Dedicated light for boating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Wondering what you flashaholic boaters are using for navigation? Checked the archives and didn't find many recent threads.
I'm looking for something to take the place of those old Q-Beams I used in my duckhunting days when navigating rivers and bays at night for spotting hazards like crab pots and buoys, finding creek entrances, and avoiding shoals, etc.

I bought an Olight M2x-UT last year thinking the pencil thin beam would help me avoid bounce back from the bow. But the few times I've used it the beam seemed good for spotting distance markers I was looking for but a bit too tight for searching the waterway 100-200 yards in front of my course for hazards. I do like that I can easily keep a single extra 18650 in my dry box as backup.

I think that I'm looking for something small enough to fit in an ammo can, easy to use one handed, tough enough to get beat around and with a beam profile that is throwy enough to avoid backscatter but not so tight I get tunnel vision.

Any suggestions from fellow boaters appreciated.

PS: I also use an old Petzl Tacticca red lens headlamp for work inside the boat and am thinking of upgrading that as well with a red LED headlamp I can leave aboard.

archimedes

Flashaholic
No problem.

Your other thread on this topic isn't too old .... Feel free to bump that one back up, if you don't find a helpful newer thread.

Closing this for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.