Fenix Outfitters        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FireFlies ROT66vn - Most Compact PopCan?

Default FireFlies ROT66vn - Most Compact PopCan?

• Great design & Performance
    • Cool Blue AUX LEDs
    • Anduril UI
    • All specs will have Sky Lumen Warranty

Spec 1 XPL HI 6500K Lumen 7000, 60Kcd, 490m Throw $100
    Spec 2 XPL HI 5000K Lumen $100
    Spec 3 Samsung 351 HCRI 4000K, Lumen 6200, 25Kcd, 316m Throw $200
    Spec 4 Samsung 5000K $200
    Spec 5 Nichia 219c 5000K $200
    Spec 6 XPG2 PDT $200

Please note the options you prefer in checkout note:
    A) Black or Sand color
    B) Low, Med (Stock), High AUX brightness

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 10-09-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Re: FireFlies R0T66vn

First sample has 1 dead Dead XPL HI upon start up. Took light apart to reveals mostly crushed LEDS.

New Samsung LED replaced

2nd Sample has optics poorly installed that misaligned with LEDs. Luckily no LED damage.

I will look at more samples and update
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 08-23-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Re: FireFlies ROT66vn - Most Compact PopCan?

Alrighty than....... This could be good!
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Alrighty than....... This could be good!
    So far I like it a a lot despite poor assembly from the factory. More pocket friendly than MK34vn although longer. I still like both Equally. Stock price of $125 excellent though.

All versions will have my warranty and I will look over and touch up them all.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Other member got the one dead led too.. vn version is way to go because he inspect everything.. like to see beamshots.

Don't see a reason to go with any other LED besides the 219B SW45K R9080 Nichia on this one. If you can make a version with the Nichia E21A SM503 R9080 (or even optisolis) color me interested.

Scary about the crushed emitters. Lord knows how badly they get handled while shipped across the world.

The stock driver and UI are very good. Fully flat regulated output up to 700 lumens with the Nichia is super practical.

When asked about the Samsung LEDs, fireflies said they were too large to be installed in the optics? Guess they were wrong?
    Last edited by twistedraven; 08-23-2018 at 08:12 PM.

E21As don't like FET drivers much, even when you have a lot of them. The forward voltage is extremely low.

90 CRI LH351Ds do come a couple flux bins higher at 5000K than they do at 4000K. Arrow and Digikey both have them. Arrow was selling them for 74 cents for a while, but it's back up to $2.46 (with free overnight shipping on all orders).
    Ceilingbounce - flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Don't see a reason to go with any other LED besides the 219B SW45K R9080 Nichia on this one. If you can make a version with the Nichia E21A SM503 R9080 (or even optisolis) color me interested.

Scary about the crushed emitters. Lord knows how badly they get handled while shipped across the world.

The stock driver and UI are very good. Fully flat regulated output up to 700 lumens with the Nichia is super practical.
    If the light is designed in such a way that emitters can be damaged from rough handling during shipment, then that is a tragically poor design. Seems like an issue of sloppy assembly to me.

I have a Nichia 9080 version on the way that I bought solely because of the LEDs. I would be interested to see how the Samsung's compare to the Nichias though. Beamshots?
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

This is not good news as i have the Nichia version on the way also. Hope mine isn't trashed like your samples.

I have one nichia champagne bought from before the group buy and one black nicha from the group buy on the way as well. Now I'm praying for them to be in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Zunkted View Post
    This is not good news as i have the Nichia version on the way also. Hope mine isn't trashed like your samples.
    I have one nichia champagne bought from before the group buy and one black nicha from the group buy on the way as well. Now I'm praying for them to be in one piece.
    I heard nichia version are fine.. no damage..

I have the nichia version incoming.. Am worried now

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    I have the nichia version incoming.. Am worried now
    I wouldn't worry too much. My 3rd sample looks great. Let me put cells in it ;-)

Every light comes with a spare tail cap. hnm...
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Good news: Last sample works fine
    Bad news: LEDs are also crushed. Bond wires are nearly lifted on a few LEDs. Reliability is very iffey at this point for those LEDs.

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I wonder why they come with a spare tail cap? Is it identical? I know you can purchase a stainless steel cap for an additional $5 from the manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    I wonder why they come with a spare tail cap? Is it identical? I know you can purchase a stainless steel cap for an additional $5 from the manufacture.
    Nm those arent spares. They were supplier gifts to me.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I have heard the Samsung LEDs tend to be a little green. One thing that might be nifty for this light-- since there's a glass lens on top of the optics, is the thought of putting a Lee Zircon minus green filter in between there-- like a minus 1/8th or minus 1/4th, to give it a tint that's closer to black body or even slightly below it. I think people would like that very much. Maukka measured with these filters and got amazing results-- CRI in the 96-98 range, R9 in the 80-90 range, and duv that was -.0005.

My first of two ROT66s arrives monday or tuesday. Fingers crossed it's not crushed.
    Last edited by twistedraven; 08-24-2018 at 09:33 PM.

LH351Ds in 5000K look much like 219Cs, but a little less green.
    Ceilingbounce - flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

My Black Nichia ROT66 from the group buy arrived today, no damaged LEDs or badly centered LEDs on mine, thankfully. The larger XPL HIs seem to be a little prone to getting crushed by the optics.

My Black Nichia ROT66 from the group buy arrived today, no damaged LEDs or badly centered LEDs on mine, thankfully. The larger XPL HIs seem to be a little prone to getting crushed by the optics.

Nice. You are lucky.. have you experienced any green tint ?

My XP-L arrived with 1 LED not turning on. Seems a crappy light then.

My nichia ROT66 seems ok so far.
    Last edited by KG_Tuning; 08-27-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    DX80, MF04, X80-GT, X45vn, DT70, MF01, ROT66, TN40vn, M43 219c, D4S, Q8, D4 My 4k Flashlight Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

No, it makes everything else look green, while I don't perceive it to be pinkish at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zunkted View Post
    No, it makes everything else look green, while I don't perceive it to be pinkish at all.
    Do you have an estimate ballpark lumen on your rot66 nichia @ 30 seconds ?

Fireflies gonna make a new version with aux led.. wow. Cool..

If you have Nichia LEDs with almost perfect tint why not just use that on moon as aux? how much less power does the aux LEDs use in comparison I wonder? and if so other than looking cool wouldn't aux LEDs be better in red for a night light? - anyway when the light is off the 4x blue aux LEDs in the button gives off way enough light to find it and navigate around the house in my experience.

Sooo been using this light the last several days. The thin body make the light relatively light but it also kinda make the lights feel cheap. The light is very well designed with excellent performance but does feel a bit cheap. Not sure if Its just me. But in general I think its a good light especially for the money.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Vinh, don't forget that this light uses 7075 Alu that has nearly 2x the strength and slightly better heat dissipation properties than the normal 6061 Alu in most lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Newlumen View Post
    Do you have an estimate ballpark lumen on your rot66 nichia @ 30 seconds ?
    It depends on what temp you configure the light to start thermally step down at. At its factory default temp (50c I think) it steps down at 30 secs and lowers to 1500ish lumens. If you configure it to 65c, it steps down to 1500 lumens at around 90 secs. The light will step down to 700 lumens (its max regulated output) a couple minutes after that, then stay at 700 for the next 3 or so hours. These numbers are for the Nichia version from Maukka's great review of the ROT66.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    If you have Nichia LEDs with almost perfect tint why not just use that on moon as aux? how much less power does the aux LEDs use in comparison I wonder? and if so other than looking cool wouldn't aux LEDs be better in red for a night light? - anyway when the light is off the 4x blue aux LEDs in the button gives off way enough light to find it and navigate around the house in my experience.
    I like the super feint glow of the cyan-colored gitd strip myself, I wish the leds on the button were as dim as it and had the same cyan color. Or optionally have cyan colored super dim aux leds on the board and the same cyan colored leds on button. I like that splash of glowing color.

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    Sooo been using this light the last several days. The thin body make the light relatively light but it also kinda make the lights feel cheap. The light is very well designed with excellent performance but does feel a bit cheap. Not sure if Its just me. But in general I think its a good light especially for the money.
    The light feels very solid in my hand-- it's pretty heavy for its size-- and I haven't even gotten the stainless steel tailcap to put on it either. I think the main draw of this light are the kind of Nichia emitters they chose for the Nichia model. They're the now discontinued SW45K D220 R9080 emitters. These are the higher CRI nichia offers, and are guaranteed to be slightly rosy-- a really beautiful tint, it blows my other high cri stuff out of the water.

I am very interested to see what you can do with the Samsung LEDs with a Lee Zircon 804 (green minus 1/4th) over them though, Vinh.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    Vinh, don't forget that this light uses 7075 Alu that has nearly 2x the strength and slightly better heat dissipation properties than the normal 6061 Alu in most lights.
    That's true, it is 7075 aluminum. I also like the feel of the anodizing on it, it's a slightly rubbery feel that adds more grip than other lights. Almost like an armytek. I think 6061 is better at heat dissipation than 7075 though.

ROT66 is 8oz with carrier
    S6330 is 8.7oz
    MK34 is 9.5oz
    SR mini is 10oz
    MM15 is 11.6oz
    M43 is 12.5oz
    MT18 is 18.8oz

If anything it is hefty only compared to the D4S at 4.4oz. I always wished that they would add more mass to the Emisar series. As is they are too light with just enough mass to hold things together.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 08-28-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Lighter the better for jacket pocket carry imo. That MT18/MF02 must be quite the brick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast