TNC ultra high power Cr2.AAA safe?

nitebrite

Enlightened
I was just wondering if you are not very careful. like for instance accidently turn on in pocket or some other scenario. Due to the sheer output and resulting heat given the size. Can these prove dangerous if not paid respect? I am amazed at the output given the size, but the current, heat worries me. As you all know this output claim is for real as well. I just wonder if it can prove dangerous. I mean 45 seconds not very useful to me. Push to 5 minutes, asking for it? Don't mean to be stupid. These seem incredible but not sure it is for me. Plus I really want something that runs on primaries and I do not think he has one? Thanks

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm by no means an expert, but I've owned a few of their flashlights. As long as you untwist the head of the flashlight sufficiently, you shouldn't run into any issues with accidental activation. I also spoke on the phone with Bob once, and he told me that heat isn't an issue with their 10280 flashlights because the battery will run dry before it ever overheats. However, I suspect that this is not the case with their CR2 flashlights. I had a Micro Lux Dragon CR2 Flashlight and it quickly heat up. It definitely is a flashlight that should not be used by someone who doesn't appreciate the merits of battery safety. I'd say five minutes might be pushing it. You want to run the high setting only for short bursts. You are correct that TnC doesn't have a flashlight that uses primaries except for their C-Cell flashlight.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'm not an expert like the persons here with thousands of posts.

I'd use a light that runs on Alkaline, not lithium. But of course you'd be ok to switch those out with lithium AAA's or lithium AA's.

The other type of lights that run on CR2 type batteries can indeed get very hot. One got very hot in my right pocket and that sure taught me a lesson.

I don't want to leave one of these lights on accidentally in the case where I keep it.

The Battery Forum here might be able to offer you better advice. Maybe you can ask a Moderator to switch your post into that Forum.

Let's hear what others have to say.

nitebrite

Enlightened
TBH I am just worried because once my pants started on fire! Got 2nd and 3rd degree burn. Sucked bad. As long as his should not accidentally engage with sufficient untwist. It was a custom I won't mention. It was untwisted plenty and all the sudden engaged. That kind of sucks. I am concerned about heat on a CR2 that small putting out several thousand lumens. Otherwise I am very interested in one. The difference in the Dominator UDX of course is it will run 2+ hours at max. A little bit bigger heat not an issue of course then.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Maybe the answer is custom designing a container for your light, or any of the other real hot ones you own, so you can have protection in the event of unintended accidental engagement, one with a belt loop on the back of it perhaps. Or maybe the other option is to learn to value lights with less lumens that don't get as hot and I say that with sincere respect to you.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I have many with reasonable lumens. I agree. Really because 45 seconds is not useful to me. Need 5-10 minutes. Thing would be fried. That is why I carry the Dominator UDR Since I do not need my 2,800Lm light to be tiny but I do need runtime. I just got a photon fanatic killer for my key chain and it is fine. To me different lights serve different purposes and I would never be with just one on me. The TNC I think is more for the wow factor? I would value a quality light that size like 400Lm should be reasonable. Or maybe that will get boiling too. Since Titan plus gets pretty warm. Well I think I will just get this for collection but not really a user. I know some hate that but It is honestly first time I would do that. LTB, I appreciate you qualified you were not mocking me because without that I would have felt insulted I guess. I mean I know my way around a flashlight by now. TNC is for burst not runtime. Then it should be fine.