Peak Eiger questions

Vemice

Enlightened
I am considering ordering one and would like to know if anyone has purchased one recently.
I have read many posts about the QTC being a bit finicky but most threads were several years old. Wondering if the newest version has the apparent bugs worked out.
Also considering a single mode version. Around the house at night I really only need less than 10lmns. I would also assume the single mode version would, overall, be more reliable in the long run.
Any input appreciated.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have quite a few Peak lights, none recently acquired however.

QTC is very efficient, in terms of electronic overhead, but yes "finicky"

Single mode Peaks are still where this brand really shines, so to speak :cool:

Glad to answer any other questions, if I can....

Vemice

Enlightened
I have quite a few Peak lights, none recently acquired however.

QTC is very efficient, in terms of electronic overhead, but yes "finicky"

Single mode Peaks are still where this brand really shines, so to speak :cool:

Glad to answer any other questions, if I can....

Thank you. Trying to mimic my Mcgizmo Sapphire if possible. Like the ability to vary brightness though.
I know, maybe get both!!!!!

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Eiger that I got a few months back. It is indeed still very finicky. Twisting the flashlight ramps it up to max very fast, and this is inconvenient because I mainly want to use it for the moonlight levels. Another issue I've run into is that the QTC is very sensitive. Once I've dialed in the brightness I want, the slightest bump can change the brightness because the QTC responds to pressure. The Eiger itself seems overbuilt, but I do wish the QTC was more reliable.

Vemice

Enlightened
I have an Eiger that I got a few months back. It is indeed still very finicky. Twisting the flashlight ramps it up to max very fast, and this is inconvenient because I mainly want to use it for the moonlight levels. Another issue I've run into is that the QTC is very sensitive. Once I've dialed in the brightness I want, the slightest bump can change the brightness because the QTC responds to pressure. The Eiger itself seems overbuilt, but I do wish the QTC was more reliable.

Looks like I will go with single mode nichia hi cri at around 5-10 lumens. Thanks for the help.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eiger QTC is the kind of light that makes flashlights fun again. Not it's not perfect. Yes if you knock the light it will chsnge output. Yes it's quirky. But that's what makes them cool. I've had two divers, both warm hi cri, one QTC and one with around 10 lumen output. Both were great but the QTC is more fun. They're one of the lights that I really miss and think about repurchasing from time to time. You could order the 10 lumen head from Robyn and get two bodies, one with and one without QTC.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although probably not as durable as when it is inside the "pill" , I find that just using the QTC material alone in the tube almost works better ... :shrug:

Vemice

Enlightened
Eiger QTC is the kind of light that makes flashlights fun again. Not it's not perfect. Yes if you knock the light it will chsnge output. Yes it's quirky. But that's what makes them cool. I've had two divers, both warm hi cri, one QTC and one with around 10 lumen output. Both were great but the QTC is more fun. They're one of the lights that I really miss and think about repurchasing from time to time. You could order the 10 lumen head from Robyn and get two bodies, one with and one without QTC.

Like the idea of body option but does't that limit the max output to 10 lumens? Obviously not a pro so pardon my ignorance.
Also, when going from standard AAA to 10440 will the output go up significantly?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it would limit maximum output to 10 lumens at ~1.5v. I like Eigers at #4 power because it is the perfect mix of output and runtime for me. However, it is higher than the 5-10 lumens you're looking for. So, you have a question to ask yourself, "do I limit max output to the 5-10 lumens I'm looking for, or do I go for a higher output and limit with QTC." The best option might be to limit the head to 5-10 lumens at 1.5V, but have the option of higher output on Li-Ion, as you mention.

I own 5 Eigers that are QTC-less and would have it no other way. QTC is an efficient way to get variable output and works well in theory but not in practice, in my opinion.

Vemice

Enlightened
Thank you both. I think the way to go for me is single mode at 10 lumens. 10440 should bump that up to 15-20 should I choose to.
Just waiting for Robyn to get back to me.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a reference document at home form Peak that estimates the output at the various levels. I'm going to make a guess that 10 lumens would be a #2 level, but I can post what I have in the reference later.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak power levels & output ...

Eiger on 1x AAA vs 10440

#1 ... 6 lm ... 12 lm
#2 ... 9 lm ... 19 lm
#3 ... 11 lm ... 24 lm
#4 ... 13 lm ... 28 lm

Note that this is very approximate data, based on the rather old Rebel emitters

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There you go...the same data I have. The lumens numbers are approximated from candela, which Peak has always rated their lights with.

The XP-G numbers are higher. I'd estimate my #4 XP-G Eigers put out more than 13 lumens on AAA--probably closer to 20, so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, just purely guessing, I would think that (among more recent emitter options, as compared with the Rebel) output would be, as follows ...

Rebel < Nichia < XP-G < XP-G2

Vemice

Enlightened
May I say how refreshing it is to find someone looking for a low output light rather than a Barnburner.
P

I hear ya'. I kinda grew out of that phase. 90% of the time I just need light. Sometimes just an aid to read a menu. Really like the High CRI stuff for that.
As you get a little older and the testosterone levels drop, you don't need to show off any more. Don't care if yours is bigger than mine...........