Recommendations for a single 18650 EDC light?

DaveTN

Newly Enlightened
I need to replace my Surefire E2E. Looking for something that uses rechargeable batteries in the same physical size range.

I was thinking about the Streamlight PROTAC 2L-X USB/. But I just got the PROTAC HL 5-X for a different application, I'm very happy with the light, but I'm not impressed at all with the "TEN TAP" program.

I would like:
LED, 500 lumens or more.
Can use one 18650 Button Top battery.
About .75 to 1" in diameter.
I'd like a simple fast high, low. I don't need strobe.
Reputable Mfg.
Around $100 or less.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
How about running your E2e on 16650 cells fit perfect in place of 2x CR123 cells.................guilt free lumens!

Also there are upgrade options for your E2e if not aware, from lumens factory LED to tana mods(singLED and tripLED) with driver and LED choices.

DaveTN

Newly Enlightened
How about running your E2e on 16650 cells fit perfect in place of 2x CR123 cells.................guilt free lumens!

Also there are upgrade options for your E2e if not aware, from lumens factory LED to tana mods(singLED and tripLED) with driver and LED choices.
Thanks, but mine is not LED. All the conversions I have seen are near the price of a new light.

ven

Flashaholic
You can use a 16650 in place if happy with the E2e, of course if you want something brighter then yes, some mods are over budget.

I would be tempted to look at malkoff, several options to suit.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For instance Malkoff MDC XP-L 16650 500 Lumen Flashlight.
It's over budget, but you'll never neeed to buy another. Malkoff's are bombproof and in the unlikely event of a problem the after sales sets the standard that other manufacturers can only envy.
If you wanted a 18650 tube they've just released one and i'm sure a quick email or phone call would secure a swap. There's also some single mode heads and neutral ones, if you can't find what you want on malkoff,com ask them (yes, they actually answer the phone) or us.
If you want a ligh that comes on every time and will do so until you get bored, this is the way to go.
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but mine is not LED. All the conversions I have seen are near the price of a new light.
There's plenty of people here would buy that E2E from you and do what Ven says.
I reckon you could more or less fund the new light with it.
Have a look at the old WTS values.
P

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you planning to carry it? My current EDC is a Nitecore EA11 because I like the size. It basically disappears on my belt. If I need t step up with my EDC I use my Nitecore P30. Due to the larger head it is definitely a belt carry light. Even with the larger head it feels great in my hand, and the beam is outstanding. It is set up just right. There is a tight center beam that really reaches out, and the spill is just enough to let you be aware of what's around you while not interfering with the center beam. And as an added bonus, it has a tail switch so one doesn't have to worry about parasitic drain.

Nitecore has several lights in both their 'E' series and their 'MT' series lights. Check them out.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Since no one has mentioned yet I go with a Zebralight SC600w MK3 or MK4. Beautiful beam, customizable settings in a relatively small 18650 package.

lwknight

Enlightened
Sounds like Jetbeam BC-25 would fit the bill perfectly. Tailcap button and 2 speeds by twisting the head. About as small as you get in the 700 lumen range with heat sinking ability. I know there are smaller lights but they will get hot quickly on high power.

Dingo07

Newly Enlightened
I have an EagTac D25LC2 and a Nitecore MH10, both with a CREE XM-L2 U2 LED and use one 18650 3400 mAh cell. I love both but use the EagTac every single day for work - can't beat it. I think both fit the bill for what you're looking for.

9k=

DaveTN

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm going to give the Fenix PD35 V2.0 a try. Thanks for the recommendations.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod the E2E or get the Zebralight any 18650 model. Personally I like my SC62W is perfect.
If you want to keep it Surefire I have the G2X with the 15/300 lumens is awesome. 16650 Obtronic fits perfect.
I don't like the Streamlight ten tap either.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2x Pro is still a great light. I like mine for EDC.

Very light, compact and the 2-mode is very nice.

It fails your criteria due to inability to use 18650. so I get it.

I just got the latest greatest Malkoff M61, it comes close to what you want. In an MD2 package. 425+ lumens. I like the single mode.

Dingo07

Newly Enlightened
Why spend more when you don't have to... I don't know about the quality of the Malkoff compared to either of these, but I can't imagine a 40% increase in price is worth it...
2Q==

Dingo07

Newly Enlightened
It seems I can't include pictures... let's try that again...
2Q==

Last edited: