what is a luxeon star?, top of the line LED?

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
I have heard of the Luxeon star. Is that a top of the line luxeon?, any info would be greatly appreciated.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try doing a search on CPF using the word Luxeon and visit the Arc Flashlight Forum here on CPF. There is tons of information on CPF alone.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
luxeon star is the name of the high output LED lumileds manufactures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have always been called luxeon star. Kinda like Chevy Corvette. Luxeon is the make, star is the model. There are also luxeon emitters, which are just the led with no attached heat sink etc.

treecowfar

Newly Enlightened
I heard somebody said that using NiHM on LED may overdriven the LED too much even burn out. Is luxeon star supports the usage of NiHM?

Moreover, is luxeon star regular?

Thank you!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bushman: i didn't know that; thanks for enlightening me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif btw why don't the modders buy the bare emitters instead of buying the stars and prying the emitters off them?

6pOriginal

Enlightened
They print the bin codes on the back of the star, so you know what you are getting...they don't put bin codes on the bare emitters, so you are basically trying for your luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

cosco

Newly Enlightened
Bigmikey, the Star is the shape of the heatsink led is attached to. There is also sqare shape of heatsink carriing optic holder. The led emitter itself is the same. There are however warious types of emitters regardles of heatsink shapes. The best thing to get into this is visiting lumiled's web and going through the datasheets.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Another reason for ordering stars, is that you don't know whether you need a star or an emitter for any given project. So you default to ordering stars since it is easier to take an emitter off a star board than it is to put an emitter back on a star board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
charles & wasabe: thanks for the information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif