[Review] Xiaomi USB Powerbank LED Flashlight

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a review of the Xiaomi combination powerbank and flashlight. This is a small flashlight that features a 3350mAh USB powerbank, as well as a decent 240 lumen adjustable flashlight. The clean look and simple design makes this a nice device to carry for both recharging of your USB devices, and for night flashlight needs.

There is a Youtube video of the light I posted here:

See the video description for a link to the light, as well as a discount code if you wish to buy it.

The Xiaomi USB powerbank/flashlight was provided by Banggood for review purposes. I receive no other form of compensation.

tZCqm0N.jpg

TmooIPJ.jpg

Overview:

When I received the Xiaomi powerbank/flashlight for review, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. It has a modest 3350mAh battery, which is enough to charge a dead smartphone, but not much more. It also has a decent 240 lumen flashlight with 11 different mode levels, which is nice, but nothing to brag about in the world of 1000+ lumen lights.

However, my wife quickly made me realize this is a very useful device for both emergency and casual use. She was going somewhere without convenient access to power, and her smart phone really eats its battery when using Google Maps. So, I always suggest she take a powerbank for emergency use. She always declines, because they're big and ugly and won't fit in her purse.

However, she snapped up the Xiaomi right away. Something about the size and look made it an easy choice for her. She also wanted a flashlight in case she was out past dusk, so the Xiaomi fit the purpose perfectly. It turned out she needed to use it, because she needed to use Google Maps a lot, which drains her battery.

Since then, she's used it 2 more times. She's even used the flashlight function, because it's more convenient than getting out another light. So, it appears there is a demand for such a device. Xiaomi made the proper decision to maximize usability, rather than concentrate on power.

iZHGpui.jpg

w0DXzxs.jpg

1JjWHzE.jpg

Flashlight User Interface:

The Xiaomi is extremely simple to use. Rotate the front of the flashlight clockwise to turn on the flashlight, and continue rotating it to ramp up the brightness. The light clicks as you turn it, so it's easy to step through each brightness level. Rotate counter-clockwise to step down the light, and turn it off.

There are 11 different levels in all. The light comes on in the lowest mode, which is about 10 lumens. The highest level is listed at 240 lumens, though I measure it at 290 lumens on a full charge.

The light has a fairly tight hotspot, since the LED appears to be a small XP-E2 emitter. Therefore, the throw is fairly good for a 290 lumen output. Outdoors, it makes a nice light.

The beam tint is also very nice, being a pure white with very little color shift (the spill is a bit magenta) and no sign of green in the tint. I measure the CCT at 5300K, which is cool white, but definitely towards the neutral side.

There is also a hidden SOS strobe, which can be accessed by triple-clicking a small button at the end of the light. I'm generally not a fan of strobes, but it might make sense in an emergency situation, and there's no way you will accidentally acivate it.

JrzsseH.jpg

n7nh9nB.jpg

Powerbank User Interface:

As a USB powerbank, the Xiaomi operates in the very simple manner you would expect.

Use any micro-USB cable (it comes with one), to charge it up. Reverse the cable to use it as a power source to charge up any micro-USB device, such as a smartphone. It operates the 5V output at a maximum of 1 amp.

During both charging and when using it as a power source, the button on the end of the device will flash a color to indicate its charge level. Green is almost full, yellow is partially charged, and red is low.

When charging the Xiaomi, you know when it's complete when the LED turns solid green and stops flashing.

You can also press the LED button to see its current charge level at any time.

I find the Xiaomi will charge any micro-USB device, even devices that take a low current and will not normally charge from some other powerbanks. The specs indicate you can get it to charge very low-power devices by double-clicking the LED indicator button, though I didn't find it necessary to do that. But for very low-power devices, you might have to do that.

Overall, it's a simple USB powerbank, and effective.

dL0e00B.jpg

VszXisK.jpg

Specifications:

Construction: Aluminum body. Clean, sharp look. The light is not waterproof, due to the charging ports.

LED: XP-E2 5300K coolish white

Min Output: 10 lumens

Max output: 290 lumens

Run time: Approx 3 hours

Modes: 11 levels + SOS strobe

Input: 5V/1A (to charge internal battery)

Output: 5V/1A (for external USB charging)

Battery: 3350mAh lithium-ion cell

Size: 120mm long x 25mm diameter

Weight: 101g

Tail-stands: Yes

Contents: Xiaomi Mobile Power Mini Flashlight, Micro-USB Charging Cable, Lanyard

iWoyqMC.jpg

My impressions:

Pros:

- Very nice, simple, clean look.

- Small for either a flashlight or a powerbank.

- Very easy to use.

- Decent throw for a small light.

Cons:

- Not waterproof.

- No obvious way to replace the internal battery, if it eventually wears out.

Summary:

The Xiaomi is a nice combination light and powerbank for someone that would benefit from having such a device for occasional use. It is very portable. I think it would make a very nice gift, and it comes in a nice case with everything you need.

That's all for now. Thank you for reading.