DIY lens replacement for Arc LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Firstly, my apologies if this has been discussed before. A search for LENS and REPLACEMENT did not turn up anything for the LS model, only the 4+.

My seconds unit appears to have a botched AR job and has wavy lines across the lens, and a 'highlighted' (for lack of a better term) area on one side. My first thought was that this was the protective sheet applied to the lens, but no amount of gentle persuasion has been able to re/move it.
I have concluded that this is the lens itself, and not a sheet.

The diameter of the LS head is smaller than the 4+ so I'm assuming a 22.6mm replacement will not fit. What are my options for the LS?

Thanks.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a custom lens (UCL) from flashlightlens.com or you can beg Arc to just send you one.

Samoan

Enlightened
My LSH did the same thing. Turns out I had over-tightened it. Loosen a quarter turn and see if your problem goes away/changes.

Fernando

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
You can buy a custom lens (UCL) from flashlightlens.com or you can beg Arc to just send you one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will the 22.6mm lens from flashlightlens.com work on the LS?
Measured with a (somewhat) inaccurate plastic ruler, the head is barely 23mm across.

Thanks.

H00D

Newly Enlightened
There are a couple of threads dealing with a bubble on the lens of a LS, and how folks thought that it was a protective sheet applied to the lens, but then scratched the lens trying to take it off...Well I just received a LSH, thanks to the foot in the door program, and to my dismay found my light afflicted with "the bubble". Having read that it was pressure on the lens, I just left it alone.
The next day at work I was looking at it under some very bright lights and could see the edge of the protective sheet, I tryed to lift it with a finger nail and it lifted enough to make another bubble and clearly define the edge..I then lifted it off with my knife, without a scratch...I dont know if they are all this way..but mine was..good luck

stan

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Samoan said:
My LSH did the same thing. Turns out I had over-tightened it. Loosen a quarter turn and see if your problem goes away/changes.

Fernando

[/ QUOTE ]

So I start with opening the light, removing the battery and looking at the Co/Au contact on the green/copper PCB. It's held in by a ring that appears to ride on the same set of threads that keep the two halves of the light together.
There are two notches on opposite sides of the ring. If I unscrew this (CCW direction), assuming I can find the right tool for the job, will the entire innards of the head fall out?
I presume that I will then be in a position to [1] replace the lens or [2] just clean it and reseat it in the head.

Is there a gasket that should be replaced?

Thanks.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
about removing the lens protector, no need risking scratching the lens by using your fingernail or some other sharp object (like a knife) to lift it off. sticking some scotch tape on it and pulling it off from the edge of the bezel to the centre works better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 22.6mm lens is too big for the Arc LS. I replaced one for another fellow that I did a mod for (he ordered it and sent it to me) and the difference was like night and day. The lens is a custom cut lens and runs $7 with shipping.

CM

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
The 22.6mm lens is too big for the Arc LS. I replaced one for another fellow that I did a mod for (he ordered it and sent it to me) and the difference was like night and day. The lens is a custom cut lens and runs $7 with shipping.

CM

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi CM,

What size is the lens that fits the Arc LS, and where can I get one?

Thanks.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:

CM

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi CM,

What size is the lens that fits the Arc LS? I figure it to be 2-3mm smaller than 22.6mm?
I guess flashlightlens.com is this place for this.

Thanks.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canuckle, sorry for the delay. The Arc lens is 19.67mm. Yes you can get this as a custom lens from flashlightlens.com. That's where the one I did came from.

jrunner192

Newly Enlightened
I still haven't figured out how to post links without the url but if you go to about the 7th page of the arc forum and go to the thread titled "pictures of arc ls dis-assembled?" there is a good discussion and several pics of what the inside looks like and how everything goes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.