HDS Systems        
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

It's good to know the clip issue seems to be just a couple of isolated incidents. Still wish it came with a split-ring setup, like the SC600's. If they add that in a future update, it might be really hard for me to pass on this light.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    It's good to know the clip issue seems to be just a couple of isolated incidents. Still wish it came with a split-ring setup, like the SC600's. If they add that in a future update, it might be really hard for me to pass on this light.
    Since the printed instructions make no mention of the G5, 6, 7 modes, I had to go to the product page to look that up again. While there, I noticed they state "Lanyard ring". That's obviously a cut/paste error. I don't mind either way, but on a light of this size I think it would have made sense.
    GOOD TINT!

Zebralight is simply lazy and didnít print new manuals for more than a year now.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.
    🦓🔦

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    Zebralight is simply lazy and didnít print new manuals for more than a year now.
    Agreed. They also lazily copy & paste the descriptions on their web site. For example, if you look at the lumen specs for the SC600w MkIV HI and the (regular) SC600w MkIV, they have the exact same specs for every mode. That is clearly an error, since the XHP35 HI emitter has lower output than the XHP35 HD. That's why you see so many people complain they're not getting 1400 lumens out the SC600w HI.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Ohh, I just went into the mail room and it's been sitting there! Sorry for being a b**** again.

Anyway, after a quick check:

- Good anodizing (the lighter color as expected)
    - Smooth threads
    - Clip fits well
    - Good tint. As good as this 70.2 will get I assume. The usual yellowish when held parallel with a surface, but nice in general. Same as my other two 700d's as I recall.
    - Switch is quiet but nice and clicky/firm.

So I'm finally done here and can't complain. ZL must be thinking "Please, are we square now?"
    Most excellent!

Glad you got your light, sir!

The anodizing on mine is fairly dark. It falls somewhere in the middle of my ZL anodizing rainbow.
    If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

So I wonder how many SC700s went out with the defective clip groove? I'm assuming it was a dull or broken cutter during the CNC process?

It actually wouldn't bother me as much since I would never use the clip on a light that big, but I would want a split-ring to attach a tritium glow marker or perhaps a lanyard.

One more reason to skip this one... I'm pretty happy with my SC600IV Plus... I would be very curious to see the beam profile from a SC700 with a smaller emitter.

Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    So I wonder how many SC700s went out with the defective clip groove? I'm assuming it was a dull or broken cutter during the CNC process?

A lot of times when I've had a groove insert break/chip on me, the finish is awful; it leaves lines, marks, little baby grooves within the groove.

I'm wondering if it was when someone put in a new insert and didn't check the first part off. What I've seen happen is that a tool holder (it holds the insert) can move little by little over time as parts are made. The operator/machinist can adjust their offsets to compensate for this drift as they notice it over time. Many programs utilize tool-life alarms, that tell the worker to change the tool insert, because it's nearing the end of it's expected life. The X offset (depth) is zeroed out, tool holder is taken out, a new insert is placed in, and the tool is touched off to get it into the right position. Since the tool holder had drifted, it is in a different place now than when it was taken out. If the Z offset (width of groove) is not also set back to its original place, the groove can be the wrong size.

I'm curious as to what actually happened. Also, I would love to see these beauties being machined!
    Last edited by burntoshine; 02-12-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by likethevegetable View Post
    I never understood why throw is so important to people... 95% of the time I'm looking at something less than 20 m away. I find a bright hotspot makes me nauseous when walking.

The only time I want throw is for fun to look at something across the river, or very rarely a deer or owl.

Unless you're on a boat, hunting, or searching for something far away, I think a floody light is superior (if you had to choose only 1 light).

Change my mind
    I'll bite; for discussion purposes, let's consider three focal regions: working, walking, and searching, say..

Working; less than 5m, where a head-mounted light works best. 1000 lumens is plenty, unless you're trying to see under car seats in broad daylight. ZebraLight shines brightest here, [pun intended] with their epic 80 degree spill-cone

Walking at night; 5m to 15m, where you don't want to step into a hole, but you also don't want to be blinded as you would be holding a 4,000 lm light bulb. Given said spills for Working & Searching; I guesstimate a 72 degree spill cone here ~ ymmv

Searching; 15m++ where you want to pump as many lumens as possible into the hot-spot for maximum range. For example, my oLight SR52-UT throws out to 800 meters with a reasonable 64 degree spill-cone that doesn't compromise my night adapted vision

If you're limited to one light, make it EDC'able; the best light is the one you have..

Most people won't EDC a walking or search light, so, yes; EDC's are best floody

To be clear, we're talking about larger, secondary, flashlights here; our big guns.

Thus, every non-EDC'able light I consider *must* have a reduced spill cone ==> and, sadly, very few of them do

Although all of us qualify EDC differently, I firmly assert that there's no justification for a secondary light to be floody. Subsequently, when I'm reaching for my big-guns, the SC700d doesn't work for me

Fwiw, I EDC an ancient ZL SC600 in my pocket, pack an OL SR52 in my car, and I'm currently shopping for a walking light. The SC700d came really close :-(
    Last edited by WmArnold1; 02-13-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Unenlightened

How much heat does the zebra light generate? I would operate it in extreme cold like -20f but canít have it react to very cold. Meaning if itís at -20f and I turn it on - is the lens going to crack?

Mine is supposed to arrive next Tuesday. Wrote Zebralight yesterday, heard back today. They said their online PDF manual should be updated by the end of next week.

My replacement for the defective light arrived today. The button assembly is off-center, just like my other '700d. Not really a concern, but it would look better if it was properly centered. And there's what appears to be a blob of solder on one of the brass screws next to the LED. I might post a picture or two later. Non of my other Zebralights have any extra (unwanted) material in the heads, yet BOTH of my SC700d lights do. While I love the lights, it's a bit aggravating that I can't seem to get one that looks clean. I received three lights and all of them have noticeable flaws. If your employees can't produce professional looking products, then you either need to retrain, or find better employees.

Edit: It may be a burr on the reflector that I'm seeing. It's difficult to tell. Well, at least I have an easy way to tell my two '700s apart from each other; by the two different reflector burrs.

Edit: It was not my intention to be a debbie-downer. I may be a little more picky than the average person. Any flaw, no matter how small, always sticks out to me. One of the burrs is very easy to miss, the burr on the other light is kinda-sorta easy to miss, I suppose. Yet I just can't help but to think that someone could have knocked off the burr in both cases in a few seconds, and then they wouldn't be trapped under glass, staring up at me every day.

I think I may have mentioned this earlier, but it's worth repeating: Exactly three layers of your typical clear packaging tape around the battery (Samsung 40T) is perfect, in my opinion, to alleviate battery rattle. Don't let the last layer of tape end past or all the way up to where you started with the first layer, because that would make it four layers at that point. The three layers of tape create the perfect seal; the battery slides out slowly, but with ease.

Great gosh darn flashlight! I'm very glad I bought two.
    Last edited by burntoshine; 02-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Ericbc7 View Post
    How much heat does the zebra light generate? I would operate it in extreme cold like -20f but canít have it react to very cold. Meaning if itís at -20f and I turn it on - is the lens going to crack?
    I've used Zebralights down to about -25C, or -13F. Never had a problem with heat. The issue is sometimes the battery is too cold to get the light on max when it starts up, but a second try fixes that. At those temperatures, it never heats up to the point where thermal regulation kicks in. At most the light might get slightly warm to the touch, when running on max for a few minutes.

At -20F, your biggest issue will be your lithium-ion battery. It will work, but you'll get much lower run-times. Keep a spare cell in your pocket, if you need to run the light for a long period of time.

BTW, I've never had cold crack the lens on any lights, even the lights that are clearly "heaters" such as the Astrolux S43.

Flashaholic

I've been concerned about, but never encountered a cracked lens due to cold. I've cranked my SC600w IV Plus to H1 at -30įC and it was okay. Noticed some condensation in the middle but it went away after spending some time indoors.
    Right-angle is the right angle!

Quote Originally Posted by burntoshine View Post
    And there's what appears to be a blob of solder on one of the brass screws next to the LED.
    That's intentional. Other current models also have this.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    That's intentional. Other current models also have this.
    After googling and finding some images of ZL boards with the lens and reflector taken out, I think I see what you mean. Although, one of my lights has an actual burr or something hair-like sticking to the reflector, that's not supposed to be there. The other one could be solder, but it's difficult to tell. Either way, it's not supposed to be in view once the reflector is installed. I was first thinking that the solder blob, if that's what it is, was just dropped there by accident because someone was being sloppy, and didn't clean it up. But if it's supposed to be there and just a little bit spilled over into view, that's totally fine. It just looks sloppy when looking in from the top.

Thank you for the post! I appreciate it.

The online PDF manual now appears to be updated:

http://www.zebralight.com/SC700d-217...ght_p_233.html

Scroll down on page. Says ď2019Ē in title once downloaded. Thanks Zebralight tech support!

Now if only we could get some current (or even present) runtimes to go with the lumens, and preferably specifying which battery they're testing with, like they used to do.

But, hey, they've got button centering issues to fix first. (I jest, I jest... it is, simultaneously, a bargain AND a pretty expensive-to-mortals light)

Flashaholic*

ZebraLight 1: Hey that Mark guy wants another light already.
    ZebraLight 2: He must have pointy hair, send him that defective one you pulled of the line yesterday.
    ZebraLight 1: OK, but we shouldn't waste time and shipping one him.
    ZebraLight 2: I know, but it's just too much fun until I get the chance to really kick his butt.
    ZebraLight 1: it might be fun to send him a keychain light.
    ZebraLight 2: maybe next time, you know after his meds he'll be back again.

Quote Originally Posted by StandardBattery View Post
    ZebraLight 2: maybe next time, you know after his meds he'll be back again.
    Back on my meds. Money ready for the C3.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Back on my meds. Money ready for the C3.
    Ha. If you think they're ever going to release the C3, you need stronger meds!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Ha. If you think they're ever going to release the C3, you need stronger meds!
    Good point
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Good point
    I asked them about the C3 when I asked if they would be producing a Sc700 in CW, they said no to the cool white version of Sc700, and stated "We still don't have any production plans for the C3 yet."

Iím sick of the blue tint of mine, Iíll send it back.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.
    🦓🔦

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    Iím sick of the blue tint of mine, Iíll send it back.
    Filters are your friends. Like just about every ZL I've ever gotten, a 1/2 minus green cleaned up the SC700d quite nicely, and being Hi CRI, it's now got quite a lovely beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    Filters are your friends. Like just about every ZL I've ever gotten, a 1/2 minus green cleaned up the SC700d quite nicely, and being Hi CRI, it's now got quite a lovely beam.
    Still no runtimes on the SC700d

• Light Output (runtimes)
      • High: H1 3000 Lm (PID, approx. hours) or H2 1458 Lm (PID, approx. hours)/945 Lm (PID, approx. hours)/583 Lm (hours)
      • Medium: M1 192 Lm (hours) or M2 52 Lm (hours)/25.2 Lm (days)/11.6 Lm (days)
      • Low: L1 2.1 Lm (days) or L2 0.32 Lm (month)/0.12 Lm (months)/0.04 Lm (months)
      • Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
    • Light Output (runtimes)
      • High: H1 3000 Lm (PID, approx. hours) or H2 1458 Lm (PID, approx. hours)/945 Lm (PID, approx. hours)/583 Lm (hours)
      • Medium: M1 192 Lm (hours) or M2 52 Lm (hours)/25.2 Lm (days)/11.6 Lm (days)
      • Low: L1 2.1 Lm (days) or L2 0.32 Lm (month)/0.12 Lm (months)/0.04 Lm (months)
      • Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1

What is this post supposed to show?
    Without a quote,I am unsure it's context...

It shows an incomplete chart of run times . Only outputs and no specific times......?

I will take it upon myself to do a runtime test. Starting with the 0.04lm mode right...now!
    GOOD TINT!

Lol mark... I look forward to that result in a month or two.....!

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    Lol mark... I look forward to that result in a month or two.....!

Or four.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627 LastLast