How has your Emisar D4 or D1 held up after 4-12 months of regular use?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that the Emisar D4 has been out for about a year, I wanted to ask people who've owned them for at least 4+ months, and used them regularly(carried them daily), how well they have held up? Feel free to copy/paste and just fill in answers. Thanks.

1. How mechanically durable is the switch?

2. Does the switch consistently work without 'misfires' that require extra clicks?

3. Have the electronics held up, without losing any brightness settings etc?

4. Is the UI convenient and easy to use?

5. Has its anodizing held up pretty well to wear?

6. What's its overall beam profile(pure flood or happy medium)?

7. Do you like it's beam tint?

8. Any other issues or concerns(overheating or anything else)?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one d4 with a quirky switch that doesn't turn the light off sometimes. I really can't speak to the usage though since I have one for every month of the year, so none of them has been abused. Other than that I'm loving every one of them. The d4 is floodier than I prefer but the d1 handles that task better

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Switches on my two D4's have held up with no issues for 7-8 months. I can't speak to the precise type of switch they use; it feels like a snap-dome membranse switch, which I recall having a lifespan of around a million clicks, although it could be a micro snap-action switch which tends to be a bit more durable.

Any "switch issues" mine have had are user faults.

The UI is both good and bad. Click on, click off. Hold to ramp. Double click to turbo, double click back to the last ramp level. From off... Three clicks to do battery voltage check ... Four clicks for "tactical" momentary mode on turbo ... Six clicks to lockout. I've not messed with thermal config.

Quibbles with the UI ... mess up the jump to turn while in stepped mode and turbo becomes the stepped mode. Timing multi clicks is somewhat demanding. Mode memory in my usage is not something that endures for long due to the usage.

Anodizing is serviceable. It's no Hard Anodizing and there are a number of sharp edges so that finish will wear with use.

Beam profile on the stock optic has what I feel is a nice balance between reflectors with their discrete separation between hotspot/spill and so many TIR optixs imaging the die with almost zero spill. There's a soft/wide hotspot that falls off semi uniformly to spill that's perhaps dimmer than most reflectors.

Tint with the 4000K XP-L HI option is pretty fantastic in my opinion.

The D4 is the epitome of the pocket rocket: turbo for perhaps 20 seconds but otherwise it's a ~400 lumen light most of the time, like pretty much everything else in it's size class. The discrete blink ramping up and down takes a little getting used to: that's the driver switching from full regulation (low output) to partial regulation (high output).

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a D4 Ti — strong like a panzer construction and no issues with anodizing (obviously).

There are two moments with the UI that are not so nice:

1. While ramping is sometimes blinks;
2. If you are not fast enough while trying to switch it off, it starts ramping instead of off.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
the switch is a rubber side switch, and it is feasible one could tear or puncture it, then a replacement rubber cover would be difficult to come by.

the beam pattern is a little too floody with many waisted lumens that go beyond 100° and aren't noticeable unless outside or ceiling bouncing. floodier optic may be better, or reflector.

anodizing is great.

the cracks on the bat tube are too wide, so much so that dirt gets into the crack there and stays there, muddying up the O-ring, possibly reducing water resistance. wish those were thinner. wish it had a strobe.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
1. How mechanically durable is the switch? still works as wonder

2. Does the switch consistently work without 'misfires' that require extra clicks? yepp.

3. Have the electronics held up, without losing any brightness settings etc? i think so still as bright as hell.

4. Is the UI convenient and easy to use? ramping is very fun and easy to use yea

5. Has its anodizing held up pretty well to wear? my green has almost no flaws as i am very careful of my lights.

6. What's its overall beam profile(pure flood or happy medium)? something between i didnt chose flood optics, xpg3 emitters.

7. Do you like it's beam tint? well yes, its the 5700k version but i wish i got the 4000k now that i think of it and the green color is no longe able to buy :(

8. Any other issues or concerns(overheating or anything else)? not really, the light gets hot very quick but i knew that before buying.

Ive had my d4 green since december last year, still works as wonder and looks as new almost.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the components are discrete, and could be replaced if there were a problem, or if you change your mind, and have a decent soldering iron, rosin core solder, a small Phillips head screw driver, and some thermal grease, and an internet connection to read the various guides
There have been no problems, but I have changed my mind.
These are awesome lights.

The UI is nice, once you learn how it works.
As for tint, I ordered the wrong tint, replaced it with a custom quad from Mountain Electronics that isn't available as a pre built option, and it's 3000K of HCRI, quad perfection.
Took about 10 minutes because I'm so slow and shaky.

Last edited:

Latest posts