Prometheus        
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

Default Re: Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    I was initially all over the SC700d but ended up not ordering one because it is IMHO just too large to conveniently EDC it.
    What I would like to see is a "SC70d", i.e. a SC64-alike as-small-as-they-can-make-it 21700 Zebralight (in high CRI, of course).
    I'd love a SC70w HI with xhp35 HI and small form factor. The SC700d head is too big for EDC

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by anthon87 View Post
    I'd love a SC70w HI with xhp35 HI and small form factor. The SC700d head is too big for EDC
    It's called the SC600w HI.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    It's called the SC600w HI.
    Except that the SC600W canít use 21700 cells

Oh, man, I wish you had posted that earlier. I got out a hammer and got a 21700 to fit in my SC600, but the acid and sparks made a terrible mess. The fire fighters were very nice.

Enlightened

Hi everyone !

I don't post often, but after reading the thread, I finally bought one from NKON along with a 5000mAh 10A Keepower 21700 battery. I really liked it from the start because it is well proportioned, beautiful, extremely well designed and assembled. Yes it is powerful, but I bought an Eagletac TX3G Pro last year which was even more powerful. I returned it because it felt cheap and uncomfortable to use !

So yes it is what I wanted it to be : Pure Zebralight simplicity and refinement but this time with a perfect size and 3000 lumens.

The Keepower battery fits perfectly, doesn't rattle that much (I have to shake, then it moves) and seems to handle the load perfectly. It also seems to have a regular top button instead of the recessed one in the Samsung 50E (Yet, the keepower could be a rebranded 50E. Does anyone know which cell is in it ?)

Thank you for all the information that helped me for this new acquisition !
    Last edited by Kivatch; 05-23-2019 at 06:55 AM.

I don't think the Keepower is a rebranded big brand cell; last I read pointed to one of the better Chinese manufacturers.

I have a 50E plus the 40T from ZL, and am waiting for the 50E2 to show up somewhere other than Mooch's review. Not that I need one; I don't use the light that much. I do love it, though. After so many of basically the same two 18650 lights with various options, this is really something new aesthetically as well as a big technology step up with the huge LED and bigger battery. I'm glad they didn't try to shoehorn it into a minimum-size case with a smaller reflector and no heat capacity.

At the start of this thread people were saying there's no way the XHP70 would be good in a torch, and someone else sarcastically saying "don't argue, it's a cult." Well, ZL made a very nice XHP70 torch It's a good cult.

Enlightened

A good cult indeed. The number one reason why I keep buying these flashlights is the design. There is no sharp edges or agressive looking cooling fins, they look sophisticated and I like that !

SC700fd shows as in stock now

Anyone bite yet? I think the SC700d is pretty floody.....? My compulsive side wants it just because.. Then again I want a convoy S21A just because

http://www.zebralight.com/SC700Fd-21700-XHP702-Floody-Neutral-White-High-CRI-Flashlight_p_240.html

I have two question about the SC700d.

Would it not work with protected cells? The recommended battery the samsung 40T is 70.3mm long. I found the Acebeam 21700 5100mAh in the same length, any reason it wouldn't work well? I thought normally flashlights that specified unprotected cells were designed for the slightly shorter battery lengths.

A pogo pin flashlights generally considered less durable than flashlights with dual springs (one for each end of the battery)?

I had serious reliability problems with a few flashlights that had a single spring (on one end of the battery). They'd get unreliable.. my theory is that a drop caused the battery to smack the circuit board enough to crack it. I used to buy 100% fenix, but got tired of flashlights that wouldn't tail stand and they seem to be moving away from springs to pogo pins.

What do you think?

Flashaholic

Zebraligt is using Pogo Pins because of the high current demand in the new models - several Pogo Pins have a lower resistance than a spring. The 700er Flashlights even have Beryllium Copper springs in the pins - better electrical conductivity. The fact that Pogo Pins require an exact length of the battery is one of the requirements for an unprotected cell - protected ones vary too much in length. Two more reasons: Unprotected ones usually allow higher currents, and because unprotected ones are shorter, the flashlight itself may be shorter as well. Due to the high quality of the Zebralight circuit incl. internal protection, I do not see a requirement for an extra protection in the cell. Of course, this is only true because Zebras are single cell flashlights - a setup with several cells in series would always require protected cells.

Regarding reliability, I haven't heard about pin issues in the Zebralights except from the very first Pogo models.

The Acebeam 21700 is 74.8 mm long, I assume your source has just measured the base cell and made a mistake there. Look at the data sheet: http://acebeam.com/download/sample/11102

Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    I have two question about the SC700d.

Would it not work with protected cells? The recommended battery the samsung 40T is 70.3mm long. I found the Acebeam 21700 5100mAh in the same length, any reason it wouldn't work well? I thought normally flashlights that specified unprotected cells were designed for the slightly shorter battery lengths.

A pogo pin flashlights generally considered less durable than flashlights with dual springs (one for each end of the battery)?

I had serious reliability problems with a few flashlights that had a single spring (on one end of the battery). They'd get unreliable.. my theory is that a drop caused the battery to smack the circuit board enough to crack it. I used to buy 100% fenix, but got tired of flashlights that wouldn't tail stand and they seem to be moving away from springs to pogo pins.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by oeL View Post
    Zebraligt is using Pogo Pins because of the high current demand in the new models - several Pogo Pins have a lower resistance than a spring. The 700er Flashlights even have Beryllium Copper springs in the pins - better electrical conductivity. The fact that Pogo Pins require an exact length of the battery is one of the requirements for an unprotected cell - protected ones vary too much in length. Two more reasons: Unprotected ones usually allow higher currents, and because unprotected ones are shorter, the flashlight itself may be shorter as well. Due to the high quality of the Zebralight circuit incl. internal protection, I do not see a requirement for an extra protection in the cell. Of course, this is only true because Zebras are single cell flashlights - a setup with several cells in series would always require protected cells.

Regarding reliability, I haven't heard about pin issues in the Zebralights except from the very first Pogo models.

The Acebeam 21700 is 74.8 mm long, I assume your source has just measured the base cell and made a mistake there. Look at the data sheet: http://acebeam.com/download/sample/11102
    Thanks for the correction, great answer, thanks, I really appreciate it.

I'm just a bit wary of having unprotected cells around the house, in multiple devices, in chargers, etc. Just paranoid I guess.

I've had no problems with it with my Manker U11 (18650 based) flashlight so far. I was hoping for something 21700 based and not too much larger. I'm often biking or tracking my black dog at night (or both) and often have my flashlight in the 500-1000 lumen range.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    I'm just a bit wary of having unprotected cells around the house, in multiple devices, in chargers, etc. Just paranoid I guess.
    What is it that a protected cell is doing for you that makes you think it is more safe? In some ways, a protected cell is less safe than an unprotected cell, because you have a metal strip along the side of the cell that can short the cell (with all the bad consequences) if the wrapper is damaged.

Protection circuits don't protect you against internal shorts, or damage. They'll help prevent you from draining the cell too far (which is really only an issue with multi-cell lights), or overcharging the cell (which any decent charger doesn't do). You'll want to use a DMM to check the voltage anyway, regardless of whether you use protected or unprotected. The only other thing a protection circuit might do is stop a cell from an external short if you're carrying it around with a bunch of loose change or nails (don't do that!).

If you feel safer sticking with protected cells, by all means do that. Just be aware it may be a false sense of safety.

Protection batteries help protect against heat buildup, over current, over pressure, and over discharge. I personally have burned through nylon when a Fenix got triggered while in my pack. Not sure what Fenix has against tail standing and protected power buttons. Generally seems reasonable to have an extra level of protection above whatever is in the charger, flashlight, etc. Only the battery can know it's internal pressure, and the heat inside the LED, even if perfectly monitored is not the same as the temperature inside the battery.

My pack:
    http://photos.app.goo.gl/LBC9GKKtrN8LVTxv8
    Last edited by spikebike; 06-01-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Typical protected cells do not protect against over-temperature, just voltage and current. The battery itself (name brands anyway) has a one-time pressure disconnect. There is no overtemp protection unless you have external electronics beyond the usual protection circuit... like the flashlight board itself. Even a real BMS isn't going to know anything more than battery surface temperature (better than LED temp, sure) and even they don't tend to have a sensor per cell.

ZL current draw won't come anywhere near overheating a battery from amps unless something is seriously strange about the battery. Which, battery wise, is just good design. If you're risking overtemp from current rather than ambient conditions, then you really should choose a higher capacity cell or use more than one.

Emisars or other FETs with 15A turbo and LED temp sensing, well, they certainly could, but that's another topic. ZLs are "sensible" and practical. I like having both on the shelf.

Anyone have a D4S to compare it with? Which one do you like better?

Different beasts. The D4S is more fun, with the aux LEDs and advanced settings you can play with, plus the option of Anduril with candle mode and other fun stuff. It's bigger than the SC700, too, and the batteries will probably never be made by the big brands. Since most of my use is in the house, it gets plenty of use, but if I was going on a hike or something I'd probably take the ZL for the size and runtimes. If I was short on cash, I guess I'd just get the D4S.

From what I've been reading on CPF&BLF the SC700 uses *half* the amps to achieve the same 3k lumens .. so there's that. I have to admit the D4S is a lot of "fun" to play with, though.
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Flashaholic*

Yeah, Zebralights are amazingly efficient. Good boost drivers can do that. And regulated with constant output all the way down to an empty battery.

Lights that use FET drivers, like the Emissar and most budget lights, are impressive (and often brighter), but only while the battery is fully-charged. The battery depletes really fast when using FET drivers, and then the light output is just "meh".

But you pay double for a Zebralight, so there's that...

No one has picked up the 700fd yet?

Is it a light made to fill a non-existent need?
    My 700d is pretty floody already

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post

I think you're right.

I like my SC600Fd Mk IV .. I'm tempted to get a SC700Fd.

@justanotherguy A frosted lens is really nice for close range illumination, smoothes out the beam a lot more and corrects some of the ugly green tint in the corona of the XHP70.2 beam.
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    I like my SC600Fd Mk IV .. I'm tempted to get a SC700Fd.

@justanotherguy A frosted lens is really nice for close range illumination, smoothes out the beam a lot more and corrects some of the ugly green tint in the corona of the XHP70.2 beam.
    Kinda figured.. maybe I could tape my lens then, if I want to see what it's like.,.. $120+ isnt cheap to try it

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post

Someone did because they are no longer in stock.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StandardBattery View Post
    Someone did because they are no longer in stock.
    I ordered one when they were out of stock, but it took just a day to ship.

It's pretty much what you would expect, and no big surprises. I prefer it over the regular 700d for indoor use and even near-field outdoor use. The regular one does have more range, but not significantly when you consider usable range; although the extra candela on near objects can help sometimes. Overall I think I prefer the Fd version to the regular because neither is a light you want to use for throw, so I make the best of it with the great near-field view of the Fd. There is one caveat I have, see below. The H2 output is very close (slightly less) in practical terms to the H1 output of my 600Fd MkIII Plus.

In my testing the only thing I was not super happy about was that my Fd version has a 'slightly' cooler tint; so color wise I preferred the non Fd, and my 600 mkIIIFd outdoors. It was pretty slight, but I know what I like; i spend a lot of time with cameras and binoculars outdoors, and have a sense of what works well for my vision and sensibilities.

Bottom line:

Just what you'd expect from an Fd variant, and maybe a little surprising that in practical terns the range you give upon is not really that significant compared to the base 700d. If you want range you're not going to be using either of these lights.

In an indoor ceiling bounce test the Fd was a noticeable improvement.

Neither one replaces my 600Fd MkIII Plus as my EDC, but I will often carry one in my backpack as I do today, but now it is likely to be the F version more often.

Just for the record, I used an Samsung 40T in the Fd version, and a 50E in the 700d. I have not noticed any output differences between the cells.

This was a short test, so we'll see if living with them revels anything additional or adds some color to my thoughts and feelings.
    Last edited by StandardBattery; 07-04-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks for for fd input...
    I've got enough lights now that the ones that pique my interest don't fill any void.....
    I think I have..overlap saturation
    Last edited by justanotherguy; 07-02-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Anyone tested Sc700d/Fd color rendering and how much worse it is compared to SC600Fd? 1500 lumens is pretty much spot on for floody light because it is getting too bright on close range, if you want more range. SC600 can't maintain 1500 lumens much even if there is no temp issues, full battery runs out after about 30 minutes.

Nichia Optisolis LED probably is the best right now for color rendering, but power efficiency takes a hit. How much lower power LEDs can actually use if they can render same colors as incandescent? Seems that power goes up when color rendering improves.

SST20 95cri in an optics array is currently the best option on the market if you want a combination of throw/color rendering/output. A single XHP70.2 90 cri still might edge them out however when it comes to efficiency.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Auringonvalo View Post
    SC600 can't maintain 1500 lumens much even if there is no temp issues, full battery runs out after about 30 minutes.
    You need better batteries. I get over an hour at that level using a Samsung 30Q 18650 cell. (Prevented from overheating, with a strong cool breeze, to make sure PID isn't ramping it down due to heat.)

I have no idea where you got the idea that a SC600 would only last for 30 minutes. That's true of the SC600 Plus, but that's at 2300+ lumens (I measure it as a bit brighter than that).

I'd have no interest in a floody 700 since half the point for me was to see the huge LED in the reflector. I don't have any other XHP70. Biggest before that was an old Pocket Rocket with I think an SST-50 LED (6.5x8.44 vs 6.7x6.76, not sure about die area). I seem to spend as much time admiring the light when it's off as I do actually using it...

Flashaholic

Just curious if the size of the head bothers anybody? Obviously it is large for pocket carry, but feel in hand and aesthetics?

I'm holding out for w or c variant to replace my SC600w IV Plus in the future (now that I have an SC64w HI), but I don't know if I can get over the look. From the pics I've seen it just looks disproportionately weird to me.
    Right-angle is the right angle!

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930 LastLast