Need help on a 3v PR-T options

akula88

Enlightened
I'd like your recommendation (and possible cost?) on what components (emitters, LS-wattage, etc) are needed to achieve this output on a PR-T head bezel :

1. Runs regulated on an 3V (either using 1xCR123A E1/VG123 or 2xNiMH-AA VGAA or UBH) host.
2. Bright hotspot, out-throwing an L4. I prefer hotspot vs flood. I already have a stock KL-1 for indoor flood capability.
3. Respectable regulated runtime -- at least 1 hour.

Secondary requirement: ability to run in 6V using 2xCR123A on my E2-body or a future 2xCR2 body.

I won't be doing this personally. I'll let someone here (in CPF) do the soldering, epoxying, etc.

Thanks.

Johnny

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
akula,

Going by the specs above, you'll need a buck/boost converter, such as the Wizard. I'd go with a bias in the neighborhood of 500-600mA to keep brightness and stay pretty close to your 1 hour runtime requirement on a single 123. If runtime is important I'd go with the 500mA bias, since the wizard is relatively inefficient.

I would also consider going with a nice 1W LED rather than a 3W. Although I don't have any testing equipment, I do believe that I've gotten better performance results with 1W's in situations where current is kept under the 700mA range.

Although I'm not a current hound and tend to stay on the conservative side of things, I do like to run in the 700mA neighborhood. That's why I recommended 500-600mA. If you wanted to be practical, you might want to consider a wizard 400. You'd really be surprised at the performance that you can get from a nice 1W luxeon bouncing its beam off of a PR.

As far as cost goes, you're probably looking at:

$10-$20 for a luxeon (either 1W or 3W)
$20 for a converter
$45 for the PR-T kit
$05 for incidentals like wire and AA epoxy (this stuff's expensive.
$?? for labor depending on the modder that you go to.

The labor using a wizard converter may be a little more because the wizards I've seen required the fabrication of an anode contact and housing to be used in a PR head.

The best way to go about it would be to have two heads built. Whenever you try to accomplish too much with one light, you sacrifice a lot. With the requirements that you specified you'll be sacrificing brightness on a 2X123 body and you'll be sacrificing runtime (efficiency) on the 1X123 body.

If you were to build a PR-T with a BadBoy500 for the 1X123 body, you could have really good brightness for a light that size and have your solid 1 hour of runtime. You could then build a PR-T with a DownBoy700 and have a really bright light that will run for around 2 hours.

I hope this helps.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What Chop said. Did he mention that the wizard is a PITA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I think I put that in terms of costing more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

akula88

Enlightened
Tony & Don> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif You are the MEN on these. Using 3v, please enlightment me on BB500 and BB611. How far would a BB611 runtime be? What are TWAK, SWAK, TWOK, R1H, etc?

So, would you recommended that I have a 3v EDC, then a 6v Back-up EDC?

I've read the shootout on the 123 lights, but lost the address. Anyone care to post the link?

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
What Chop said. Did he mention that the wizard is a PITA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

McGizmo,

Can a bare PR head be modified to accept a sammie? I've got several sammies for firefly and mini-mag. I'm sure getting spoiled by the modular benifits of being able to insert different sammies for different applications.

Has someone done this already? inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
CY

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Akula88,

I don't do run times so someone else will have to enlighten you.

cy,

I suspect that with some effort, a PR (T) head could be bored out and an adapter made to host a sammich. I agree that modularity is nice but personally, I'll take the superior thermal and ground path of the standard PR build over the modularity potential of the sammich. I think the McModule is a viable alternative as well if modularity is the key goal.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

I've never claimed to be a genius or anything. I just put lights together. I don't invent, design, or understand anything. Hell, I might be using my DMM wrong, but I've never been able to get more than about 575mA in regulation on a single 123. As far as I'm concerned, going with the 611 may be a waste of time. With dedicated single 123 lights, I stay with the BadBoy500. It's plenty bright and you get better than an hour of runtime. The heat doesn't get out of hand either.

I just built two single 123 lights based on turned down PR's and both are running Q3J's at about 500mA and they both outperform a modded KL4 running on a single 123.

If you build a fireplug with a BB500 and the PR in that McLux PR-T head, you won't be disappointed.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried running a Downboy on just 3v?

I was thinking of a mod with 3x123a or 2xC.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you run a DB on 3V, it will not regulate and it will run in direct drive mode. The output could be considered useable, but not bright by any standard.

Latest posts