Best L.E.D.?

UVLaser

Enlightened
Which LED has the best focus lens. I was looking at Princeton Tec Impact and at the
Princeton Tec Impact 2 and the PTI2 looks brighter then the PTI is this ture? Is there brighter LEDs that have a focus lens?
Thanks
~Michael~

paulr

Flashaholic
Sure. Elektrolumens Blaster V comes to mind immediately. "Tighter focus" and "brighter hotspot" don't necessarily mean "better" of course. Wide beams are useful too.

stockwiz

Enlightened

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello UVLaser,

The Impact and the Impact 2 are very close in brightness. I believe the Impact wins, but just barely.

You may have seen a difference in batteries, or a variation in LED's.

The PALight also has a focus lens and it is similar in brightness to the Impact 2.

I am not sure how the LEDLenser lights perform.

Tom

UVLaser

Enlightened
I was looking at the PT Impact II review on LEDMUSEUM web site and it look brighter then the PT Impact it says "90,400mcd" for the PT Impact II and for the PT Impact it says "72,600mcd" but in the pics the PT Impact II looks brighter and whiter

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Michael,

I only have the Impact so I can not compare the two. I was looking at Doug's (Quickbeam) output vs throw chart.

It looks like there can be some variability between the same units.

I might also add that I got my Impact expecting a good throwing beam. I found out that the beam is a bit narrow, and it really is not that bright. I find the beam from a Mini Mag modified with the BB400 much more useful. I have ended up using this light as a back up light and a source of extra batteries. Of course, your mileage and needs may vary.

Tom

Kram

Newly Enlightened
Michael,

I have both the Impact and the Impact II. Both are great lights with good throw. The brightness of the beam at the center is similar for both lights. The Impact II has a shiny, polished reflector. The Impact LED is in a shiny BLACK reflector and I think the convex lens may be just a tiny bit larger. The net result is that the Impact II has a brighter corona (though with rings). The Impact has, I believe, a slightly larger beam width and one secondary ring.

Both lights are great (IMO) for outside use and (again IMO) have enough sidespill to allow their use for walking or whatever. Obviously, the Impact is larger (4AA vs 4AAA) but it also has a longer battery life.

As always, it's a matter of tradeoffs. For pocket carry, the Impact II is probably the better choice because of its size and the included built-in clip. For heavy duty use or glove compartment carry, I would choose the Impact.

I think someone mentioned the PALight, as well. It's focused beam is similar in brightness, but there is NO sidespill at all with this light. Likewise with the Inova X1.

Any one of these lights would be a good choice, depending on how you plan to use them. The Impacts are probably a bit more versatile due to their usable sidespill and absolute waterproofness (rated to 500 feet!). The Inova X1 is proving to be a convenient, durable EDC pocket light for me.

Hope I didn't confuse more than help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Whichever of these lights you choose, I think you'll be a winner!

Mark

UVLaser

Enlightened
Thanks a bunch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, I think I am going with the Impact II it uses aaa battery which I have a ton of. Do they sell the Impact II at Walmart? or a Sport Authority?
Thanks alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
~Michael~

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I haven't ever taken a shining to a focusing lense yet.

I use Writeright on one or two lights of that sort (Brinkmann Rebel for one). I took the focusing lense out of my X1 in favor of a more flood beam.

My Impact is in my Dads truck as an emergency light as he doesn't notice lousy beams!

I can't imagine that I would like an Impact II all that much. Attitude works better for me.

jbrett14

Enlightened
The Impact does have a brighter beam in my comparison. I regretfully own both of these lights. I say this because, after being so impressed with these lights in the store, I come to find out in practice that these tight beams are not very useful at all, unless you are diving. I then bought the Attitude which was much more useful for general use. All of my PT lights have had problems with staying on. They either flicker or don't light at all, and I had them for only a few months. They have been sent to the warranty division for replacement hopefully. But then again, I don't really need them now since I have greatly improved my lighting needs with Streamlights awesome products. If you want a tight beam in a light of comparable size, I highly recommend the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon Tasklight. This light is awesome, and it's at least twice the brightness of the Impact. Unlike the PT, it also has very good surrounding light, and a better switch that only requires one hand operation. I am looking forward to the Junior when it comes out. Does anyone know when it is available? If you prefer standard LED's over Luxeon, the SL 4AA Poly 7 LED is very useful for it's flood of light, nice switch, and very durable construction.

Kram

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif OK. I admit it. I'm a focused beam junkie. I really like the narrow beams, particularly when they have just a little bit of sidespill to make them more generally useful.

I suspect this is one of those things that is a matter of taste, the uses to which you plan to put the light, the acuity of individual night vision and, possibly, may provide some psychological insight into my personality makeup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

In fairness, most of the opinions I hear on this board lean toward the broader beam, floodlight-like lights and there is a passion for the brightest possible LED light.

Maybe it's my age and the fact that I put up with really terrible incandescent flashlights for so many years. I really like the long runtime that is possible with LEDs and am willing to sacrifice brightness for that goal.

Michael, in answer to your question as to where to buy the Impact II, I know some sporting goods retailers have it (Galyans here in North Texas has it and I suspect REI has it). You can probably find a better deal online, though. I noticed Texas Tactical Supply listed them in the Dealer's section of CPF for $11.99 each (if they have any left). Here's an attempt at a link:

web page

Good luck, and don't blame me if you find the beam too narrow. I really like the light, but I like unmodified PALights and the Inova X1, too.

Mark

jbrett14

Enlightened
If you want an even better deal, I will sell you both of my PT's (Black Impact and Green Impact II), as I don't see ever using them again. They are like brand new. I thought I would be more like Kram with his passion for focused beam, wanting a laser tight beam that would throw a long way. I generally don't like floodlight type flashlights. I'm real fussy about the quality of the beam and circle. I still like this benefit, but with my new TaskLight I get the best of both: A very tight beam with even further throw, without giving up surrounding light. As, I said before, the PT just gets annoying to me, not being able to see things even 2' outside of the beam. It is a little too focused for me. I don't own many lights, but I am curious to see what could compete against the SL 3AA Luxeon in the same price range.