on how the "group order" works? I'm kinda skeptical about the "group buy" thing. What if the "representative" buys whole bunch of LEDs, and then half of the "group" changes their minds?

Of course, I really WANT to get 2 or 3 LS units. But the price is really off-limits. They were gonna sell them BEFORE for $4. It means that it production cost must be around two bucks. But they are selling it for $20! Thats a #$%^ing ripoff!

Yes, I'm a cheap-***
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
Well, If we do a group order on these, I'm good for a hundred bucks worth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm good for $20 worth... one white, with optics.
blush.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad_scientist:
Could anyone please enlighten me exactly on how the "group order" works? I'm kinda skeptical about the "group buy" thing. What if the "representative" buys whole bunch of LEDs, and then half of the "group" changes their minds?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that money should be collected by whoever is going to be "point man" before order is placed. That way no one gets stuck "holding the bag".

If one of the "old-timers" here wants to do it, that would be great. Since I'm kind of a newbie, it would be better if someone a little more well known than I did it, but if no one else wants to do it I will volunteer.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Another thing: the group has to be large enough to get at least 20 units. (I don't think we can get up to 50, let alone 100 and up).

I still aspire that Peter Gransee could do it for us for a reasonable (for both parties
wink.gif
) price. I'm sure that he will do it if he can because he is DA MAN! But if LumiLeds won't let him, we might be stuck with the FutereElectronics.

BTW: I did a web search and found out that they have the LS on usbid
(enter part number: LXHL-NW98)

But they they require registration to view things. Anyone has an account there? )