Windows XP blue sceen of death!?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think I had to worry about the "blue screen of death" with windows XP, I guess I was wrong. Anyone else see this before? Is this a sign of something major or is it just windows being windows?

bluescreen.jpg

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely a bad driver or some of your memory is starting to fail. It's not windows being windows. XP doesn't bluescreen unless there is a good reason for it.

Greta

Flashaholic
My daughter had this problem. I'm assuming that your XP is about 2 years old now? You have one of the first "versions" to come out? There's an issue with it locking up and then when you do what you normally do... push the power button to turn it off so you can restart... you get this screen. Microsoft will offer to sell you a current "version" of XP if you call them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif ... But I would try to go to the Windows update site first and get all of the patches and security updates. If I remember correctly, that fixed it for my daughter.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Thanks saaby for the cd link. I can use this to fix all those computers that have never had an update and are still on 56k. Although, with phone lines around here, some people are getting 20-22k.

stockwiz

Enlightened
What the others said.. either a bad driver or a bad hardware device. I used to have this problem with a bad nvidia geforce drivers.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is up to date, I keep it that way. The only thing I added recently was a USB 2.0 PCI hub. I guess it could be the problem but everything seems to work fine and it's been installed for about 6 weeks without incident (until now).

I'll keep an eye on it.

Sasha, how do I tell if I have "old" XP you are referring to? Mine is about 16 months old.

Negeltu

Enlightened
If it doesn't happen again... then don't worry about it... Just make sure you have xp up to date

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right click on "My Computer", select propoerties. At the top it should tell you what version, and service pack you are running.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
In later versions of windows (like XP and such), there is an option in IE that is TOOLS/WINDOWS UPDATE. Try this one too... The auto updater only works on critical updates. The manual updater also will find new drivers and major program upgrades (for media player, etc.) too.

I was getting a major crash (not all the way to blue screen) every so often and I updated the drivers through this feature and it solved that problem.

-Bill