Menards, guidsman 3,000 lumens! Really?

nitebrite

Enlightened
I mentioned this a few days ago in passing but honestly wondered how the discrepancy is allowed. I tried this thing and turned on my UDX Dominator which was like the difference between the sun and moon. So no 3,000Lm. I remember all the discussions about this but in 2018 how can Menards get away with it? I do not know what emitter is in it, it takes 4xRCR123A. I know I am not making a fair comparison but shouldn't is actually be 3,000Lm? I am not an idiot or being smart I just don't get how they can still pull this. I suppose answer is folks that shop there know none the better. The thing is that is a major purchase flashlight at that kind of store. So I would think they would be but I guess still not. In closing I was wondering if anyone knows how many Lumens this might really be OTF? I do like the form factor(brick) of it. Is it probably as bright as SL HL4? Heck even SL does not tell the truth still so who knows. Only SF remains, of all things underrated. Just wondering if this is even as bright as 1,200Lm Fury? Again, not being wise I kind of like it but no reason to get blatantly ripped off. I imagine you can really get 3kLm++++ on Amazon but probably bigger light. Well, Would you guys put 50 bucks on this? I understand this does not appeal to most here regardless. I just like the size of it if it is even 1,000Lm. Maybe not even. I guess I have more money than brains. Thanks

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
I mentioned this a few days ago in passing but honestly wondered how the discrepancy is allowed. I tried this thing and turned on my UDX Dominator which was like the difference between the sun and moon. So no 3,000Lm. I remember all the discussions about this but in 2018 how can Menards get away with it? I do not know what emitter is in it, it takes 4xRCR123A. I know I am not making a fair comparison but shouldn't is actually be 3,000Lm? I am not an idiot or being smart I just don't get how they can still pull this. I suppose answer is folks that shop there know none the better. The thing is that is a major purchase flashlight at that kind of store. So I would think they would be but I guess still not. In closing I was wondering if anyone knows how many Lumens this might really be OTF? I do like the form factor(brick) of it. Is it probably as bright as SL HL4? Heck even SL does not tell the truth still so who knows. Only SF remains, of all things underrated. Just wondering if this is even as bright as 1,200Lm Fury? Again, not being wise I kind of like it but no reason to get blatantly ripped off. I imagine you can really get 3kLm++++ on Amazon but probably bigger light. Well, Would you guys put 50 bucks on this? I understand this does not appeal to most here regardless. I just like the size of it if it is even 1,000Lm. Maybe not even. I guess I have more money than brains. Thanks

Theoretical lumens vs bulb lumens vs actual out the front lumens

The super high too good to be true numbers lights like that usually claim the theoretical lumens that the emitter is possibly capable of on paper.

Im betting it, at best is 600 out the front. I could be wrong.. but that is my take on something like that.

But for $44 i bet you can get something else that blows it out of the water.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah for that much money you could get an Emisar D4S which does an actual 4000+ lumens.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Thanks guy's. That is a waste, If 600, even 800 I have no use for that whatsoever. I guess they can get away with saying it because it is in fact perhaps 3,000 just not OTF. The Dominator UDX of course is a totally different class but actually does put over 3,000 OTF. I just liked the shape of this thing but it is useless to me. I do see that there are smaller lights that are real 3,000-4,000Lm and about the same money. I wonder how many of those they sell but not my problem.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Guidesman a Menards' house brand?

They get away with it because:

(a) No one has tested it and then filed a complaint with a documented allegation of false advertising with the FTC or state authorities, and...

(b) Because there's good odds Menards themselves doesn't know the actual performance of the light. From what I've seen, a lot of stores seem to choose many of the items they have on their shelves by responding to offers from manufacturers to sell their product, or soliciting bids for products they want to sell under their brand name. A buyer who may or may not have relevant technical knowledge makes the arrangements, but likely trusts the manufacturer to have reasonably accurate specs.

nitebrite

Enlightened
lucky13, exactly. They can make claims unchallenged. I bet my money it is only about 500 OTF. Look at the Dominator UDF and how many CR123 it takes to reach an actual about 2,800Lm. This takes 4 x123 probably on an xp-g. It is not even a split diode. It is a single segment diode! they have the last model also 3kLm for 4 cents lol. 'nuff said.