Need UV, want thrower, confused about where and what to buy

TimR

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ihave a need for a 365 nm UV flashlight, and a desire for a brightthrower. If I could solve both at the same time, that would be aplus. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'vesearched all the UV threads I can find here, and there are two mainrecommendations: a P60 dropin, or a Convoy S2+. At the moment Idon't own a P60 host, nor do I have a charger for 18650, so eitherway I have to buy more than just the light, but that's okay. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'mconfused about what and where to buy. I do a lot on Amazon. Theyhave Convoys at prices from $20 - $60, and with various manufacturersnames on them. Which is real, or is there a better place to shop? There's no much description, and it's hard to tell which arecomplete lights and which just a host, if that's possible. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Isthe Convoy like the P60, in taking different modules, so I could havea UV and a thrower? [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anyadvice you have would be welcome. I got my first advice for aheadlamp here, and that led to another, and and…….[/FONT]

TimR

Newly Enlightened
UV throwers are uncommon. A c8 with a nichia 365nm and driver swap would probably do what you need but you'll still need an 18650 charger.

Apologies for my poor description.

I don't need a UV thrower, just a UV.

But in addition, I could use an additional light, a good thrower. I have mostly headlamps and floody low powered lights, that's mostly what I need; but I want another bright thrower.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Let's stick to one or the other for this thread, please.

Since there are endless threads on CPF for you to browse about "throwers" ... this one can be about ultraviolet output.

You mentioned some prices above, but not really a budget.

Malkoff and McGizmo both make high-quality powerful UV torches.

Good recommendations on this topic require more information about your intended uses.

Appropriate eye protection is very important, as well.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP-Nitecore MH27 or SRT7GT. BOTH have the UV option you are looking for. BOTH are easy 850+ lumen decent range 1x18650 size (medium not huge but not small either)at max. BOTH have multi color LED option or 2 colors +UV. A bit pricey at roughly $100 USD each but the UV option in my MH27 is extremely good. I also have Nitecore's dedicated UV ONLY 1x18650 size EC10. It also puts out the UV you are looking for but has a very small reflector and only has a few feet of range. It IS cheaper though.

My MH27 with the UV option easily throws the UV twice as far. When you are talking about a UV 365 nm light /option anything more than say 6 or 8 feet is VERY good in my experience at least.

The P60 option is going to likely end up costing you about 25% less than the Nitecores. It will not throw as far either but should do better than the Nitecore UV Only EC10 I mentioned. Also, Hey! It is good to have a P60 light around! There are so MANY drop in options it is mind boggling!

In my own personal experience my MH27 with UV/there is another MH27 that has 3 other color LEDS besides the main LED Red Green Blue then there is the MH27 with main LED Red Green and UV. I am VERY impressed with mine. Have a very old large leaky house I am always checking for leaks. It works very well...good luck!

Raccoon

Enlightened
UV throwers are uncommon. A c8 with a nichia 365nm and driver swap would probably do what you need but you'll still need an 18650 charger.

What are the specs on this nichia 365nm emitter, and is that the defacto emitter that we're going to find in 365nm torches?

I'd like to start with what emitters are out there (that are handy), their output and who uses them? How cheap would the cheapest 365nm flashlight be?

I know that 395 nm lights are a dime a dozen, but there are a few cheap offerings of 365 nm lights... even on Amazon (awarded Amazon Choice) as cheap as $10/ea or 2 for $12.
Would I be wise to steer clear of these? What's the least $ that anyone should spend on a 365 nm torch before it risks being a fake?

I also see a 'Nitecore Chameleon CU6' on Amazon for $110, which claims to be a 3 watt emitter. How well does that place in the suggestions made here so far? Nobody has mentioned a wattage rating yet.

I came here looking for a 330 ~ 365 nm inspection light, as recommended for identifying ringworm, a dermatological parasite encountered by outdoor pets / animals. Literature recommends a Wood's lamp.

Last edited:

TimR

Newly Enlightened
Let's stick to one or the other for this thread, please.

Since there are endless threads on CPF for you to browse about "throwers" ... this one can be about ultraviolet output.

Thanks. Sorry about combining topics. My intent was just UV, but with an eye to a platform that would lend itself to other uses like a thrower.

Budget is circa $100, and usage is mostly pest tracking (mouse urine etc.) and quick charging glow golf discs.

That Nitecore is intriguing.

Is there a better source than Amazon?

archimedes

Flashaholic
UV is mostly used at very short range, the exact opposite of a thrower, so there may not be much in that "combo" category

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a cheap P60 module off Ebay, I think it was under $10

since I rarely use and mostly for currency authentication as the only practical use I've really applied it to. yeah, it's neat on other things too but that's the number one thing IMO.

Well worth it and not sure I need a $150 device I will never really use. And the Ebay module *is* 365nm. Or so they say, anyway.

It runs well with high voltage like 4x123.

Raccoon

Enlightened
I also see some 365 nm cob (chip on board) emitter arrays on eBay, from 10W to 100W, but this requires your own current regulator driver, body and a lens assembly.
I don't know very much about building a flashlight, let alone thrower optics from a cob array. I see there are cob specific lenses and holders on YouTube video builds.
But the price is right for such high outputs compared to any of the single-emitter offerings.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the specs on this nichia 365nm emitter, and is that the defacto emitter that we're going to find in 365nm torches?

I'd like to start with what emitters are out there (that are handy), their output and who uses them? How cheap would the cheapest 365nm flashlight be?

I know that 395 nm lights are a dime a dozen, but there are a few cheap offerings of 365 nm lights... even on Amazon (awarded Amazon Choice) as cheap as $10/ea or 2 for $12.
Would I be wise to steer clear of these? What's the least $ that anyone should spend on a 365 nm torch before it risks being a fake?

I also see a 'Nitecore Chameleon CU6' on Amazon for $110, which claims to be a 3 watt emitter. How well does that place in the suggestions made here so far? Nobody has mentioned a wattage rating yet.

I came here looking for a 330 ~ 365 nm inspection light, as recommended for identifying ringworm, a dermatological parasite encountered by outdoor pets / animals. Literature recommends a Wood's lamp.

The Nichia in question: NCSU276AT is fairly well known and you can find it's datasheet online easy. It is probably the cheapest high quality emitter which is why you find it often.[h=3][/h]

Raccoon

Enlightened
The Nichia in question: NCSU276AT is fairly well known and you can find it's datasheet online easy. It is probably the cheapest high quality emitter which is why you find it often.[h=3][/h]

NCSU276AT Radiated Flux: 780 mW @ Forward Current: 500 mA *(700 mA max) @ Forward Voltage: 3.8 V == Power: 1.9 Watt. For viewers playing at home.

TimR

Newly Enlightened
Here's an update - it always seems rude to start a thread and then never reveal the end.

I considered the various dropin and convoy options but in the end, went with a budget UV light.

It is the UV301 LIGHTFE, seems to be Korean made. Single LED, single AA, just under $30. I have no way to measure if it is really 365 but it shows dog and mouse urine that my 390 doesn't, and does a nice job on currency.

The day I ordered it I found the Streamlight Night Com UV, and would have preferred that, but it was too late. Maybe for Christmas.

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions; I learned a lot reading them.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS does a UV (limited till they run out) pricy but very good light by a man who KNOWS how to build lights for those not familiar

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ihave a need for a 365 nm UV flashlight, and a desire for a brightthrower. If I could solve both at the same time, that would be aplus. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'vesearched all the UV threads I can find here, and there are two mainrecommendations: a P60 dropin, or a Convoy S2+. At the moment Idon't own a P60 host, nor do I have a charger for 18650, so eitherway I have to buy more than just the light, but that's okay. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'mconfused about what and where to buy. I do a lot on Amazon. Theyhave Convoys at prices from $20 - $60, and with various manufacturersnames on them. Which is real, or is there a better place to shop? There's no much description, and it's hard to tell which arecomplete lights and which just a host, if that's possible. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Isthe Convoy like the P60, in taking different modules, so I could havea UV and a thrower? [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anyadvice you have would be welcome. I got my first advice for aheadlamp here, and that led to another, and and…….[/FONT]
Preorder uv light at discount

https://darksucks.com/collections/p...209336509&mc_cid=83fc13a060&mc_eid=941aaeca48