"Review" Nitecore SC4 (4 Slot multichemistry smart charger with LCD display)

Budda

Enlightened
"Review" Nitecore SC4 (4 Slot multichemistry smart charger with LCD display)

I received the Nitecore SC4 for the review from Nitecore.
While I think I can provide some useful information about flashlights from a technical point of view, when it comes to chargers, I have very little knowledge. So what I can do is give you my thoughts as a flashlight user, maybe with a few years of flashlight passion on my shoulders.

The SC4 is a multi chemistry smart charger with LCD display from Nitecore with a USB port with an 2.1 A output.

The SC4 comes in this box.
Nitecore_SC4_01.jpg

Inside the box there are the SC4, manual and power cable (Standard C7 plug).
Nitecore_SC4_02.jpg

Right from the start, I thought it looked like an updated version of the well known Nitecore D4 charger.
And that wouldn't be a wrong statement, as you can still see the type of cell inserted, charging current, charging status, voltage of the battery, charging time, mAh charged, but also
- Select the current from 300 mA to 3000mA (the latter only in one slot) with 100mA increments for each slot,
- Receive an overall indication (Good/Poor) of the status of the battery, based on a quick measure of the internal resistance,
- Recover Over discharged li ion cells with a dedicated program,
- Select witch li ion chemistry are you using (3.7, 4.2, 4.3 Volts),

All this can be done using the C and the V buttons that are under the screen.
Well, not only Nitecore added more functions, but also made took great care in the design and animation of the LCD display.
To make justice to that I made a simple video showing the animations and going through some operations (changing current, viewing information… for detailed instructions refer to the SC4 manual).

All the digits and animations are clear and sharp, and the viewing angle is good from all directions. The display on the SC4 will automatically turn off after 3 minutes of inactivity.

The contact points are raised dots for both poles so you can charge flat and button top cells.
Nitecore_SC4_03.jpg

As far as real use, the SC4 offers more functions than other chargers and so, but it isn't overly complicated and, with only 2 switches, it is simple to get ahold of the basic functions very quickly.

Nitecore states that the charger is able to automatically set the current charge at 500mA for Nimh cells, while for li ion, states that batteries with less than 1200mAh the standard current will be 500mA, and 2000mA for cells bigger than 1200mAh.
Now, sorting the battery chemistry between nimh and li ion is a no brainer for the charger, but for the li ion cell capacity? I believe the SC4 resorts on the measure of internal resistance of the battery.
Note that for non IMR li ion cells, it is commonly accepted 0.5 C as standard charging current.
Although the default li ion slower charge at 500mA is fine (maybe a bit on the high side) for most cells, even small ones (like RCR, 14500…), the other default faster one of 2000mA could be too much for some kind of batteries like 17670 or non IMR 18650 with low capacity.
In reality, this things really depend on your batteries. If you don't have small (10440) or IMR 18650 with low capacity old cells, the automatic setting can work fine… and in both cases you can still set your charging current for each slot with a few clicks.
I guess that a fast standard charging current could have been in the 1200mA range, but given the increasing market of IMR and hybrid li ion cells, more people will benefit of the 2000mA standard current, resulting in cells being chargerd faster.
As far as fasting charge, the 3000mA available on one port will surely come in handy for charging bigger cells like 26650.
I like the 2.1 Amps USB port on all electronic devices. Sometimes even us flashaholics find ourselves charging our smartphones and so more often than our flashlight batteries.
I like that the SC4 has an integrated power adapter and so uses a standard, non proprietary C7 cable.
I like that is also available, although as an accessory, the 12V car adapter.

Thanks to Antoled for the camera help.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Review" Nitecore SC4 (4 Slot multichemistry smart charger with LCD display)

[...] Nitecore states that the charger is able to automatically set the current charge at 500mA for Nimh cells, while for li ion, states that batteries with less than 1200mAh the standard current will be 500mA, and 2000mA for cells bigger than 1200mAh.

Beware that Nitecore has a history of misleading marketing hype about "intelligent software" that automatically sets current based on capacity and chemistry (e.g. the SC2). No charger can automatically detect capacity (w/o an actual capacity test). Some may use heuristics (e.g. based on detected cell length and/or IR testing, etc), but such self-driving modes are usually (highly) non-optimal and/or possibly dangerous in some cases. So be very careful with such.

Where did you find the quoted claim? I don't see it on Nitecore's SC4 product page. But there is something similar on the Amazon product page, namely

INTELLIGENT CHARGING - Automatic intelligent charging detects your battery type and capacity, then selects the appropriate current based on battery type to optimize recharge speeds

Alas, the SC4 is a downgrade from the SC2 since the SC2 has
"Active Charging with Infinite Intelligence" but the SC4 lacks the "infinite intelliigence" feature.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Review" Nitecore SC4 (4 Slot multichemistry smart charger with LCD display)

Also beware that the Nitecore SC4 is reported to have a serious safety defect. According to the Amazon review Could be deadly if charging LFP cells... by Matt, if you are charging LifeP04 cells and the power is interrupted then it automatically restarts charging them in the default Li-ion mode - which is far overvoltage. While LIFeP04 is more tolerant of such than Li-ion, they can certainly vent with flame if overcharged this way. How is that "intelligent charging"?

This problem with power-failure restarts in different modes is a common safety issue in poorly designed chargers. Unfortunately safety tests are rarely performed by reviewers, so exercise abundant caution.

@Budda Thanks for the photo. So they are making similar claims for the SC4, but they are in photos (vs specs) now (you have to click through the thumbnails to the 3rd photo to find that claim on the product page).

Last edited:

klrman

Newly Enlightened

Gauss163, would you know of any other charger that goes back to default if the power is interrupted? I haven't checked my SkyRC MC3000 yet, but I think if the power cuts and comes on again, it goes to standby mode waiting for input from the user, but need to test tonight to make sure.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nitecore's info about detecting the battery capacity is misleading. It's a simple mechanical contact. If the battery is longer than a 14500, the default is 2000mA. If it's 14500 or less, it's 500mA.

Also, note that there are only two channels for charging. Slots 1&3 are shared, as are slots 2&4. So if you want to charge at full speed, you can only use two slots at a time. Otherwise, the channel effectively halves the charge rate in each of its slots. I don't really find that a problem, since if I want to charge 4 cells, I'll just double the charge rate I really want. The default 2000mA works out pretty well if you're charging 4 cells (you get an effective 1000mA charge). But it's a bit quirky if you don't understand how it works.

I've only ever used the 3000mA charge rate a couple of times, and IMO it's not that much quicker than normal. Once the slot enters the CV phase of charging, things slow down (as they should). The last 10% of the charge can take a half-hour or so, just by itself. So, 3A really just fast-charges up to around 80%.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

@klrman If memory serves correct there are at least a handful of popular chargers that have been reported to have this power loss / outtage restart safety issue. But I didn't have much luck locating these reports with a quick Google search. That turned up only this XTAR DRAGON VP4 review, where the reviewer remarks
I experienced a brief mains power outage, which was enough to change the charging rate from 0.5A to 1A. XTAR need to change the default charging rate to 0.5A in future revisions
Iirc there is at least one report of this "feature" causing a fire or explosion with a popular charger. If I can jog my memory I will report back.

Last edited:

klrman

Newly Enlightened

That is good info Gauss163, thanks. I never even thought about a power interruption until I came upon this thread. I'm going to plug my mc3000 into a power bar that I have that has an on off switch and see if it goes to standby mode or not when I switch the power back on.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess it's both good and bad. Bad if you're using LiFePO4 cells. Good if you're using a solar setup with regular lithium-ion cells, or just have an unreliable electrical grid.

IMO, I'd rather have a default charge start on power-up, so it can work with intermittent power. But, I admit I don't use LiFePO4 cells, so safety with those cells is unimportant to me. If you're worried about that, then just don't use this charger for LiFePO4 cells, or at least do LiFePO4 charging while you're around (which you should anyway).

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^^ That's still problematic if you had it set to very low current to charge some tiny cells, and it restarts at the default (much higher rate) - as in the VP4 review.

Ideally such behavior should be user configurable. If not, it should always be safe under all normal usage conditions.

Budda

Enlightened

Really, there is no "ideally".
If I end up having to set that, it means that every time i charge a cell, I have to press something.
which is what my MC3000 requires, and it is what makes me use it less than other slower chargers that do everything in automatic.
Every configuration has its pro and cons.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really, there is no "ideally". If I end up having to set that, it means that every time i charge a cell, I have to press something..

But you'll still have all your fingers attached to press those buttons. Compromising safety to save a couple button presses extremely poor design.

And while 'really there may be no ideally', ideally I would like all my fingers to stay attached along with gauss163. Sounds like the MC3000 DOES HAVE the right safety feature.

But you'll still have all your fingers attached to press those buttons. Compromising safety to save a couple button presses extremely poor design.

klrman

Newly Enlightened

Can confirm that the MC3000 does go back to standby waiting for user input when power is interrupted whilst charging as I just tested it. Tested it several times and it always goes back to standby which for me at least is a good thing and what I would want a charger to do.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you really want to stay safe, don't use lithium-ion cells at all. But if you're using lithium-ion, a small increase in risk for a large increase in convenience (from your charger defaults) is a reasonable compromise. After all, you're already making that compromise by using lithium-ion in the first place.

IMO, you should be around to watch the charger anyway, so if the power goes out and things reset to a default that might be dangerous, you'll know about it. If you're really worried about power interruptions, just plug it into a UPS along with your router and wifi that you already use a UPS for. Risk from charger defaults goes back to practically zero.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^^ The risk vs. convenience decision should be made by the end user - not by the manufacturer. In this case users who are not informed are possibly being exposed to risks that they may not be aware of and which they would not consider acceptable. To add insult to (possible) injury, Nitecore has the chutzpah to deem their chargers "infinitely intelligent" when - in fact - they are quite the opposite.

In any case, it is trivial to fix this bug. The fact that it continues to exist in many popular low-end chargers highlights just how little these companies care about safety, or how poorly-trained their engineers are, or (likely) both.

Alas, the best we can do in response is to educate others about these issues so that they have available the requisite safety knowledge to decide wisely.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

It may be trivially easy to fix in the design. You could simply add a mechanical slider switch that change the default along the lines of:

2000mA 4.2v
500mA 4.2v
500mA 3.6v
Start in standby

But, has any manufacturing actually done it? The fact that zero or very few have bothered, leads me to believe that most users either wouldn't understand it or wouldn't use it. And those are the same users than would most likely benefit from it (newbies).

Sure, it would be nice for manufacturers to make things completely idiot-proof. But, beyond a certain amount, that just leads to worse usability.

I wouldn't disregard a charger just because some weird combination of events could lead to a dangerous situation. You get that from just about every tool in modern-day life.

If people want to minimize the danger in charging, all they need to do is follow one simple rule: keep an eye on it when charging.

You don't turn the oven on and leave the house (well, you shouldn't). You shouldn't do it with charging, either.

klrman

Newly Enlightened

I have now two mc3000's because some of the things I like about it and knowing it goes to standby during power cuts is another good reason for me to have it. The fact is, many end users can't be bothered hanging around their chargers whilst charging, so why not have a little extra safety built in, I'm all for it. Nothing is 100% safe anyway, but a little extra safety in regards to charging should be encouraged.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like that charging happens automatically. But, yeah, I wish the Nitecore SC4 used a lower charge rate as default. I usually end up turning down the charge rate to somewhere between 500mA and 1000mA, depending on the cells I'm charging.

So, I end up pressing a lot more buttons than I would like to.

My Liitokala Li-500 charger uses a very nice default charge rate of 500mA. And, it's a lot quicker to change the charge rate to something higher if I want it. But, there's less room for cells (side-by-side space is a lot tighter) which makes removing cells slightly more difficult than the Nitecore, so I usually just use it for analysing.

Bottom line: there's no perfect charger. Everything is give-and-take.

Okay, I have a couple of Xtar MC1 chargers. Those are great for single cells. 500mA charge, and dead-easy to use. Zero feedback except a green light when done, though. I prefer a little geek-factor with my chargers.

klrman

Newly Enlightened

Yep, no such thing as a perfect charger!