Review of the Astrolux MF02 (NW) flashlight

zieloczek100

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]Astrolux MF02[/FONT]

Hello,
My name is Eryk. I am writing reviews in Polish.
Reviews I translate – google translator.

The box in which the Astrolux MF02 was packed is not only aesthetic but also ascetic. From the top, matt white was covered with a shiny sketch of a flashlight. And the logo with the designation of the model can be found only on a small sticker on the side of the box. And that's it. We will not be aware of the flashlight specifications, description of its features or hundreds of photos of the product itself. Does Astrolux have nothing to boast about? Or maybe positioning above other producers and their cheap marketing?

Looking inside the box - in the middle of the flashlight itself we can also find:
- holster
- 2 spare O-rings,
- shoulder strap with a screw-in clip,
- leash on the wrist,
- 3/8 "to 1/4" thread adapter (standard thread used in photography),
- manual user instructions.

If the presence of a shoulder belt on this size of a flashlight does not surprise me at all, so the presence of the wrist bows already does. Why? - You can drop this "block" from your hand by detaching it
evil.gif

Being already with accessories. The shoulder strap of outstanding quality is not, but it fulfills its role. This is an ordinary one-inch tape with two snap hooks.

Nylon holster deserves more attention. With a high probability it is one of the best made flashlight holsters I have ever dealt with. Often I meet with unfortunate designed loops, protruding threads, too small Velcro, etc. In this case, there is nothing to attach. The interior of the holster has been padded with a soft neoprene that further protects the flashlight. The MF02 sits deep inside it, so there is no fear of the flashlight accidentally slipping out with more dynamic body movements.

Building:

I have already named the Astrolux MF02 in a block, so it's time to familiarize you with its construction. This model is 18.9cm long, the diameter of the head is as much as 8.5cm, and the diameter of the tube 5.5cm. The flashlight weighs not much, 799g, and after installing four links 18650, MF02 mass increases to about 990g. We add a belt and the magical value of 1kg is exceeded.

The material from which the MF02 body was made is of course aluminum - covered with black anodisation. Astrolux wrote down here because the coating is nicely matte. The flashlight consists of three parts: the head of the tube and the cap (or actually 4 parts if we count the basket for batteries). The thread from the head side is not glued, so the flashlight can be unscrewed here. The threads on both sides of the tube are the same - small, trapezoidal, also covered with anodization. Unfortunately, I do not remember whether the novelties were properly lubricated.

The manufacturer states that the Astrolux MF02 meets the standard IXP7, so a fall from the height of 1.5m and full immersion under water are not terrible. It is true that this is not IPX8 as in most other flashlights, but you need to take into account considerable size and mass MF02. For comparison, let me just add that the leaders - a large and very popular manufacturer meet at most the IPX4 standard ...

The diode in this particular model is nothing more than XHP-35 Hi about D4 and neutral color (which we'll talk about later). Its centering is exemplary to my eye.

The MF02 reflector is SMO type, but it is perfectly smooth. Looking at him closer, you can see his delicate texture. It should be noted that the Thrunitea TN42 reflector is a little better made.

And this is how the Thrunitea TN42 reflector looks like:

Marcel, thanks for the photos
wink.gif

The glass was covered with a slightly pink anti-reflective coating. Under the glass, clean and tidy. Zero ferns, pollen, dust etc.
The whole is topped with a massive steel ring that protects the entire optics. Unfortunately, it can not be unscrewed because the thread has been sealed. It is a pity, because it makes it difficult to modify the flashlight.

MF02 is operated using a button located on the side of the flashlight. The click is of the electronic type (micro-switch). With his feel there is no problem, because it is in a special cutout, which also has a protective function - it makes it difficult to accidentally turn on the flashlight. Yes, so the handling of the Astrolux MF02 is without problems - even in thick gloves.

Electronics:

After installing the battery in the basket, the flashlight goes into the stand-by mode (in which the MF02 gets ~ 3mA), which is signaled by a pulsating green flashing of the button. Turn on the flashlight with a single, short click, and turn it off for longer.During operation MF02, the backlight under the button is always on.

You can also lock the flashlight by pressing and holding the switch for about 2 seconds. When Astro is locked, the backlight also turns off.

Having already mentioned the highlighting of the button, it should be added that it also has the function of the battery level indicator. I will only mention that the MF02 power supply is arranged in a 2S2P packet, that is four cells, connected in two parallel rows of 2 cells. Coming back - when the voltage drops below 6.8V, the button turns red, while below the value of 6.1V it will blink. The flashlight falls at 5.8V which corresponds to a voltage of 2.9V on each of the links.

Modes (declared number of lumens, approximate working time, measured by me current consumption):

- SŁABY (15lm / 300h / 0.016A)
- ŚREDNI (350lm / 25h / 0.245A)
- WYSOKI (1700lm / 3h 30min / 2.02A)
- TURBO (3000lm -> 1800lm / 2h 30 min / 6.25A)
- STROBO
- SAUCE
- BEACON

Basic modes skip in the loop weak -> medium -> high -> turbo -> weak ... You can also get to turbo mode directly - press the button twice quickly. Fast three-click gives us access to special modes, i.e. strobo, SOS and beacon.

As you can see U01 MF02 is not complicated. As for the placement of modes, I have no comments - each time the button is pressed, the amount of light increases noticeably. Yes, there is no moon mode (<1lm), although I do not miss it in this model - it is not an EDC lamp, where the presence of such a mode is considered mandatory.

As befits a good flashlight, Astrolux MF02 is based on a boost controller.

How does he present himself in practice? Shortly before the flashlight turns itself off due to the discharge of the batteries - it shines with a power corresponding to 80% of the initial amount of light. Pretty good, but I have to notice that I saw more flat charts.

The measurement was made using water as the coolant. Without it, the graph looks a bit different because its 3 grosze inserts a thermal protector programmed at 55 * C.

However, the surface of the flashlight does not exceed 50 * C, which I think is a good value. Above it is made so warm that the flashlight is difficult to keep in hand, for example, Armytek Wizard PRO or Olight H2R with thermal protection set at 65 * C.

The ribbing does the job.

Distribution and color of light:

Astrolux offers MF02 in two versions - on a cold or neutral diode. I, of course, decided on the second option. Neutral MF02 turns out to be only on paper, because it has a distinctly warm color. The spot is yellowish, and its crown is slightly green. Tint-shift is really small, so I can forgive Astrolux.

Regarding the distribution of light let the beamshots speak for themselves.

Utorch UT02

Olight M2X

Astrolux MF02

Thrunite TN42

* UT02

control photo

Astrolux MF02

Thrunite TN42

Summary:

What can I say? Huge range and great performance - these two terms perfectly characterize the Astrolux MF02. If you need a reliable searchlight, I can recommend it to you. Yes, there are torches on the market that have an even greater range, such as the Thrunite TN42 with which I confronted the MF02 during the tests, Lumintop (BLF) GT, or the current king of range - Astrolux MF04. However, I would like to point out that lamps with head-sized spotlights are an average handy tool. In my opinion, MF02 is a good compromise between range and size and mass. And in this opinion, I would like to finish my longish scribble.

Photos by: Michał "Smokuxxx1987" Długosz