Best Light for an Electrician

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, I have a buddy who is an electrician and is using those hardware store Coast brand lights right now. I'm giving him suggestions on getting a real light. Need a suggestion for both head lamp and handheld. Long runtime would be good as he uses it for 8 hours a day sometimes. Also don't want something that will be too hot on the headlamp. Doesn't have to be a VN light.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an electrician and I use a Sunwayman C22C for my flashlight. Small and easy to carry and doesn't take up hardly any room in my tool box, side flood light plus regular light in front, USB port for charging or just switch out the battery, plus a magnet in the tail cap. It's pretty much prefect unless he needs a lot more lumens. Then he'll want a bigger light for heat. On my hard hat I use Nitecore HC90. It's heavier then the cheap ones most people use but the 18650 battery gives way more light and lasts longer then the AAAs. It also has the USB charging feature. Best thing for me though is the sliding switch. No fumbling around to find the button and push it just right, and the ability to get just the right amount of lumens is really nice. I have the Vinh versions but stock would do fine. I've been using them for years and have never found anything better. For me anyway.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Olight H1R, Acebeam H15 for headlamps

ToolVN are very popular for my electricians.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't you worry about using a metal light in a situation where it might conduct static electricity or accidental contact with a live wire?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't you worry about using a metal light in a situation where it might conduct static electricity or accidental contact with a live wire?

Many other tools are also metal. ToolVN Al being anodized doesnt have much of a worry there. Its size and output makes ideal for from pocket carry and access. Clicky makes easy operation also.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

No. You wouldn't be using a flashlight for hot work, and that would be the only time you would/should come across wire (accept for a ground) that has been stripped.

ven

Flashaholic
deleted by author

Vinh can help you fine tune LED wise, i would recommend something close to 5000k . Ideally a hi cri, maybe a nichia of sorts(219c or 219b as examples). Being a little on the warm side(so say 4k here) could potentially warm up the reds and browns and make them appear close, where as 5000k being cleaner(subjective), that would be my reason for a little on the cool side of neutral.

Best of both worlds in ways, you can pick a host, tweak for friend(personal touch), keep or change driver to suit his application. Not to mention vinhs warranty is 2nd to none, so any issue be it unlikely, he will look after you.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my toolvn with Vinh's driver at 5000k almost exclusively anytime I was in a panel box at work. Can't beat them. I worked in an extremely dusty environment and never had a problem with it. It'll hold up and give you all the modes you need.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say anywhere between 4000 to 5500 will be neutral enough to offer a balanced color spectrum for differentiating wire colors. Just as important as CRI is the inherent white-point of the emitters. A lot of LEDs will have a green bias, so at CCTs closer to 4000k, everything can look kinda yellowish, so you'll get less than ideal separation between brown and red, and at higher CCTs, the green cast and lack of deep red (R9) rendering can wash out reds to make them look more brown. A Lee Zircon minus green filter can help correct the white point of the LED emitter, so you have the best of all worlds: neutral color spectrum output, neutral white point, and high CRI.

I say all this as hyperbole though, you don't need a perfect light to see wire colors accurately, but they can help make for a more natural and pleasing experience.

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
I used my toolvn with Vinh's driver at 5000k almost exclusively anytime I was in a panel box at work. Can't beat them. I worked in an extremely dusty environment and never had a problem with it. It'll hold up and give you all the modes you need.

Does ToolVN heat up a lot though, and what about battery life? Is that good enough for using all day?

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
I'd say anywhere between 4000 to 5500 will be neutral enough to offer a balanced color spectrum for differentiating wire colors. Just as important as CRI is the inherent white-point of the emitters. A lot of LEDs will have a green bias, so at CCTs closer to 4000k, everything can look kinda yellowish, so you'll get less than ideal separation between brown and red, and at higher CCTs, the green cast and lack of deep red (R9) rendering can wash out reds to make them look more brown. A Lee Zircon minus green filter can help correct the white point of the LED emitter, so you have the best of all worlds: neutral color spectrum output, neutral white point, and high CRI.

I say all this as hyperbole though, you don't need a perfect light to see wire colors accurately, but they can help make for a more natural and pleasing experience.

So do you think 5000k Nicha 219c without filter would be a good option? I don't have any experience using filters. Maybe there is a good light that can do a Cree emitter for main light and Hi CRI for secondary? I know Kevin recommended the C22C, but I would like something with USB charging as well. Any ideas?

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichias are usually pretty close to the black body curve, so I don't think you'll need a filter for the ultimate in color accuracy.

ven

Flashaholic
I find the 219c 5000k nice for general uses, my preferences tend to be anywhere from 4k to 5k in temps. I just find closer to 5k a little less in tint (not always a given) generally. The 219b is also a nice choice of emitter.

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know of a light that has a CREE emitter and a secondary that Vinh could make a 219b/c that has usb charging?