Surefire Tailcap question

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've noticed on my C3 that the tailcap (original momentary + twisty) has a tactile and almost audible "click" when pushed in, almost like the aluminum center piece is catching on the body tube. I think I can feel it when the tailcap is off the light as well. Has anybody seen this before? Any known way to smooth this out?

Edit: Just took it apart again and cleaned/lubed. Maybe a slight improvement I dunno. But what I did figure out is that its actually vertical play in the tailcap threads. Guess its not going anywhere unless I convert to a McClicky!

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
So I've noticed on my C3 that the tailcap (original momentary + twisty) has a tactile and almost audible "click" when pushed in, almost like the aluminum center piece is catching on the body tube. I think I can feel it when the tailcap is off the light as well. Has anybody seen this before? Any known way to smooth this out?

Edit: Just took it apart again and cleaned/lubed. Maybe a slight improvement I dunno. But what I did figure out is that its actually vertical play in the tailcap threads. Guess its not going anywhere unless I convert to a McClicky!

I just emailed SF about an extra tail cap, not broken just not as crisp a click as my P2X. I received an email back within an hour and a new tail cap within a few days.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Converting to a McClicky might not change that. Does the plastic retaining ring have play when you screw it into the tailcap without the other parts?

Eric

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't disassemble the tailcap itself so I don't know. I figure a McClicky would solve it, if I went that route, because then the t/c would be screwed in all the way. Guess it wouldn't hurt to send SF an email although I doubt they have replacements from this vintage left.

Latest posts